In defense of EJ (yeah, I said it!)

BmarvB

You mentioned that EJ was seen by most executives as a 2nd or 3rd rounder. That is what I was talking about. I hear that all the time but there is no evidence for that.

Bill Polian said it on ESPN moments after the pick when Berman asked him where he would have picked him. So there's one for ya. it was on national TV within a minute of the Bills pick. I heard Polian during his career had some success in ranking QB's.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a difference between "not being able to get anything offensively," and what EJ did. Two TO's returned for TD's is absolutely worst case scenario, as a starter or back up. Not to mention a third TO right after on our 30?

It looked like he was trying to throw the game. Unacceptable. If he throws only 1 pick six, we win easy.

what is unacceptable is you constant taunting. EJ threw the game? Pass the LSD.

Geno: Clearly superior qb. (to EJ)

now I have to clean the coffee from my keyboard.

Geno Smith is clearly superior to EJ. Someone will whip out stats and tell me I am wrong but I know what I see. And btw it isn't close.

EJ: Much nicer kid.

Geno: Clearly superior qb.

Sorry, but I felt the need to air it out. :)

what is unacceptable is you constant taunting. EJ threw the game? Pass the LSD.

Geno: Clearly superior qb. (to EJ)

now I have to clean the coffee from my keyboard.

It looked like he was trying to throw the game. That's how awful he was. He made so many terrible, game-breaking mistakes, it looked like he was actively trying to lose.

I don't think he was, obviously. He was just scared shitless, and he kinda sucks.

Edited by FireChan

EJ had a chance to win the game with 2+minutes let's not forget. These EJ support groups are missing the point with all of these 'yeah...buts'.

Yeah but...he bounced back really well... great, the defense let up to just protect the lead

Yeah but...21 points should have been enough pts to win against the bengals"... WRONG. It wasn't enough points. And I'd argue that if the game was closer, it would have been 17 pts maximum that he would have scored. Everyone ignores the game flow when breaking down EJ's successes, but when the opposing defense need to stop EJ, they do so with ease. This could not have been more apparent on the final drive of the Jax game.

He failed when it counted... He is the biggest reason by far that they lost this game.

I'll give him credit for not completley folding during one of the worst 3-drive stretches in the history of quarterback play... But he is a terrible quarterback.

It looked like he was trying to throw the game. That's how awful he was. He made so many terrible, game-breaking mistakes, it looked like he was actively trying to lose.

I don't think he was, obviously. He was just scared shitless, and he kinda sucks.

you need to go back on ignore.

EJ had a chance to win the game with 2+minutes let's not forget. These EJ support groups are missing the point with all of these 'yeah...buts'.

Yeah but...he bounced back really well... great, the defense let up to just protect the lead

Yeah but...21 points should have been enough pts to win against the bengals"... WRONG. It wasn't enough points. And I'd argue that if the game was closer, it would have been 17 pts maximum that he would have scored. Everyone ignores the game flow when breaking down EJ's successes, but when the opposing defense need to stop EJ, they do so with ease. This could not have been more apparent on the final drive of the Jax game.

He failed when it counted... He is the biggest reason by far that they lost this game.

I'll give him credit for not completley folding during one of the worst 3-drive stretches in the history of quarterback play... But he is a terrible quarterback.

AGAIN - most of us EJ supporters agree he is the backup. You trash EJ yet you still insist he play like Brady or Rodgers.

Come on......he handed them 18 points in a matter of minutes (not counting the TD after the second pick which the defense bears some responsibility for).

Sure, he connected on a couple of long balls when he didn't have to worry about anything other than chucking it up deep because they were so far behind, but the guy is horrible. The missed TD early in the game was the kind of throw you see in a bad high school game. And I can't think of an NFL QB with a worse internal clock in the pocket. He simply has no idea what to do if his primary receiver is covered and there's no wide open outlet.

Why would a 'ground and pound' offense roll EJ to the left to pass (he's a right handed passer) on a critical 4th and 1

Worst call of the game, but likely highlights how little they trust EJ to pick out the right receiver and/or accurately hit a quick slant.

Obviously they should have been throwing on 2d and 1 and 3d and 1 in their own territory with less than a minute and a half to go.

Sure he screwed up but it wasn't EJs fault 100%. Poor play calls and also everyone was covered on several plays that mattered. Whether a short 2nd or a 3rd down.

He did well! He led the team to a comeback. But Corey Graham sealed our win. They just had to last one more drive. Unfortunately we all know the outcome or there would be "Will EJ take the #1 spot?" Threads.

The joy of heroin.

EJ's the back-up QB and he plays like one - makes some good plays & makes some bad plays. Althought Tyrod seems to be better, we still don't know what we have there (at QB). Until we have a bona fide QB, the Bills are doomed to no better than 8-9 wins, especially as long as our #1 Defense plays like a #23 unit. Remember w/EJ at QB in London, the Bills had the lead with 5 minutes to go. It was that "#1" Defense that allowed a rookie QB to lead his team down the field.

EJ's the back-up QB and he plays like one - makes some good plays & makes some bad plays. Althought Tyrod seems to be better, we still don't know what we have there (at QB). Until we have a bona fide QB, the Bills are doomed to no better than 8-9 wins, especially as long as our #1 Defense plays like a #23 unit. Remember w/EJ at QB in London, the Bills had the lead with 5 minutes to go. It was that "#1" Defense that allowed a rookie QB to lead his team down the field.

valid points

FWIW an off the cuff observation - since Taylor left Baltimore

what happened there?

Edited by NOVABillsFan

EJ looks to me like a QB with a real confidence problem. He's over thinking things and has a tendency to aim some of his passes instead of letting them fly. You can see this on some of his easier and shorter throws where he doesn't trust himself and misses badly. His mechanics change and It almost looks like he's shot putting the ball. This inconsistency compounds itself.

The pass on fourth down at the end of the game was not a well thrown pass as he was trying to be too careful with the ball and actually lobbed the pass, giving the defender ample time to react and knock it down. A QB with confidence steps back and fires the ball to the receiver.

EJ looks to me like a QB with a real confidence problem. He's over thinking things and has a tendency to aim some of his passes instead of letting them fly. You can see this on some of his easier and shorter throws where he doesn't trust himself and misses badly. His mechanics change and It almost looks like he's shot putting the ball. This inconsistency compounds itself.

The pass on fourth down at the end of the game was not a well thrown pass as he was trying to be too careful with the ball and actually lobbed the pass, giving the defender ample time to react and knock it down. A QB with confidence steps back and fires the ball to the receiver.

Maybe it is me, but when he was in a hurry up mode the Offense seemed to work a bit better. Less time to think just react.

That might be an insult to Fitzy. Fitzy doesn't have the arm talent but he doesn't play with deer in headlights type poise that EJ does.

That's what I'm saying. If EJ's a backup, he's not even playing at the level of Fitz, a career backup. EJ doesn't have to be Brady.

Come on......he handed them 18 points in a matter of minutes (not counting the TD after the second pick which the defense bears some responsibility for).

Sure, he connected on a couple of long balls when he didn't have to worry about anything other than chucking it up deep because they were so far behind, but the guy is horrible. The missed TD early in the game was the kind of throw you see in a bad high school game. And I can't think of an NFL QB with a worse internal clock in the pocket. He simply has no idea what to do if his primary receiver is covered and there's no wide open outlet.

Worst call of the game, but likely highlights how little they trust EJ to pick out the right receiver and/or accurately hit a quick slant.

Obviously they should have been throwing on 2d and 1 and 3d and 1 in their own territory with less than a minute and a half to go.

... and the throw that should have been picked off in the end zone by Telvin Smith may have been the worst throw of all of them given the circumstances. I mean, one can sort of forgive telegraphing a pass to a LB just sitting there the first time given that all QBs do it once in a while, but a second time? He is terrible.

The Falcons were just held to 10pts vs the Titans.... I guess TT solo is better than Matt Ryan, Julio Jones, and Devonte Freeman combined.

But lets talk about how we wish/think/hope/poop out that EJ is the Bills future!

I've been pretty critical of EJ since midway through his rookie season, but I have to admit that as bad as he was, He played the best football of his NFL career in the second half of that game. Yes, he still made mistakes (threw a would be pick in the end zone) and melted down on the final drive, but otherwise he showed better composure and ball placement than I've seen from him.

My theory is that after 3 TOs on 3 drives he knew it couldn't get any worse, thus no pressure, he relaxed and just played football. Then with the game on the line again he felt the pressure and collapsed.

What I'm saying is perhaps he's a good QB except for his inability to overcome the jitters. If TT missed more time, I suggest we give EJ xanax before the game and see how he does.

Edited by Rob's House