Reasons NOT to Watch Bills/Jags on Yahoo

blzrul

but apparently very difficult for some people

So you're as bad at reading as you are at posting. "Oh, just go buy a firestick, oh, just plug your laptop into your TV" sure why now, that's all way better than just turning the TV on. My point was, and I believe I expressed it clearly, though for the remedial reading crowd I guess not clearly enough, this is dumb to add a bunch of steps for the average fan to watch the game. If you think the average NFL fan, particularly those who aren't tech savvy, are prepared to watch the game on Sunday, you're nuts. My parents, who are 300 miles away, will not watch the game, unless the go to a neighbors house who are already set up with streaming apparatus. Sorry this is so hard for you to understand, I'll type slower next time.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I get this but connecting an HDMI cable from laptop to the TV is the easiest thing to do....check the world wide interweb if help is needed.

I used to work tech support for Dish Network. I had an old lady tell me she didn't know how to plug in an HDMI cable. It got to the point where I was like, "Do you have a toster? Yes? Ok good. Plug it in just like the toster, into that little spot on the TV that says HDMI."

This all makes me think of the great SNL line from last week:

"What's the deal with emails anyway? I forgot my password the other day, so they say 'We'll email you a new one.' But I can't get into my email to get the password. I mean, talk about a ball-buster."

So you're as bad at reading as you are at posting. "Oh, just go buy a firestick, oh, just plug your laptop into your TV" sure why now, that's all way better than just turning the TV on. My point was, and I believe I expressed it clearly, though for the remedial reading crowd I guess not clearly enough, this is dumb to add a bunch of steps for the average fan to watch the game. If you think the average NFL fan, particularly those who aren't tech savvy, are prepared to watch the game on Sunday, you're nuts. My parents, who are 300 miles away, will not watch the game, unless the go to a neighbors house who are already set up with streaming apparatus. Sorry this is so hard for you to understand, I'll type slower next time.

Most people can't just turn on the TV, they need a satellite dish, a paid subscription and a Sunday Ticket subscription.... and please don't type slower, I don't have the time to spend on this.

Sorry for jumping in the middle of this but clicking on yahoo.com should be pretty easy for most people.

Most people can't just turn on the TV, they need a satellite dish, a paid subscription and a Sunday Ticket subscription.... and please don't type slower, I don't have the time to spend on this.

Weird it's almost as if we've already accounted for those people...who already have a TV and dish and sunday ticket, and watch like most people do, but now when they go to turn the game on Sunday morning will be told to "click on yahoo.com" we should just give them you're number, you seem like you're a really smart guy, brimming with answers.

Sorry for jumping in the middle of this but clicking on yahoo.com should be pretty easy for most people.

For people who are already set up to stream content over IP, yeah, sure. That's not most people. It WILL be most people, in a few years, but I expect that come mid day Sunday there's going to be a lot of pissed of fans that weren't able to watch the game (or, might have been able to, but tried for a minute or two and said the hell with it). I don't think it's a mistake that the NFL let yahoo stream the game between the Jags and Bills, will probably keep the interested parties to a minimum.

Edited by dorquemada

Weird it's almost as if we've already accounted for those people...who already have a TV and dish and sunday ticket, and watch like most people do, but now when they go to turn the game on Sunday morning will be told to "click on yahoo.com" we should just give them you're number, you seem like you're a really smart guy, brimming with answers.

For people who are already set up to stream content over IP, yeah, sure. That's not most people. It WILL be most people, in a few years, but I expect that come mid day Sunday there's going to be a lot of pissed of fans that weren't able to watch the game (or, might have been able to, but tried for a minute or two and said the hell with it). I don't think it's a mistake that the NFL let yahoo stream the game between the Jags and Bills, will probably keep the interested parties to a minimum.

Right, but they didn't have the dish before NFL Ticket, they had to do something different... like now. Should I type slower for you?

Wouldn't it be funny if my setup didn't work Sunday morning!

and you can't figure out how to get the game on your TV? Are you any good at your job?

Cobblers children have no shoes. Ever heard that one? Means that what you do for your paid gig is not something you want to do on your own time.

I'm a Web Programmer and I don't want to screw around with computer stuff when I'm not working. Least of all to watch a football game that normally I just turn the TV on to watch. Add to that that I usually TIVO the game and watch it a little later so as to fast forward through commercials which I won't be able to do.

So, I can see his point.

WTF? This is must see streaming. Bills vs. Jags classic American big time football............

I would love to purchase single games. And they won't be $25.

That price point would price out most of their target audience.

College kids, retirees, travelers, and most country's who already have little interest in the NFL.

Right, but they didn't have the dish before NFL Ticket, they had to do something different... like now. Should I type slower for you?

Wouldn't it be funny if my setup didn't work Sunday morning!

Wow you're something. Let's use 2 examples, maybe you're a visual learner;

Family 1: Long time Bills fans, live in Denver, CO. Have had DTV and Sunday ticket for 10 years. Not huge media consumers, but like watching football. Do not have a firestick, Roku, Chromecast, etc. The do have a previous generation gaming console.

Family 1 is used to seeing what time the game is on, and either recording it, or planning on being in front of TV. Family 1 sees that game is on early Sunday (weird!) but, doesn't quite catch that it isn't on TV. They turn on the TV Sunday morning and lo and behold, damnit no game. Quick look at your phone and see what channel it's on. Oh wow look it's streaming on yahoo.com. Gee honey can we do that on our TV? I really want to watch the game. Welp, I'm not sure! Let me see, oh the PS3 is saying it needs to do a system update to get onto the PS NEtwork. (45 min later) ok it looks like we can get online. Point the browser at yahoo.com Oh look it needs a different plugin that isn't supported on the Sony browser. You know what, eff it, lets go out to breakfast instead. Lather, rinse, repeat a million times.

Family 2: klos63, generally unpleasant personality, tends to watch games by himself, doesn't mind making his living room look like a server room, damnit the cat stepped on my laptop and paused the stream now I have to get up and there's potato chips all over the floor, but I can be smugly self satisfied that this is way better than just turning on Directv and watching the game, like most people have done for the last 20 years

Now, do you think there are more NFL watching households that match Family 1, or Family 2?

You are correct. I have a smart TV, I have DirecTV, I have iPads and PC's and smartphones, I have wi-fi, I have mobile broadband. And it's still going to be a pain in the ass for me if I want to watch on Sunday.

Hence my boycott statement - does anyone really think the NFL gives a damn? If they see lots of folks sucking it up and streaming this game, guess what? It was a success as far as they're concerned. Next thing you know, you're paying for a subscription service like NFL Ticket, but 1-2 times a year you're going to either be connecting cables, squinting at a smartphone and oh, by the way, paying for those 1-2 views on top of it. And then, eventually, they'll PPV the games AND charge premium for the data you use.

My prediction is that tech support lines are going to jam up starting tomorrow afternoon when people start to set up and test their kludgy systems, and PEAK around kickoff. I'll be sleeping snug in my bed

By the way, since you're new, don't let the idiots get you down. There are a few factions here, but it does seem like the largest or at least most vocal are "guys with no lives" who either still live at home with mom and dad or are perhaps in a college dorm with not enough homework. B-)

Seriously? If yahoo made this any easier to stream it would be laughable? " a bunch of steps?" Do you really know

what you're talking about? A moron could set this up.

You are correct. I have a smart TV, I have DirecTV, I have iPads and PC's and smartphones, I have wi-fi, I have mobile broadband. And it's still going to be a pain in the ass for me if I want to watch on Sunday.

Hence my boycott statement - does anyone really think the NFL gives a damn? If they see lots of folks sucking it up and streaming this game, guess what? It was a success as far as they're concerned. Next thing you know, you're paying for a subscription service like NFL Ticket, but 1-2 times a year you're going to either be connecting cables, squinting at a smartphone and oh, by the way, paying for those 1-2 views on top of it. And then, eventually, they'll PPV the games AND charge premium for the data you use.

My prediction is that tech support lines are going to jam up starting tomorrow afternoon when people start to set up and test their kludgy systems, and PEAK around kickoff. I'll be sleeping snug in my bed

By the way, since you're new, don't let the idiots get you down. There are a few factions here, but it does seem like the largest or at least most vocal are "guys with no lives" who either still live at home with mom and dad or are perhaps in a college dorm with not enough homework. B-)

You're spot on. The NFL gauges success by a single metric, all else to the side. That metric is, how much money did we make? If DTV pays the NFL $1.5b per year for the Sunday ticket (number from memory, could be wrong?) that basically means that each game played is around $3m. If Yahoo or google or Amazon offered them $3m and one cent per game, I can tell you exactly what they would do, and wouldn't lose a moment of sleep in doing it.

The best hope is that the streaming is otherwise a disaster (tech issues, lots of complaints about the quality of the stream, whatever) and that they think better of it, but I think it would have to be a really bad reaction for the league to stop going down this path.

Seriously? If yahoo made this any easier to stream it would be laughable? " a bunch of steps?" Do you really know

what you're talking about? A moron could set this up.

Sure, for people who are already set up to stream, or for the sociopaths that actually want to watch the game on their phone. Maybe I'm an outlier, but most people I know who are NFL fans want to watch on a TV and want to keep the screwing around with the TV/laptop/new device to a minimum.

Wow you're something. Let's use 2 examples, maybe you're a visual learner;

Family 1: Long time Bills fans, live in Denver, CO. Have had DTV and Sunday ticket for 10 years. Not huge media consumers, but like watching football. Do not have a firestick, Roku, Chromecast, etc. The do have a previous generation gaming console.

Family 1 is used to seeing what time the game is on, and either recording it, or planning on being in front of TV. Family 1 sees that game is on early Sunday (weird!) but, doesn't quite catch that it isn't on TV. They turn on the TV Sunday morning and lo and behold, damnit no game. Quick look at your phone and see what channel it's on. Oh wow look it's streaming on yahoo.com. Gee honey can we do that on our TV? I really want to watch the game. Welp, I'm not sure! Let me see, oh the PS3 is saying it needs to do a system update to get onto the PS NEtwork. (45 min later) ok it looks like we can get online. Point the browser at yahoo.com Oh look it needs a different plugin that isn't supported on the Sony browser. You know what, eff it, lets go out to breakfast instead. Lather, rinse, repeat a million times.

Family 2: klos63, generally unpleasant personality, tends to watch games by himself, doesn't mind making his living room look like a server room, damnit the cat stepped on my laptop and paused the stream now I have to get up and there's potato chips all over the floor, but I can be smugly self satisfied that this is way better than just turning on Directv and watching the game, like most people have done for the last 20 years

Now, do you think there are more NFL watching households that match Family 1, or Family 2?

I lived in AZ for 16 year, watch on Directv. I currently have the Sunday Ticket, I watch with my kids, friends , sometimes by myself. My living room looks like any ordinary living room, I plug my Fire Tv stick into the back of my tv, you can't even see it, then I will watch the game. It's really simple. Really. Family 2 seems pretty good to me. Family 1 seems like typical lazy ass , stupid family that can't handle doing anything out of the normal routine without getting very confused and giving up. Are they related to you?

You're spot on. The NFL gauges success by a single metric, all else to the side. That metric is, how much money did we make? If DTV pays the NFL $1.5b per year for the Sunday ticket (number from memory, could be wrong?) that basically means that each game played is around $3m. If Yahoo or google or Amazon offered them $3m and one cent per game, I can tell you exactly what they would do, and wouldn't lose a moment of sleep in doing it.

The best hope is that the streaming is otherwise a disaster (tech issues, lots of complaints about the quality of the stream, whatever) and that they think better of it, but I think it would have to be a really bad reaction for the league to stop going down this path.

Sure, for people who are already set up to stream, or for the sociopaths that actually want to watch the game on their phone. Maybe I'm an outlier, but most people I know who are NFL fans want to watch on a TV and want to keep the screwing around with the TV/laptop/new device to a minimum.

All kidding aside, I think you are overdoing it a bit. You can watch on your TV, very easily. This won't be the first time I have done this or I'm sure many others. I watch Netflix, Hulu, youtube on my TV where as not too long ago , I could only watch on my computer.

I lived in AZ for 16 year, watch on Directv. I currently have the Sunday Ticket, I watch with my kids, friends , sometimes by myself. My living room looks like any ordinary living room, I plug my Fire Tv stick into the back of my tv, you can't even see it, then I will watch the game. It's really simple. Really. Family 2 seems pretty good to me. Family 1 seems like typical lazy ass , stupid family that can't handle doing anything out of the normal routine without getting very confused and giving up. Are they related to you?

Can't seem to answer the single question I asked, well done. When the waitress asks if you want soup or salad, do you call her a lazy stupid ass? It's a good defense mechanism for someone who can't understand words and context.

ok well I withdraw this comment based on your last post. Long day at work today dealing with govt employees

Edited by dorquemada

Can't seem to answer the single question I asked, well done. When the waitress asks if you want soup or salad, do you call her a lazy stupid ass? It's a good defense mechanism for someone who can't understand words and context.

The real answer is - if they can't figure out how to get it on their TV one of about 57 ways, they'll have to watch on their laptops or desktop. If they don't have one of those, they can watch on their smart phone or tablet. If they don't have one of those, they're SOL and will miss the game.

Seriously though, it's not *that* hard to get the game on a TV. An inconvenience? Sure. Impossible for most? Not really.

Seriously though, it's not *that* hard to get the game on a TV. An inconvenience? Sure. Impossible for most? Not really.

I'm a tech guy. It's what I do for a living. From MY perspective, the complaint isn't about the difficulty of getting the stream. The complaint's about the uncertainty of how well it'll be executed. If there's any kind of a glitch that prevents me from watching, I'll be pissed.

I'm a tech guy. It's what I do for a living. From MY perspective, the complaint isn't about the difficulty of getting the stream. The complaint's about the uncertainty of how well it'll be executed. If there's any kind of a glitch that prevents me from watching, I'll be pissed.

Well, THAT I can't help :D

Let's just hope that Yahoo! didn't drop that $17 Million only to F up the stream. I'd bet they'll go all out to make it as smooth as can be. I hope. :beer:

Me too. I fact, I plan to demand a refund.

I happened to be in San Diego this past weekend and went to PB Ale House to watch the game - it was awesome - 2 or 3 hundred Bills fans, most from Buffalo. So anyway, they're opening at 6am PDT because the game is on at 630am PDT....I guess they have someone on their tech team that will be able to figure out how to get the game from Yahoo to the numerous TV's.