10-21: Rex Ryan Wednesday Presser from London

He is in denial about the defenses underperformance

I get it. The defense doesn't leave the field each week with scorched earth and bloody fragments of their opponents laying in their wake. I was hoping for that too.

But underperforming, relative to what? They're a top-10 defense having played half their games against top-10 offenses.

Let's see how much they've underperformed after they face Bortles, Tannehil, Fitz, Smith, Hoyer/Mallet, Stafford, Cousins and Fitz again.

Those, minus Brady and Romo are the quarterbacks they have left to face.

I'm not thrilled that we haven't yet made an opposing quarterback cry in the huddle, but until we've run Rex out of town, how bout we see what he does against the bulk of the schedule.

And everyone with a sudden boner for Schwartz conveniently forgets the track meet we allowed at home against New England last year and the turnstiles who made the trip to Oakland.

Edited by The Big Cat

I get it. The defense doesn't leave the field each week with scorched earth and bloody fragments of their opponents laying in their wake. I was hoping for that too.

But underperforming, relative to what? They're a top-10 defense having played half their games against top-10 offenses.

Let's see how much they've underperformed after they face Bortles, Tannehil, Fitz, Smith, Hoyer/Mallet, Stafford, Cousins and Fitz again.

I'm not thrilled that we haven't yet made an opposing quarterback cry in the huddle, but until we've run Rex out of town, how bout we see what he does against the bulk of the schedule.

And everyone with a sudden boner for Schwartz conveniently forgets the track meet we allowed at home against New England last year and turnstiles who made the trip to Oakland.

I agree, but I don't think we play the Lions this year

And everyone with a sudden boner for Schwartz conveniently forgets the track meet we allowed at home against New England last year and the turnstiles who made the trip to Oakland.

Top ten in what respect? The last stats I saw showed them at #20 in total defense and #19 in scoring defense.

Remember that you can't fix a problem until you admit that there is one to start with. I think that's an issue here.

Edited by vincec

Top ten in what respect? The last stats I saw showed them at #20 in total defense and #19 in scoring defense.

Through 6 games. That's the point. This early in the season these rankings are pretty worthless overall and heavily influenced by the opponents faced. The Jets are #1 because they've played a bunch of terrible offenses and one that was out of sync.

Through 6 games. That's the point. This early in the season these rankings are pretty worthless overall and heavily influenced by the opponents faced. The Jets are #1 because they've played a bunch of terrible offenses and one that was out of sync.

If the rankings are worthless then why use them to defend the team? This team is NOT currently a top 10 defense. And of the 6 teams they have played so far only 2 have top to offenses. So the statement that this is a top 10 defense playing top 10 offenses is false.

Since there are teams that have played 82% of the games we have, I go by per play stats.

I don't see them. The team is #16 is points per game allowed. That's the best measure per coach Ryan (and I agree). Not top 10.

If the rankings are worthless then why use them to defend the team? This team is NOT currently a top 10 defense. And of the 6 teams they have played so far only 2 have top to offenses. So the statement that this is a top 10 defense playing top 10 offenses is false.

I don't see them. The team is #16 is points per game allowed. That's the best measure per coach Ryan (and I agree). Not top 10.

If I'm not mistaken, top D numbers are cumulative. Plenty of teams have had a bye already which make their cumulative stats look much better than ours. We won't have a great barometer unail all teams have had a bye.

The Bills are #17 in yard allowed per game.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&defensiveStatisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=OPP&season=2015&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=TOTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

We finished 2014 ranked #4.

Last year we led the league in sacks. This year so far, we're ranked #24.

Given that we have most of the same players and - supposedly - better coaches, I'd say the D is "underperforming."

Yet Rex seems confident about the future of the D...

"I never expected to be where we’re at right now. You know statistically or whatever. But again I’d be more than happy to bet on our players, and bet on our coaches, and bet on myself."

Edited by hondo in seattle

FTW

Remember that you can't fix a problem until you admit that there is one to start with. I think that's an issue here.

Amen!

It looks like Rex is still saying wait until the end of the year...

Free Mario!

That should be a sign in the stands. Let the cold front come into London.

Harvin comment was interesting. Hopefully it's just something temporary, and we see him for Miami. Rex seemed very conciliatory over the rushers comments. My guess is he's going to bring the house this week.

You know he wants to put Bortles on his ars for 60 minutes.