Strong words from Jimbo on Rex/the team.

FireChan

Thanks. Needed this today. :thumbsup:

He said the same thing in his post game presser... he clearly said that it was his fault they didn't get to Dalton due to scheme and he was going to look at everything and make changes going forward. The 6 qtrs before that they had played great on D, as well as in Miami. Adjustments are made for every game. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He said the same thing in his post game presser... he clearly said that it was his fault they didn't get to Dalton due to scheme and he was going to look at everything and make changes going forward. The 6 qtrs before that they had played great on D, as well as in Miami. Adjustments are made for every game.

I can see that looking at the performances against Indy, Miami, and Tenn, that he chalked up the games against the Cheaters and Giants to going against great QB's. But Dalton, while good, isn't great, so it's good to hear that he's aware there us a problem and is going to make changes. Let's hope it happens and they work.

He's already considering them. On his radio show , John Murphy said he spoke with Rex on Saturday before Bengals game. He told Murphy that his plan was going to be to play coverages vs Dalton and Bengals, he felt that was the best approach. JM wasn't sure he agreed with that. Well, it failed ( again). After the game , JM said Rex told him it was time to reevaluate some things on D and make some changes. So it doesn't seem this is lost on Ryan. He knows that strategy failed twice vs two of the top performing QBs in the league. I believe we will see a major simplification of the D to cut down on communication errors and generate consistent pressure. You just aren't going to confuse the veteran QBs. It's best to disrupt timing with pressure.

I noted that comment too. We will know if Rex really means it when the D hits the field in London. If it's the same old crud then it will most definitely be time for Pegula and Whaley to take him to the woodshed.

He said the same thing in his post game presser... he clearly said that it was his fault they didn't get to Dalton due to scheme and he was going to look at everything and make changes going forward. The 6 qtrs before that they had played great on D, as well as in Miami. Adjustments are made for every game.

I don't agree with the 6 quarters remark. They've been playing a similar scheme all season (less so against Indy), it just didn't look so bad against the really bad teams. We may have won the Titans game, but it shouldn't have been nearly as close as it was and I didn't think the defense played close to what we should expect.

I don't agree with the 6 quarters remark. They've been playing a similar scheme all season (less so against Indy), it just didn't look so bad against the really bad teams. We may have won the Titans game, but it shouldn't have been nearly as close as it was and I didn't think the defense played close to what we should expect.

it was close because the offense couldn't score. The only TD the Titans scored was when they got the ball on the Bills 40 yard line after the turnover in punt return. If you don't think they played well that's your opinion, but they were very good IMO. Dareus and KW were especially dominant and Lewan had no chance trying to block Hughes without holding. Edited by YoloinOhio

it was close because the offense couldn't score. The only TD the Titans scored was when they got the ball on the Bills 40 yard line after the turnover in punt return. If you don't think they played well that's your opinion, but they were very good IMO.

The offense didn't cross the 50 til mid 3rd quarter if I recall. That we were close, yet alone won, is a huge day for the defense.

it was close because the offense couldn't score. The only TD the Titans scored was when they got the ball on the Bills 40 yard line after the turnover in punt return. If you don't think they played well that's your opinion, but they were very good IMO. Dareus and KW were especially dominant and Lewan had no chance trying to block Hughes without holding.

Yes, it worked against a weak team with a rookie QB, but it shouldn't have even been THAT close. I can only imagine what this basically same defense would have done to Marriota last year. The Titans are 1-4 and only won against possibly the worst team in the league. Playing okay against far weaker talent isn't a reason to be optimistic. They should have destroyed that game.

Yes, it worked against a weak team with a rookie QB, but it shouldn't have even been THAT close. I can only imagine what this basically same defense would have done to Marriota last year. The Titans are 1-4 and only won against possibly the worst team in the league. Playing okay against far weaker talent isn't a reason to be optimistic. They should have destroyed that game.

i don't know - last year's defense played a rookie QB on one of the worst teams in the league last year and lost.

This whole dropping guys into coverage thing is overblown. Happened a few times.

When a guy like lebeau does it, it is hailed as genius.

Yeah, like everything else in football. IF it works, it's genius. If it doesn't work (which it's not), it's dumber than dog****.

Problem is, IT AIN'T WORKIN'!

i don't know - last year's defense played a rookie QB on one of the worst teams in the league last year and lost.

You're right, and I really don't have much to say on that other than it wasn't common. That was one of the most baffling, horribly played games in years (and that's really saying something).

On the contrary, it's a trend for this team. IMO, the defenses best performance was against Indy, and come to find out they're pretty bad (and poorly coached) overall. Wins against Indy, Miami and Tennessee just don't get me excited. Losses, at home, to the Giants and Bengals, especially the way this last game went, really gets my goat (I expect losses to NE at this point, so I don't even bother bringing that up).

You're right, and I really don't have much to say on that other than it wasn't common. That was one of the most baffling, horribly played games in years (and that's really saying something).

On the contrary, it's a trend for this team. IMO, the defenses best performance was against Indy, and come to find out they're pretty bad (and poorly coached) overall. Wins against Indy, Miami and Tennessee just don't get me excited. Losses, at home, to the Giants and Bengals, especially the way this last game went, really gets my goat (I expect losses to NE at this point, so I don't even bother bringing that up).

personally, I didn't really expect to beat Cincy's offense, and especially didn't expect to beat them with our backup QB and other injuries while they were completely healthy... and do expect to beat teams I see as "even" or worse. I get upset if we lose those games, not the ones where I see the opponent as better. It sucks that our early home schedule was very difficult, but they appear to be playing pretty well on the road. I guess I don't feel any differently about the team after this past game than I did before the game. They are a 9 or 10 win team that will be in the wildcard mix.

I was surprised at all the anger from fans tbh but I get it, just seems early.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Bottom line if what Rex/Thurman was doing was creating pressure on the QB and getting turnovers and sacks then no one would be complaining. But when your only rushing 3 guys and QB are seeing No pressure and have all day to throw and we're getting lit up on defense then guys are going to speak out.

Players are getting heat from the press. Players hate looking overpaid and overrated.

No...I'm hoping Rex makes changes to the defense during the bye week.

I'M hoping Rex makes changes to the defense as I type. Not so sure we can wait til the bye week.

I'm also hoping Roman is making changes to the offense as I type so we can cut way down on the 3 and outs and score more points. 10, 14, and 21 over the last 3 games (in which we are 1-2) ain't gettin' it done.

Everything Jim said was accurate and spot on. Hopefully Rex and Dennis can really revaluate what this D did great last year and what they are doing wrong this year and fix it, and fast. With all the injuries on the offense, we really need the D to get their butts in gear. That being said, I hold a lot of the players responsible too. I saw a lot of weak efforts on that field, especially by our vaunted front 4 who looked to be running at half speed several times when in pursuit, almost jogging, after the RB and stuff. They may be frustrated with how they are being used, but there is NO EXCUSE for not going 100% out there. Thats not the answer. It wasn't just one or two occasions, it was several.

So it doesn't seem this is lost on Ryan. He knows that strategy failed twice vs two of the top performing QBs in the league. I believe we will see a major simplification of the D to cut down on communication errors and generate consistent pressure. You just aren't going to confuse the veteran QBs. It's best to disrupt timing with pressure.

And the other top QB we faced we did blitz the peejheebers out of and his team got it's ass whipped.

But it also seems we didn't blitz the rookie (Mariotta) very much either. So not sure about this assessment.

ut it also didn't

lIke always he is a paid ambassador for Bill's football since the moment he retired. What's your beef dude?

Is this true? He's paid to be with the team? Does this exist on any of the other 31 teams?

Also, I think I've made my "beef" pretty clear. His time was 25 years ago. There were Buffalo Bills before him, there have been plenty since. At some point he and the organization should move on.