Strong words from Jimbo on Rex/the team.

FireChan

I see both sides to this... I think Jim represents a lot - "Kelly Tough", survival, love and support of the region, etc.

I don't have an issue with his being a paid ambassador for the team and talking at camp, etc. I think many players and coaches respect him for what he did as a Bill and as a HOF member in addition to being a cancer survivor.

That said, there are a lot of younger Bils fans who don't really remember watching the Bills of the 90s. Many of the rookies were probably born after the last SB the Bills played in. I thought that parading all of the HOFers around before the Pats* game was odd.

The day that the organization can prop up current players and no longer needs to prop up the 90s Bills will be the day that they are truly back to being relevant.

But I like the alumni focus that the Pegulas have and wouldn't want that changed.

I can't agree. What is so wrong with remembering and using the memories of a great team? Hell, I didn't see Mickey Mantle,Babe Ruth or Yogi Berra....but I can appreciate the guys who built the tradition and were great. I don't get this mentality. it should fire everybody up when they bring them out before a Pats game-its not odd. Boy, things have changed all that seems to matter is the now.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't agree. What is so wrong with remembering and using the memories of a great team? Hell, I didn't see Mickey Mantle,Babe Ruth or Yogi Berra....but I can appreciate the guys who built the tradition and were great. I don't get this mentality. it should fire everybody up when they bring them out before a Pats game-its not odd. Boy, things have changed all that seems to matter is the now.

if it fires you up that's great, It's just my opinion that it seemed odd. I don't see anything "wrong" with it necessarily. Again, I see both sides.

Is this true? He's paid to be with the team? Does this exist on any of the other 31 teams?

Also, I think I've made my "beef" pretty clear. His time was 25 years ago. There were Buffalo Bills before him, there have been plenty since. At some point he and the organization should move on.

I know the saints have had ambassador type positions in the past (the beer delivery guy turned kick returner was one, for instance

This whole dropping guys into coverage thing is overblown. Happened a few times.

When a guy like lebeau does it, it is hailed as genius.

Actually it probably has been understated, because they keep doing it. It is brutal watching K. Williams and M. Williams standing 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage covering no one and confusing no one. They look helpless out there as they wait for E. Manning or Dalton to find their open receivers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13932727/marcell-dareus-joins-mario-williams-questioning-buffalo-bills-coach-rex-ryan-calls

Actually it probably has been understated, because they keep doing it. It is brutal watching K. Williams and M. Williams standing 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage covering no one and confusing no one. They look helpless out there as they wait for E. Manning or Dalton to find their open receivers.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13932727/marcell-dareus-joins-mario-williams-questioning-buffalo-bills-coach-rex-ryan-calls

I'd be curious the percentage of snaps that see 1 of the front 4 in coverage.

For all the in depth breakdowns, you'd think we'd have that by now

I'd be curious the percentage of snaps that see 1 of the front 4 in coverage.

For all the in depth breakdowns, you'd think we'd have that by now

saw one stat that Mario dropped back 4x out of 55 snaps

there are times it can be effective, especially when playing a QB who gets the ball out quick. Kiki Mingo with the Browns (plays Hughes type role in Pettine D) dropped back off of the DL in Sunday, Peyton never accounted for him, and he picked him off. Kyle Williams picked off Cutler last year doing it. I think a few times a game is fine especially if they are playing an OL like Cincy that is in max protect all the time.

there are times it can be effective, especially when playing a QB who gets the ball out quick. Kiki Mingo with the Browns (plays Hughes type role in Pettine D) dropped back off of the DL in Sunday, Peyton never accounted for him, and he picked him off. Kyle Williams picked off Cutler last year doing it. I think a few times a game is fine especially if they are playing an OL like Cincy that is in max protect all the time.

4 hardly seems worth the comment. I'm curious if maybe there's some "stand and get in the passing lane instead of rushing hard" that he's counting that a viewer might not.

I have a hard time thinking he'd go to the media over 4 drops, but I suppose if each had a few that adds up fast

4 hardly seems worth the comment. I'm curious if maybe there's some "stand and get in the passing lane instead of rushing hard" that he's counting that a viewer might not.

I have a hard time thinking he'd go to the media over 4 drops, but I suppose if each had a few that adds up fast

it was a tweet from Chris Trapasso I think.... And pre- All 22 so perhaps there is more that wasn't available to see in the broadcast.

it was a tweet from Chris Trapasso I think.... And pre- All 22 so perhaps there is more that wasn't available to see in the broadcast.

Could be- given the access to info and obsessive nature of some of these guys I'm surprised it wasn't one of the first numbers gathered

C'mon guys, we all expected greatness out of this years defense!!

Mostly because that notable defensive guru became the head coach and installed his defense from his days in Baltimore, and NY Jets. The man has a pedigree for building great defenses, and even he stated that this is the best talent he has ever had on a defense.

The Bills defense this season was supposed to be the best area of the team, and I don't know about the rest of you but I expected this years defense to finally dominate, and shut down Tom Brady! To beat down a 5-0 Bengal QB that has shown he can be rattled!!

Instead we see a very mediocre Bills defense that only allowed ONE pressure on Andy Dalton all darn day. Sorry guys I expected more!! I expected greatness of the 85 Bears defense!! I expected the greatness of the 76 Steelers with that dominate D line who had Mean Joe Green. We have that in Super Mario! we have that in unblockable manster Marcell Dareus! We have that in wild-man Jerry Hughes!

This defense has four pro bowl players on it, and they all earned that status from being great at rushing the passer!!

Wanna run a Dick LeBeau zone blitz, and ask the D linemen to drop into pass coverage? Then have Doug Whaley trade away the current front four D linemen for four all pro linebackers, and then it won't matter when you drop an average D linemen into pass coverage!!

Lets face some facts here! Not only is everybody disappointed that this years defense isn't great. Many of us are heartbroken that the supposed defensive guru somehow managed to castrate the strongest area of the defense! This years Buffalo Bills defense is not only not great, they are not that very good even with some of the best talent in the NFL. I'd even go as far to say that this years defense is Dave Wannstedt / George Edwards bad.

Here is hoping that Rex Ryan can fix this his errors!

Edited by Nihilarian

The Mingo pick is a good example of the Zone Blitz working as designed. But the Bills are not blocking passing lanes and they are confusing themselves more than the offense. Except for the opposing O-line being confused why the Pro-bowl D-line keeps giving them plays off to block no one.

Also Mingo is a more natural type of player to drop into pass coverage. On that play he watched Manning and anticipated before the pass was thrown. Hughes has looked OK in pass coverage, but the Bills front 4 are players suited to putting their hand on the ground and rushing the passer or stopping the run. Incidentally it seems that the passive scheme also hurts run stuffing.

Williams pick of Cutler last year was not a zone blitz or coverage drop. Kyle rushed across the line and just reacted when Cutler scrambled and threw back across his body. Shows that he is athletic enough to make a play, but not his strength.