Bills Offensive Line ranked #9 so far this year by PFF

Big C

I think this is a reasonable ranking.. for pass protection anyway. Glenn and Incogntio have been playing at a relatively high level... Incognito especially. Wood has had a few subpar games.. however.. on the whole he has been much improved over last year. He played especially well in the Miami game. Miller/Urbik have generally been below average. Henderson started strong but decline each game leading up to his god awful performance in Tennessee where he got hurt. Kouandjio has been passable as his replacement.

In general .. the O Line has done it's job in every game this year and it's hard to blame poor QB performance on the line so far this year.. as opposed to last year when poor O Line play legitimately affected the majority of the games.

My biggest problem with the whole thing is it doesnt feel (in the game planning) like Roman has confidence in this offensive line to just line up and blast a 3rd and 3 for a first down......

In my opinion.....this is a running down with an occassional pass to keep a defense off balance....not automatically lining up in a formation that screams "PASS" to the defense

- We have the best FB in the league (for that matter...why are we not just lineing up in Power I and giving it to the upback?)

- If our OL is truly grading out that well then surely we can get a short yardage first down

To me along with the QB play this is the single biggest reason we have lost games.....you HAVE to keep an opposing teams offense off the field especially if they are good.......

POUND THE FRICKEN ROCK

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pleased that Kromer is back, we appear to be healthy across the line, and now TT is back, with Karlos, a healthy McCoy for the first time, and hopefully Sammy.

People seem to forget that this is a whole new offensive system, with whole new coaches on line and OC and HC, two new starters, a ton of injuries to important players, and only seven games in.

My biggest problem with the whole thing is it doesnt feel (in the game planning) like Roman has confidence in this offensive line to just line up and blast a 3rd and 3 for a first down......

In my opinion.....this is a running down with an occassional pass to keep a defense off balance....not automatically lining up in a formation that screams "PASS" to the defense

- We have the best FB in the league (for that matter...why are we not just lineing up in Power I and giving it to the upback?)

- If our OL is truly grading out that well then surely we can get a short yardage first down

To me along with the QB play this is the single biggest reason we have lost games.....you HAVE to keep an opposing teams offense off the field especially if they are good.......

POUND THE FRICKEN ROCK

I agree... I think the line does a good job pass blocking.. but it seems like the run blocking isn't anywhere near above average.

I can remember watching 49er games when Roman was OC there and it was obvious that their O Line was doing really creative things in the run game and physically dominating their opponents on a regular basis. I don't think anyone would say the Bills are doing that now.

I agree... I think the line does a good job pass blocking.. but it seems like the run blocking isn't anywhere near above average.

I can remember watching 49er games when Roman was OC there and it was obvious that their O Line was doing really creative things in the run game and physically dominating their opponents on a regular basis. I don't think anyone would say the Bills are doing that now.

I concur with what I saw from the Niners OL with Roman

In my opinion this is where you start in this next draft......I know people are loving their annual "lets draft this QB lets draft that QB"

I say.......lets draft some mean nasty OL high in this next draft and get our running game going

That's what I said. Two pancakes on a single play. That my friends is Awesome!

I will say this.....if that was Sentreal Henderson he doesnt dominate that 1st block and he for SURE doesnt engage that second defensive player with that kind of authority.....the most he would do is wall him off

THIS is what I want to see out of my offensive linemen

Edited by John from Hemet

I will say this.....if that was Sentreal Henderson he doesnt dominate that 1st block and he for SURE doesnt engage that second defensive player with that kind of authority.....the most he would do is wall him off

THIS is what I want to see out of my offensive linemen

Give Dallas credit: they had enough talent on offense that they could afford to spend 3 1st-round picks in 4 years on the OL (T. Smith in 2011, T. Frederick in 2013, and Z. Martin in 2014). The real coup was signing Collins as an UDFA--basically got an extra 1st round pick on the OL.

It took them a looooooooooooooooooong time to get their OL straight, with many failed FA attempts and bad draft picks, but over the last 3 years, they finally got it right.

They're really the only dominant, blow-you-off-the-ball OL in the NFL.

As to the Bills' OL rankings, I'm not much of a PFF guy, but I do think the OL is better than the 28th overall ranking they have on Football Outsiders.

In general, they've been a perfectly average unit this year; not holding the offense back at all (that's mostly been injuries IMO).

Give Dallas credit: they had enough talent on offense that they could afford to spend 3 1st-round picks in 4 years on the OL (T. Smith in 2011, T. Frederick in 2013, and Z. Martin in 2014). The real coup was signing Collins as an UDFA--basically got an extra 1st round pick on the OL.

It took them a looooooooooooooooooong time to get their OL straight, with many failed FA attempts and bad draft picks, but over the last 3 years, they finally got it right.

They're really the only dominant, blow-you-off-the-ball OL in the NFL.

As to the Bills' OL rankings, I'm not much of a PFF guy, but I do think the OL is better than the 28th overall ranking they have on Football Outsiders.

In general, they've been a perfectly average unit this year; not holding the offense back at all (that's mostly been injuries IMO).

I think it's hysterical that the two biggest sites for those kinds of metrics and individual analysis of each player on each play, one rates the Bills 28th and the other 9th. That makes 0.0 sense.

I think it's hysterical that the two biggest sites for those kinds of metrics and individual analysis of each player on each play, one rates the Bills 28th and the other 9th. That makes 0.0 sense.

I think everyone should take note that the rating posted was done by PFF the first week of October. Things have changed since then.

Edited by Billsguy

And last year it was the complete opposite...PFF had them at 30th and FO had them in the top 14 in all but one category.

Goes to show that anyone can make "advanced stats" say anything that they want...and that both Dallas and Buffalo are perfect examples that the OL means next to nothing in comparison to the QB.

I think everyone should take note that the rating posted was done by PFF the first week of October. Things have changed since then.

The thread was bumped because this ranking was updated yesterday.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/04/ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-9/

And honestly, what do you feel changed between Weeks 5 and 9?

I'm pleased that Kromer is back, we appear to be healthy across the line, and now TT is back, with Karlos, a healthy McCoy for the first time, and hopefully Sammy.

People seem to forget that this is a whole new offensive system, with whole new coaches on line and OC and HC, two new starters, a ton of injuries to important players, and only seven games in.

I'm not forgetting the offense is new as much as I am disregarding it. Our scoring 27+ points each of the first 3 weeks for a total of 100 would seem to indicate this is not the biggest part of the problem.

Everyone is pleased that we're healthy but it won't last forever. The Giants game for example was an embarrassment, healthy McCoy or not. Gotta do better, period.

I'm not forgetting the offense is new as much as I am disregarding it. Our scoring 27+ points each of the first 3 weeks for a total of 100 would seem to indicate this is not the biggest part of the problem.

Everyone is pleased that we're healthy but it won't last forever. The Giants game for example was an embarrassment, healthy McCoy or not. Gotta do better, period.

Against crappy defenses and poorly coached defenses, as well as when your defense is playing well or great, you can get away with it on skill alone. Against good defenses or well coached defenses or when your own defense is getting abused, you can't.

Against crappy defenses and poorly coached defenses, as well as when your defense is playing well or great, you can get away with it on skill alone. Against good defenses or well coached defenses or when your own defense is getting abused, you can't.

Could be. I'm concerned about the possibility that this OC who is passionate about finding different ways to run the ball doesn't know how to beat good defenses without a top run blocking line.

But either way we should be able to smoke the Fish!

Like others have said take the PFF grade with a grain of salt because that high grade is mostly for the left side of the line.If you clicked the link it read that rookie John Miller is currently grading at a negative 10.6 which is damn bad. Urbik has looked worse in some games this year, and Seantrel Henderson is easily grading as bad as Miller.

I tend to sorta agree with FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS on this one 28th in run blocking, 28th in pass blocking having allowed 20 sacks. This years team still sinks at run blocking. McCoy ypc avg is 3-9, and Dixons is 1.2 ypc, Cierre Wood 1.5 ypc, Dan Herron is 3.4 ypc. Tyrod is 6.0 ypc, and Williams is 5.4, and as for Karlos high avg that can be explained in two games where he broke long runs, and finished with 9.7 ypc in both. Then look at the other two games at 3.5, and 2.22 ypc.

According to the NFL the Bills are the 9th worst in sacks allowed, and 18th worst in hits allowed.Those stats got a whole lot better after playing the Jaguars too. The line pass blocked very well for EJ a lot in that Jags game, and Urbik along with Kouandjio actually played pretty well. I'm sorta hoping those two keep starting Kujo, Urbik.

One last thing to not forget is that the teams rushing stats look so good because of Tyrod Taylor doing so much scrambling out of the pocket. In one game he was the leading rusher.

But not so great by number 70, which is why it only goes for about 3 yards. But definitely, props to 71!

Or the receiver, #11. Both of those guys whiffed, blowing up the play. It makes you realize how hard it must be for a single offensive play to succeed, given how many guys have to execute their roles just right.