Bills Offensive Line ranked #9 so far this year by PFF

Big C

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or the receiver, #11. Both of those guys whiffed, blowing up the play. It makes you realize how hard it must be for a single offensive play to succeed, given how many guys have to execute their roles just right.

this comment is painfully sane.

like if only we could run to left all the time.

Rex did put one hell of an effort to grab 71 before he became 71 : (

Bandit, besides the injuries I think the O line and play calling are starting to come around. Could not do much with Lesean and K Williams out. I noticed that besides individual errors the team is getting on the same page as far as blocking assignments finally.

still a WIP for sure

Now that dude can play with some passion. Saw Incognito lay the wood on a few plays but not like this. When does the thread start that we should trade for him next year?

kid is 21 years old. he aint not goin no wheres.

dammit!

And last year it was the complete opposite...PFF had them at 30th and FO had them in the top 14 in all but one category.

Goes to show that anyone can make "advanced stats" say anything that they want...and that both Dallas and Buffalo are perfect examples that the OL means next to nothing in comparison to the QB.

The thread was bumped because this ranking was updated yesterday.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/04/ranking-all-32-nfl-offensive-lines-entering-week-9/

And honestly, what do you feel changed between Weeks 5 and 9?

Well, there's not really anything "advanced" about these stats. They have guys watch the All 22s and grade how each O lineman succeeded/failed on each play. It's a pretty crude measurement. I think it's worthwhile to look at when grading individual players -- it's really nothing more than an aggregated eyeball test. But I don't think the methodology works when you're trying to grade an offensive line as a whole -- there's a lot of teamwork involved, and there's not a very good way to quantify that. What does my personal eyeball test tell me? Well, that this line in 2014 is roughly average, maybe just a tick below average. Which is (1) a big improvement over last year; (2) not that impressive given that O line play overall in the NFL is probably at a low point in recent memory.

Quarterbacks that can gash a defense for huge plays with their legs make their OL look better at pass blocking and pad rushing stats.

And perhaps more than any other position.....they take a HUGE amount of pressure off of the center.

When bringing pressure up the middle exposes you to huge plays you don't do it.

Even if the center of the line is vulnerable.

Ask Ken Losenpunt what happens when you lose contain in the middle of the field versus Tyrod Taylor.

We saw this with the Bills OL......in particularly wrt center Jerry Ostroski........during 1998-1999 with Flutie at QB.

I'm pissed we couldn't scoop him up. Rex flew down and tried to put the hard sell on him but the damn Cowboys swooped in and got him

I remember that, and it really is a damn shame the Bills couldn't reel him into Buffalo. :cry: Man, he would have made such a huge difference to the right side of the line this year.

Crazy to think that the Cowboys with all that talent on their offensive line are 2-5 because the starting QB, and #1 WR are out injured. Brandon Weeden as the backup QB, really? Anyway, I gotta wonder if the Cowboys HC will survive this season.

Anyway, I gotta wonder if the Cowboys HC will survive this season.

I think he will. He seems to have a really good personal relationship with Jerry and I think people accept that any team who loses their franchise QB for most of a season is going to be in trouble. He will get one more go round with Romo and Dez, they will draft a RB in the 2nd or the 3rd as they are latest team to find out that average running backs might be a dime a dozen but trying to replace someone who was elite last year and who a lot of your offense went through with someone who is average rarely works. They will also continue to build on their secondary if they are wise and I expect them to take a mid-round QB to become the backup and groom as the successor to Romo.

The interesting thing about these numbers is how often we have tried to run right.... given that the left side of our line is so much better than the right that seems odd doesn't it?

Not really...if Incognito has been the team's best lineman, it makes sense to pull him right to cover up the edges where Henderson is a weak point.

Football Outsiders have Bill's OL at #28, unsure who is more accurate.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

I think PFF grades come from grading individual players vs Outsiders who grade the entire line. Stats aren't always what they appear to be, and don't always tell the whole story. Kinda hard to fathom that a line with two players that can grade as poorly as starters Miller -10, Henderson can be ranked #9 overall.

Like #BADOL posted above that a running QB can make things look so much better then they actually are in both pass protection, and rushing stats.