Playing opponents on extra rest

Wazzu Bill

Can someone explain why this seems to fly under the radar? And why we keep getting screwed in this regard? This year already we have played NE on 10 days, NYG on 10 days, and we're about to play TEN on 14 days. I don't know what the numbers look like over the course of the season compared to other teams, but I know in years past we tend to draw the short end of the stick.

This isn't supposed to be an excuse thread. NE probably destroys us anyway, and we beat ourselves against the giants. But come on, man...How many games have the 4-0 packers or the 3-0 Pats played against opponents with extra rest?

Edited by Wazzu Bill

Can someone explain why this seems to fly under the radar? And why we keep getting screwed in this regard? This year already we have played NE on 10 days, NYG on 10 days, and we're about to play TEN on 14 days. I don't know what the numbers look like over the course of the season compared to other teams, but I know in years past we tend to draw the short end of the stick.

This isn't supposed to be an excuse thread. NE probably destroys us anyway, and we beat ourselves against the giants. But come on, man...How many games have the 4-0 packers or the 3-0 Pats played against opponents with extra rest?

It only happens once more this year: Dallas on 10 days rest in December.

The flip side of the coin is that we get to play in NE on 10 days rest.

Following our bye week, we get Miami at home...and they'll be on 10 days rest as well.

It certainly does appear lopsided.

Bye the way (see the pun?), cue that Roger Goodell poster guy.

Edited by thebandit27

It only happens once more this year: Dallas on 10 days rest in December.

The flip side of the coin is that we get to play in NE on 10 days rest.

Following our bye week, we get Miami at home...and they'll be on 10 days rest as well.

It certainly does appear lopsided.

Bye the way (see the pun?), cue that Roger Goodell poster guy.

The difficult task of scheduling all 256 regular season games requires league planners to account for numerous factors. As always we strive to ensure the process is as fair and equitable as possible for all teams.

:lol:

There are two additional factors which contribute to problem.

1. Teams which have a lot of prime time games tend to have more of these odd schedules giving them more (and less) rest.

2. Some teams use stadium for other purposes or have got NFL not to use some weeks due to pressure from cities (NYC is one of the them which wants no games during one religious holiday but is ok with games on others).

There's a research article from some university, with city ties, looking at this and advising the NFL. Bills faired the worse and Bengals the best from memory. Also I think we're playing NE on 10 days, being a MNF, giving NE an 8 day break too...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/ub-engineers-try-to-iron-out-wrinkles-in-bills-schedule-20150227

There's a research article from some university, with city ties, looking at this and advising the NFL. Bills faired the worse and Bengals the best from memory. Also I think we're playing NE on 10 days, being a MNF, giving NE an 8 day break too...

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/ub-engineers-try-to-iron-out-wrinkles-in-bills-schedule-20150227

I also recall that (surprise, surprise) a couple years back the Pats* played one game with teams with extra rest over two seasons and we played something like 9.

The Bills have also played 3 straight TNF road games. It should rotate home -away. The TNF games are hard enough to play on 3 days rest/prep but even harder when you need to travel and then you factor in that they are division games and... Ugh it's too early for all this anger haha

The Bills have also played 3 straight TNF road games. It should rotate home -away. The TNF games are hard enough to play on 3 days rest/prep but even harder when you need to travel and then you factor in that they are division games and... Ugh it's too early for all this anger haha

The worst was 2012. Rough stuff.

@ New England Sunday -----> @ Miami Thursday

There was a study conducted by a University about this. They apparently found that a lop sidded problem does exist. It was presented to the league and the leagues response was basically that the study did not take into account revenue from good teams/matchups at primetime.

Comes down to more money for the everyone involved. As long as the competitive balance isn't normalized with fan base sizes (completely even markets per team), this problem will always occur.

win and everything takes care of itself. win and you get thursday night and monday night games where you manufacture your own rest. suck and you are the opponent for teams who win and are getting those breaks... winning solves everything. then other teams will be complaining about us... just win

The easiest solution would just be to get rid of the Thursday night game. Now don't get me wrong, I do like the early dose of football, but it creates a definite advantage for one of the teams and the advantage isn't spread around evenly

You don't really expect the NFL to drop all of the revenue that Thursday games generate because of "long/short week syndrome" do you? The NFL is a business first and cares far more about the bottom line than it does any perceived lack of fairness by any teams fans.

Edited by CodeMonkey