Watkins: Tyrod Taylor must gain trust in the OL

YoloinOhio

I always thought this as well. Some people called me stupid. Figures.

I just was amazed at the quick rising and falling of the qbs.......to me this speaks a lot about EJ's work ethic AND the improved coaching of the team.....EJ has NEVER looked this good.

It is also very promising that they recognize how well EJ showed in training camp....enough to call "Tyrod the present.....Manuel the future"

Happy for the team....they now have two promising young quarterbacks and dont need to spend their 1st round draft pick in this area........there are other spots where that pick is actually needed

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My bad. Must have missed the thread.

Still, after dropping such a crucial ball, he should not be commenting at all on anyone else. All comments should be, "I need to get better at what I'm responsible for. First and foremost, catching." Commenting on Clay is also out of bounds.

Worry about yourself Sammy. You've got plenty to work on.

for some reason, reading this i think of...

"I want players to share meaningful insights and info.... but get upset anytime they go outside of talking points"

60% rushing just isnt realistic though. maybe on your perfect days, but a qb has to be able to shoulder a little bit. 30 passes a game would put him just about last in the league for last years starters (without looking at the list for an exact number).

60% should be just about right tho. 30 passes a game might make Taylor last in passes attempts but it should allow him to develop properly! Joe Flacco's first year the Ravens ran the ball 592 times, and passed only 433 = 27 passes per.

The first series by Buffalo went, McCoy run +4 yards- QB scramble +23 yards- McCoy run +15 yards - pass to Watkins for +11 yards- pass, incomplete (overthrown)-McCoy run +8 yards-McCoy run +4 yards-Williams run +2 yards- pass Hogan +11 yards- Williams run +2 yards TD. 7 runs vs 3 passes.

but then look at what happened to the Bills after that first series when they went right down and scored a rushing TD by Williams. The Patriots started stacking the box with 9, and sometimes 10 defenders.

2nd series, 1st down McCoy -1 yard- 2nd down pass Mulligan 2 yards- 3rd down pass drop back sacked -6 yards- PUNT. One run for a negative yard, and 2 passes.

3rd series, 1st down pass Watkins 1 yard- 2nd down pass Harvin -1 yards- 3rd and 10 pass drop back sacked -9 yards- PUNT. Three passes

4th series, 1st down McCoy run +2 yards- 2nd down McCoy run -1 yard- 3rd down pass intercepted. Two ineffective runs, and an INT on 3rd and 9

5th series, 1st down pass McCoy +9 yards- 2nd down McCoy run -1 yards- pass drop back sacked -9 yards, PUNT. one pass, one ineffective run, sacked

Get the problem here? This continued until the end of the 3rd quarter. The Bills were very ineffective in moving the ball on the ground and that led to so much more pressure on Taylor. With the game well in hand and a 37-13 lead the Patriots stopped stacking the box and only rushed 4 the rest of the game. This allowed the Bills to get their run game going, and also allowed Taylor to heat up in the passing game.

My point is the Bills need to find creative ways to move the ball when teams move up to stack the box. Taylor shouldn't need to shoulder the game at all, not with McCoy, Harvin, and Watkins who could all contribute to the run game.

I'm really hoping the Bills find a way to run the ball as much as they said they would before the season started to allow TT his developmental time .

I just was amazed at the quick rising and falling of the qbs.......to me this speaks a lot about EJ's work ethic AND the improved coaching of the team.....EJ has NEVER looked this good.

It is also very promising that they recognize how well EJ showed in training camp....enough to call "Tyrod the present.....Manuel the future"

Happy for the team....they now have two promising young quarterbacks and dont need to spend their 1st round draft pick in this area........there are other spots where that pick is actually needed

It does LOOK promising, just want to see EJ when the "real bullets" are flying.

for some reason, reading this i think of...

"I want players to share meaningful insights and info.... but get upset anytime they go outside of talking points"

I think, as long as he's calling out his own mistakes, he should be able to criticize other guys, too. He's the most talented, highest draft pick on our offense and is expected to become a leader. If everyone just focuses on themselves, you don't get any leaders.

I think, as long as he's calling out his own mistakes, he should be able to criticize other guys, too. He's the most talented, highest draft pick on our offense and is expected to become a leader. If everyone just focuses on themselves, you don't get any leaders.

Generally agree that he should be a guy that can address the whole game

No way. He's barely past his rookie season. He has not lived up to what we gave up for him. While I blame a lot of that on Buffalo's QB situation, the reality is he has not been abundantly productive. He is not the leader right now and is completely out of place criticizing others.

The Bills offense scored 32 points against a very good defense and a brilliant coach. Sure, let's hate the QB.

If you're referring to my comment, re-read it. Your drawing wrong conclusions.

I am happy with the improvement I've seen out of the QB position thus far this year. However, I am placing partial blame for Sammy's lack of very high production for last year and this year on our instability at QB.

No way. He's barely past his rookie season. He has not lived up to what we gave up for him. While I blame a lot of that on Buffalo's QB situation, the reality is he has not been abundantly productive. He is not the leader right now and is completely out of place criticizing others.

he didn't criticize anyone. I feel his comments were certainly of a leadership angle. Everything is "we" followed by what they are doing to work on improving.

"We just got to eliminate the turnovers. We got to move the ball down the field, for the most part. I think Tyrod got to gain trust in the lineman. We got to gain trust from Tyrod. And I think once we get everybody to trust each other, it'll be much easier."

Edited by YoloinOhio

I hope that he does not regress. At times last week he looked a lot like our QBs of the past.

You gotta stick with your QB no matter what. You can't keep yanking a young QB just because he's struggling. This is how he learns and how he develops. Can't say this enough. Obviously if it's been 2 or 3 years and he still doesnt get it, then fine. The experiment is over and time to move on but at least you know what you have. After 3 years or so we STILL don't know what we have in EJ. Waste of our time and a waste of his. We can't make the same mistake with Tyrod.

This is what's wrong with the Bills and Browns. Same exact problem.

EJ struggled a little last year so we benched him for an old veteran who hasn't accomplished sht in Orton. Now we're back to phase 1 with EJ and still dont know what we have in him. Wasted time.

For the Browns Manziel gained chemistry with some of his WRs and he's seemed to have learned from his mistakes. Now what are the Browns doing? Replacing Manziel with an old veteran who hasn't accomplsihed sht in McCown. There's a reason why both teams haven't been able to find a QB in over a decade.

Edited by QuoteTheRaven83

The Bills offense scored 32 points against a very good defense and a brilliant coach. Sure, let's hate the QB.

The Pats* defense isn't very good they got killed by the Steelers week 1 esp in terms of yardage and looking unable to stop the Steelers except for their kicker. They lost Wilfork and their starting corners during free agency and have suffered injuries at other positions.