Bills Trade Cassel to Cowboys

26CornerBlitz

Maybe - but let's face it, by the time you're on your third QB your playoff and Superbowl odds are almost nonexistent. At that point you're playing for next year anyway.

In most cases yes, but I think the Bills could have functioned relatively well on offense with either of the three. At any rate, it's a moot point now.

Who was it in the press conference that kept pressing Rex for why he let Cassel go and now is ok with EJ being #2?

Jerry FN Sullivan.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In most cases yes, but I think the Bills could have functioned relatively well on offense with either of the three. At any rate, it's a moot point now.

if anyone thought matt cassel had any remote chance of leading us to the super bowl he wouldnt have been replaced in minny (or KC), would have cost more than he did when we got him, he would have been scooped up for a fortune when we cut him, and wouldve fetched a lot more in this trade.

its just not happening.

if anyone thought matt cassel had any remote chance of leading us to the super bowl he wouldnt have been replaced in minny (or KC), would have cost more than he did when we got him, he would have been scooped up for a fortune when we cut him, and wouldve fetched a lot more in this trade.

its just not happening.

Don't disagree. They still would have been a playoff contender with him at the helm because of the overall talent on the team.

A fair question actually.

My question or Sully's line of questioning which came off as a bit whiney and lends credence to some's view on here that the media really wanted Cassel to win the job to back up their own line of thinking and were upset when it didn't happen.

Within the normal context of #2 / #3 designations, the question makes sense. But, if Jerry were paying attention, he might have sensed that there was something different about the MC / EJM situation. The first clue was that they cut Matt Cassel, so obvioulsy there was some thinking that the risk of losing him and having EJM as the #2 was acceptable. What Rex said and didn't say at the PC when Matt was brought back certainly left room to speculate that there was something abnormal about what the #2 and #3 designations meant.

Maybe - but let's face it, by the time you're on your third QB your playoff and Superbowl odds are almost nonexistent. At that point you're playing for next year anyway.

The Jets made the playoffs in 2004, yet fell to 4-12 in 2005 after Pennington and Testaverde both went down early. They had to rely on the awful Brooks Bollinger for the final 10 or so games of the season. They were 12th in yards allowed on defense that year, but 31st in offensive yards (falling from 12th the year before).

Anyway, it can happen. The Bills new guy (Jared whatever) is the functional equivalent of Brooks Bollinger.

Edited by dave mcbride

The Jets made the playoffs in 2004, yet fell to 4-12 in 2005 after Pennington and Testaverde both went down early. They had to rely on the awful Brooks Bollinger for the final 10 or so games of the season. They were 12th in yards allowed on defense that year, but 31st in offensive yards (falling from 12th the year before).

Anyway, it can happen. The Bills new guy (Jared whatever) is the functional equivalent of Brooks Bollinger.

It's risk versus reward. Rex is right that EJ will develop faster as the #2, and $2M is an awful lot to invest in a 3rd QB "just in case."

to be fair, they were 2-5 with those vets at the helm, from what i can tell (see them listed as 7 combined starts). that bollinger went 2-7 seems quite in line with the performances seen earlier. bollinger had the highest qb rating of the bunch (which im obviously aware isnt any end all be all stat, but for a thumbnail i think shakes your argument up a bit). Edited by NoSaint

I'll say it again. I think Cassel was passive aggressive with the FO ever since TT was named the starter. He was reportedly pissed at the decision. Then he was cut and when he thought about it he re-signed for less money but reportedly it was n incentive-laden deal. So he actually "started" in game one. WHY? Contract clause?

Then he saw no action in game two. Did he call Doug after speaking with his agent when they heard Romo went down? Hoo nose?

to be fair, they were 2-5 with those vets at the helm, from what i can tell (see them listed as 7 combined starts). that bollinger went 2-7 seems quite in line with the performances seen earlier. bollinger had the highest qb rating of the bunch (which im obviously aware isnt any end all be all stat, but for a thumbnail i think shakes your argument up a bit).

In the seventh game, Vinnie T went down in the first half. I'm not saying they would have made the playoffs, but there offense was absolutely horrible the rest of the way. I do think that if Pennington had stayed healthy, his qb rating would have regressed to the mean. He only played in 3 games.

Regardless, all I'm saying is that I'd prefer to have a little more insurance than we have.

In the seventh game, Vinnie T went down in the first half. I'm not saying they would have made the playoffs, but there offense was absolutely horrible the rest of the way. I do think that if Pennington had stayed healthy, his qb rating would have regressed to the mean. He only played in 3 games.

Regardless, all I'm saying is that I'd prefer to have a little more insurance than we have.

@JaySkurski

I think that's very reasonable.

Greg Roman on what prevented EJ Manuel from being the backup QB the first two weeks: "I think that type of stuff needs to stay in-house."

More fuel for my crackpot theory about Cassel being a malcontent with guarantees in his contract that mandated he remain the number two. It was likely part of the price of him re-signing. Could have been awkward to keep him placated all year and #Rogue shipped him out first chance he got.

More fuel for my crackpot theory about Cassel being a malcontent with guarantees in his contract that mandated he remain the number two. It was likely part of the price of him re-signing. Could have been awkward to keep him placated all year and #Rogue shipped him out first chance he got.

By all accounts Cassel was very accomodating to both EJ and Tyrod.