Taylor Review

Thurmal34

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Patriots were able to dominate the Bills for three quarters in large part because Taylor was ineffective. They toyed with the Bills like a cat with a mouse in the fourth quarter. Going for it on 4th and 1 with a 3 TD lead was a slap in the face to the Bills, and a gift for the Bills when it failed. Taylor is good when he has lots of time and a receiver gets good separation.

Eight sacks is a indictment of the offensive line. But eight sacks should put to rest the idea that Taylor has some sort of magical escapability abilities. The Patriots and Colts have given the rest of the league pretty good tape on what works against Taylor and what doesn't.

Tyrod is a fifth year player. While certainly game experience can't hurt, he is not a rookie. Bills fans lived through the nonsense that Fitzpatrick was a "virtual rookie" too. If plays like this past game it is going to be a problem. He isn't a top half of the league QB. He isn't a top 20 QB. He is a marginal starter who is a weak spot on the team.

John that's fine but we have a slimmer learning curve. The rest of the team is built to win RIGHT NOW.

I'm not expecting him to be Brady. I'm expecting him to not take 3-5 seconds to deliver the ball. Anything over 3 isn't cool, and I counted at least 15 times where 3 was doing him a favor. Unacceptable.

So he should be benched in favor of ....?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

You could stop after the first 6 words. There is no strict definition People call it "garbage time" when you don't come back enough to win and use the term to diminish any offensive accomplishments after the other team has a solid lead.

If you win, though, well, Hey, then it's a brilliant comeback.

Tyrod only got hot because it was garbage time. The Pats got so comfortable and felt so non-threatened by Taylor that they allowed him to the opportunity to scare them at the end and he took advantage. It was still garbage time though.

Edited by 1billsfan

Two of the INTs were 2 minute drills before the half and at the end of the game. You have to take chances there.

Sorry. That is not a valid excuse.

These 2 minute drills before the half and at the end of the game are supposed to be when you play your best.

Why else do you see these headlines

- most 4th QRT comeback wins by a QB?

- best 2 minute QB in the league?

Look people - TT was not at his best yesterday. Get off the you guys are attacking TT for nothing soap box.

The most inevitable thread ever. The Bills score 32 points and lose with the worst game plan in recent memory and it's the QB's fault. If a segment of the fanbase wasn't so butthurt that their guy didn't win the job we wouldn't have these conversations. He threw two balls high that were tipped picks. With a little luck those guys don't make diving catches and perception would be that he was great. Tyrod did plenty of good things yesterday once they took the cuffs off. If he would have been put in a better position to make plays in the 1st half the Bills may have actually won this game.

@SalSports

My Bills/Pats review: Arrow Up, Arrow Down, and The Big Picture: http://www.wgr550.com/Sal-s-Monday-Review-Arrow-Up-Arrow-Down/21983282

Tyrod Taylor’s decision-making

Taylor wasn’t the same decisive, quick decision-maker Sunday that we saw in the preseason, or even in week one against the Indianapolis Colts. He often took too long to get rid of the ball, then having to twist and turn away from Patriots defenders, if he could even escape at all. Taylor also made the wrong decision on a few plays he could have ran but decided to throw it. Maybe he’s still trying to prove he can be a true passing QB in the NFL? Maybe he was just trying to make a big play? Several times there seemed to be quite a bit of real estate in front of Taylor, but he decided to throw while on the run instead. And that’s not easy to do, evidenced by his second interception - an overthrow intended for Sammy Watkins that sailed high over the receivers head when Taylor tried to make a throw on the run, even though there was still room to tuck it and go for more himself.

This and moshewr's analysis are spot on. There were definitely positives to TT's game yesterday, but it was clear that he was flummoxed by the defense and wasn't decisive at all until the 4th quarter. I am too surprised that Roman didn't start calling rollout plays until the 4th quarter.

The big test of course is to see how TT responds next week.

The Patriots were able to dominate the Bills for three quarters in large part because Taylor was ineffective. They toyed with the Bills like a cat with a mouse in the fourth quarter. Going for it on 4th and 1 with a 3 TD lead was a slap in the face to the Bills, and a gift for the Bills when it failed. Taylor is good when he has lots of time and a receiver gets good separation.

I hateed both play calls on 4th down, and the second one they should have punted.. was plain stupid!

So he should be benched in favor of ....?

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I'm not really sure what your point is here. Are you saying that you agree TT's play was unacceptable....but he is the best we've got?

The most inevitable thread ever. The Bills score 32 points and lose with the worst game plan in recent memory and it's the QB's fault. If a segment of the fanbase wasn't so butthurt that their guy didn't win the job we wouldn't have these conversations. He threw two balls high that were tipped picks. With a little luck those guys don't make diving catches and perception would be that he was great. Tyrod did plenty of good things yesterday once they took the cuffs off. If he would have been put in a better position to make plays in the 1st half the Bills may have actually won this game.

funny.... where have I seen this before with another QB? JUST kidding Kirby. Relax bud.

Taylor did zip after the first drive until the Pats stopped playing for real in the fourth quarter. You and I both know that EJ Manuel will start again this year because Taylor is going to play his way back to the bench.

The NFL is not built for small QBs who need throwing windows to see. It's built for big and tall QBs to see and hit their targets on time. Unfortunately, the only Bills QB that size and who did that this preseason wasn't even dressed for the game.

Edited by 1billsfan

funny.... where have I seen this before with another QB? JUST kidding Kirby. Relax bud.

Ha ha, I'm not saying he was great but if you were to rank the reasons that this game went this way it would look like this:

- Defensive Game Plan

- Offensive Game Plan

- Pass Defense

- Pass Blocking

- Penalties

- Interceptions and indecisiveness (basically what Taylor did poorly)

If a segment of the fanbase wasn't so butthurt that their guy didn't win the job we wouldn't have these conversations.

You are good poster Kirby, but I'm embarrassed for you with this comment.

Again I ask, what does Taylor's play yesterday have to do with any other QB on this roster? Why would you even bring that up?

Pathetic.

Taylor did zip after the first drive until the Pats stopped playing for real in the fourth quarter. You and I both know that EJ Manuel will start again this year because Taylor is going to play his way back to the bench.

The NFL is not built for small QBs who need throwing windows to see. It's built for big and tall QBs to see and hit their targets and on time. Unfortunately, the only Bills QB that size and who did that this preseason wasn't even dressed for the game.

I'd be willing to bet that. The only way someone else starts anytime soon is with an injury to Tyrod. He has done way too much well in his 1st 2 career starts. He wasn't perfect yesterday but did a lot well. He was great last week. He's not going to the bench anytime soon and if he does it will be a situation where they feel they need the "steady hand" of Cassel.

The NFL is not built for small QBs who need throwing windows to see. It's built for big and tall QBs to see and hit their targets and on time. Unfortunately, the only Bills QB that size and who did that this preseason wasn't even dressed for the game.

What? Ok im not a bills fan but really? Manual in that game yesterday the score is 40-13 or worse because he throws a pick 6 under that pressure. EJ not terrible but the pressure the Pats had yesterday he would have gotten rattled.

Ha ha, I'm not saying he was great but if you were to rank the reasons that this game went this way it would look like this:

- Defensive Game Plan

- Offensive Game Plan

- Pass Defense

- Pass Blocking

- Penalties

- Interceptions and indecisiveness (basically what Taylor did poorly)

I'd reorder

- Penalties - Put Bills in a hole early on and blew up the blueprint

- Offensive Game Plan - Did very little to relieve pressure on TT until the 4th Q

- Defensive Game Plan - Still scratching my head over this one, especially with how Jets' played vs NE.

I'd be willing to bet that. The only way someone else starts anytime soon is with an injury to Tyrod. He has done way too much well in his 1st 2 career starts. He wasn't perfect yesterday but did a lot well. He was great last week. He's not going to the bench anytime soon and if he does it will be a situation where they feel they need the "steady hand" of Cassel.

You are in denial.