What is this "Tom Terrific" BS?

What is this "Tom Terrific" BS? Just read a Democrat & Chronicle article referring to Brady* by that name.

A glance at Wiki says "Thomas Edward Patrick "Tom" Brady*, Jr. (born August 3, 1977), nicknamed Tom Terrific,[1][2][3] is an American football quarterback for the New England Patriots*** of the National Football League (NFL)." [they left out the asterisks]

Is it just because I'm a Bills fan I haven't heard this? I used to travel to NE MA a couple times a year on business and in the midst of Pats season ticket holders and alleged fans, I never heard this.

How do you edit a Wiki? This simply begs for it.

What is this "Tom Terrific" BS? Just read a Democrat & Chronicle article referring to Brady* by that name.

A glance at Wiki says "Thomas Edward Patrick "Tom" Brady*, Jr. (born August 3, 1977), nicknamed Tom Terrific,[1][2][3] is an American football quarterback for the New England Patriots*** of the National Football League (NFL)." [they left out the asterisks]

Is it just because I'm a Bills fan I haven't heard this? I used to travel to NE MA a couple times a year on business and in the midst of Pats season ticket holders and alleged fans, I never heard this.

How do you edit a Wiki? This simply begs for it.

There are 56,700 mentions of Tom Terrific Brady, in a basis google search requiring all three names be present. These references go back to 2002. It seems as though you just haven't been paying attention.

a play on Tom Seaver's old nickname

Actually, I knew of it as a little line drawn black and white cartoon segment of "Captain Kangaroo" back in the 60's. He lived in a treehouse and had a goofy hat kind of like the Tin Woodman.

But yeah, Google brings him in.

There are 56,700 mentions of Tom Terrific Brady, in a basis google search requiring all three names be present. These references go back to 2002. It seems as though you just haven't been paying attention.

"Let me Google That for You" combined with little personal putdown - the resort of people without a good personal rejoinder or experience of their own

I had a little look through your content

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/180753-nfl-will-launch-thorough-investigation-into-last-night/?p=3676814

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/180738-pats-are-ruining-love-of-nfl/?p=3676080

Since you seem to follow NE and its fans very closely, how often have you personally heard it used, either by Patriots*** fans in general conversation or by Patriots*** coverage in news media?

If you google some other nickname without the player's name forced into it, you actually get a bunch of hits. "Amish Rifle" for example, or "Fridge" or "Red Rifle" or "Neon Deon".

For "Tom Terrific" you get a bunch of stuff about the Captain Kangaroo kids cartoon. Doesn't appear on this list of NFL nicknames either.

Smells to me like a media creation. rather than something that arises like a natural nickname from the team and the fans.

Edited by Hopeful

I don't get all the Brady love considering the cloud of cheating over this team. From stealing signals to illegal radios in his helmet to probable PED use. How much of his terrific-ness is from cheating?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I don't hear it in conversation regularly but yea I've heard it plenty of times through the years.

Here's an article with it as an example

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0NX04Q20150512

Sheesh, NoSaint, careful linking that stuff around. It's NSFW. I was kind of prepared for it, and the 2nd and 3rd sentences still made me throw up in my mouth. Projectile vomiting over the cubby wall could occur from the weak-stomached.

I live in New England, about 30 minutes from Foxboro, and I hear it with frequency.

That's because they're a bunch of dopey chowderheads. They're so unoriginal and reprehensible that they even have to steal an already iconic nickname in the annals of sports. The one and only 'Tom Terrific' is, was, and always will be the NY Mets' Tom Seaver.

That's because they're a bunch of dopey chowderheads. They're so unoriginal and reprehensible that they even have to steal an already iconic nickname in the annals of sports. The one and only 'Tom Terrific' is, was, and always will be the NY Mets' Tom Seaver.

As good as Seaver was, Brady is a better quarterback than Seaver was a pitcher. Brady is arguably the best ever, and Seaver might not even be in the top 10 right handed pitchers ever.

Also, don't knock the originality of fan-base that came up with "The Splendid Splinter", "Larry Legend", "Pudge", "Spaceman", "The Chief", "The James Gang", "Big Papi", "The Houdini of the Hardwood", "Rocket Roger", "Smokey Joe", "Gator", etc.