Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: Shocker

When Murray took over he basically stripped the team and started from scratch. The progress is evident. With the Bills the organization did make strides under Whaley and Marrone. Marrone left and the organization hired Rex. The Rex effect was on full display last year. Maybe you couldn't see the regression but it was evident to most. The moral of the story is when you go backwards you don't go forward. Coaching matters!

Edited by JohnC

I don't want to hijack this hockey thread into a football thread. So I want to center my point toward hockey. What I find very intriguing is the different cultures in each sport. It is repeatedly stated in hockey commentary of the concept of fitting in the locker "room". There is more player self-policing than in any other sport. The role of being a captain and co-captain is taken very seriously.

When Kane missed a practice due to a late night attendance at the NBA all-star game he was suspended by the team for a game and his behavior was discussed with the leaders of the team. Kane addressed the team and apologized to it for his conduct.

On TwoBillsDrive side of the board there is a great amount of discussion that Mario Williams quit on the team. Did the coach confront him and penalize him? Not to the point of taking him off the field. Did the leaders of the team meet with him? It hasn't come out that they did as far as we know, but we really don't know?

It is apparent that the hockey family is tighter than the football family. Ryan O'Reilly took Reinheart under his wings and they do a lot of after practice working out together. Mat Moulson went so far as to have Jack Eichel move in with him and his family.

Obviously different sports have different cultures. What is interesting to observe in hockey, an effort sport, players are held accountable by their peers more so than in football.

@BuffNewsVogl

With three goals in five games, Johan Larsson is making another late-season push. His defense is making more noise. http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/03/06/sabres-johan-larsson-again-finding-net-late-in-season/

Sabres Notebook: Chad Johnson adjusting to lighter workload; Kane wants to pad stats; Leighton sets AHL record. http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2016/03/06/sabres-notebook-goalile-chad-johnson-adjusting-to-lighter-workload/

I don't want to hijack this hockey thread into a football thread. So I want to center my point toward hockey. What I find very intriguing is the different cultures in each sport. It is repeatedly stated in hockey commentary of the concept of fitting in the locker "room". There is more player self-policing than in any other sport. The role of being a captain and co-captain is taken very seriously.

When Kane missed a practice due to a late night attendance at the NBA all-star game he was suspended by the team for a game and his behavior was discussed with the leaders of the team. Kane addressed the team and apologized to it for his conduct.

On TwoBillsDrive side of the board there is a great amount of discussion that Mario Williams quit on the team. Did the coach confront him and penalize him? Not to the point of taking him off the field. Did the leaders of the team meet with him? It hasn't come out that they did as far as we know, but we really don't know?

It is apparent that the hockey family is tighter than the football family. Ryan O'Reilly took Reinheart under his wings and they do a lot of after practice working out together. Mat Moulson went so far as to have Jack Eichel move in with him and his family.

Obviously different sports have different cultures. What is interesting to observe in hockey, an effort sport, players are held accountable by their peers more so than in football.

It's only a 16 game season in football, so suspending a player for a game is a lot. Players will sit the first quarter or a series or two for team rule violations. If a player missed a practice, he might or might not be suspended a game by the team, but there would be repercussions.

And football veterans take rookie's under their wing all the time. There was just a story last year about Darby and someone, maybe Gilmore. I remember a story about Whitner and McLovin. It happens all the time, I don't think there is any difference there....

Edited by ricojes

hb9K6ARm_200x200.jpgVS. PSe_rMkh_200x200.png

cut.jpg

SABRES (26-31-9) at MAPLE LEAFS (21-33-10)

MON MAR 7, 2016 @ 7:30 PM ET

TV: MSG-B/BELL TV

NHL.com Game Preview: Michalek Set for Maple Leafs Debut

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 282)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed

Cody McCormick (blood clot, Oct. 8; injured reserve) – 66 games

Tyler Ennis (upper body, Dec. 31; injured reserve) – 29 games

Cody Franson (neck, Feb. 21) – 7 games

Ryan O’Reilly (lower body, Feb. 21; injured reserve) – 7 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS

N/A

UPCOMING GAMES

Tuesday, March 8: NY Rangers at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

Thursday, March 10: Buffalo at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.

Saturday, March 12: Carolina at Buffalo, 1 p.m.

Wednesday, March 16: Montreal at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

Friday, March 18: Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

SABRES at MAPLE LEAFS

This is the second of four meetings between the Sabres and Maple Leafs this season.

Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Toronto, 2-1 (SO), in Buffalo on Oct. 21

Next meeting: Saturday, March 19 in Toronto

The Sabres are 5-2-3 in their last 10 games vs. the Maple Leafs; 1-6-3 on the road

This is the 199th game all-time between Buffalo and Toronto; Buffalo has a 109-63-26 series record.

The Sabres are 42-38-18 on the road against the Maple Leafs all-time.

Morning Skate: March 7, 2016 at 11:30 AM – 12:30 PM - Air Canada Centre

@BuffaloSabres

Larsson gaining confidence on offense; Ice Level report: http://bufsabres.co/Q8wfIs

Cc5Xud8UUAAYDcw.jpg

@BuffaloSabres

Sabres set to renew rivalry with Leafs. "I'm actually anxious to see how it plays out." http://bufsabres.co/wHD6tT

Cc-G-wfW4AEKFL6.jpg

Game Notes NHL Stats Press Clips

@MapleLeafs

Projected lineups for the Leafs and Sabres: http://bit.ly/1M3eAg2

#TMLtalk
Cc-DFo_WoAAvsxr.jpg

@BuffaloSabres

1f3a5.png Coach Bylsma shares pregame thoughts from Toronto: http://bufsabres.co/2h72X3

#BUFvsTOR
Cc-kRinUYAAhvmQ.jpg

"We're headed in the right direction." More pregame comments from Jack Eichel: http://bufsabres.co/3VtOYU

Cc-xvQrVIAEME4-.jpg

"I'm going to do my best to enjoy the moment." Toronto native Dan Catenacci pregame: http://bufsabres.co/2Gz8KV

Cc-y6KaUIAABtz7.jpg

I have more personal knowledge of hockey than I do football. And this is an interesting post. These are some interesting topics and I mostly agree with what you said. The concept of the hockey locker room is pretty deep. Those guys are serious about it and comparing football captains to hockey is funny. In hockey the captain reminds me of a grizzled old sergeant leading his you troops whom give him a lot of respect and has real leadership authority. In football it seems more ceremonial than anything.

I think a part of the different culture is a football team is so much larger. Maybe the specific position group is really tight with each other, or one side of the ball.

I think some of the closeness in hockey comes from guys playing with potential weapons in their hands, blades on their feet and it's allowable to punch faces. There is the whole "code" aspect. It seems players develop a mentality to stick together.

Just my ramblings...

I have more personal knowledge of hockey than I do football. And this is an interesting post. These are some interesting topics and I mostly agree with what you said. The concept of the hockey locker room is pretty deep. Those guys are serious about it and comparing football captains to hockey is funny. In hockey the captain reminds me of a grizzled old sergeant leading his you troops whom give him a lot of respect and has real leadership authority. In football it seems more ceremonial than anything.

I think a part of the different culture is a football team is so much larger. Maybe the specific position group is really tight with each other, or one side of the ball.

I think some of the closeness in hockey comes from guys playing with potential weapons in their hands, blades on their feet and it's allowable to punch faces. There is the whole "code" aspect. It seems players develop a mentality to stick together.

Just my ramblings...

I appreciate your insight in hockey and the team bonding associated with the game. Although I do not like fighting in the game I think because of that the concept of sticking up for one another and coming to support a player being harassed reinforces team unity.

As you well stated the notion of being designated a captain is an honor bestowed on a player who is not only a respected presence but also has the stature that allows the player to lead others. As you pointed out in football designated the captains is more of a pro forma designation.

In all team sports the notion of chemistry can't be measured but it certainly is an important factor in the level of success. Another factor in all team sports is having role players that allow your primary players to succeed. Getting the right mixture of players is more important than just adding talent without a consideration to having support/role players.

@BuffaloSabres

Jack Eichel was on the ice for all 3 Sabres goals. Sam Reinhart tallied two assists in addition to his shootout winner. #BUFvsTOR

@BuffaloSabres

Jack Eichel is youngest Sabre to score 20 goals... ever. 19 years, 131 days old. Turgeon was 19 years, 140 days.

Cc_xBe9WAAA5nqm.jpg

The best part of the Eichel score is that Moulson got an assist on the play.

@BuffaloSabres

Jack Eichel was on the ice for all 3 Sabres goals. Sam Reinhart tallied two assists in addition to his shootout winner. #BUFvsTOR

@BuffaloSabres

Jack Eichel is youngest Sabre to score 20 goals... ever. 19 years, 131 days old. Turgeon was 19 years, 140 days.

Cc_xBe9WAAA5nqm.jpg

and it is harder to score goals now.

nty859n6_200x200.jpgVS. hb9K6ARm_200x200.jpg

cut.jpg

RANGERS (38-22-6) at SABRES (27-31-9)

TUE MAR 8, 2016 @ 7:00 PM ET

TV: MSG-B/BELL TV

NHL.com Game Preview: Sabres Host Banged-Up Rangers

Season series: New York Rangers center Derick Brassard had a career-high five points (two goals, three assists) in a 6-3 win against the Buffalo Sabres at Madison Square Garden on Jan. 25. Sabres center Zemgus Girgensons had two goals.

Sabres Digital Press Box Game Preview

CURRENT INJURIES – (Man Games Lost: 286)

Player (injury, first game missed) – total games missed
Cody McCormick (blood clot, Oct. 8; injured reserve) – 67 games
Tyler Ennis (upper body, Dec. 31; injured reserve) – 30 games
Cody Franson (neck, Feb. 21) – 8 games
Ryan O’Reilly (lower body, Feb. 21; injured reserve) – 8 games

TRANSACTIONS IN PAST 7 DAYS
N/A

UPCOMING GAMES
Thursday, March 10: Buffalo at Montreal, 7:30 p.m.
Saturday, March 12: Carolina at Buffalo, 1 p.m.
Wednesday, March 16: Montreal at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Friday, March 18: Ottawa at Buffalo, 7 p.m.
Saturday, March 19: Buffalo at Toronto, 7 p.m.

TONIGHT’S GAME

RANGERS at SABRES
This is the second of three meetings between the Sabres and Rangers this season.
Next meeting: Saturday, April 2 in New York
Last meeting: New York defeated Buffalo, 6-3, in New York on Jan. 25
The Sabres are 1-8-1 in their last 10 games vs. the Rangers; 3-6-1 at home.
This is the 173rd game all-time between Buffalo and New York; Buffalo has a 78-61-33 series record.
The Sabres are 47-27-13 at home against the Rangers all-time.

Morning Skate: March 8, 2016 at 10:30 AM – 11:30 AM - First Niagara Center

@NYRangers

VIDEO: Going 1 on 1 with #NYR @VStalberg about new linemate Eric Staal, facing Sabres, more http://nyrange.rs/1QCydRv

Cc-eQ5OW4AEeOqq.jpg

I appreciate your insight in hockey and the team bonding associated with the game. Although I do not like fighting in the game I think because of that the concept of sticking up for one another and coming to support a player being harassed reinforces team unity.

As you well stated the notion of being designated a captain is an honor bestowed on a player who is not only a respected presence but also has the stature that allows the player to lead others. As you pointed out in football designated the captains is more of a pro forma designation.

In all team sports the notion of chemistry can't be measured but it certainly is an important factor in the level of success. Another factor in all team sports is having role players that allow your primary players to succeed. Getting the right mixture of players is more important than just adding talent without a consideration to having support/role players.

The best part of the Eichel score is that Moulson got an assist on the play.

I think fighting in hockey is mostly dumb and wish they would get away from it. Without derailing this thread I have major issues with nhl officiating, err lack of. I wish skill and talent was showcased (how football has done everything possible to benefit offense) and not marginalized by a 33rd or 45th line grinder who can barely skate.

I also think Ryan O'Reilly is the sabres captain in waiting.

The sabres have a very exciting young core and it's great to watch them develop. Hopefully we can add a top 5 pick this year to that group.

I think fighting in hockey is mostly dumb and wish they would get away from it. Without derailing this thread I have major issues with nhl officiating, err lack of. I wish skill and talent was showcased (how football has done everything possible to benefit offense) and not marginalized by a 33rd or 45th line grinder who can barely skate.

I also think Ryan O'Reilly is the sabres captain in waiting.

The sabres have a very exciting young core and it's great to watch them develop. Hopefully we can add a top 5 pick this year to that group.

I agree that Ryan O'Reilly will be the next captain. He is one of the best two way hockey players in the game. Although his stats are good they don't reflect how important he is to the team because his play at the defensive end. His unparalleled work ethic in practice and in the games sets the bar high for everyone else.

My problem with officiating is that it is not consistent throughout the game. The third period is called differently than the first period. If interference was more strictly enforced their would be more unobstructed skating in the game. The goalies have gotten bigger and better. There is so little space for the shooters to shoot at.

I'm really optimistic about the prospects for this team. The GM and the organization had a plan to rebuild the team.It is steadily being executed. Their draft strategy of unofficially tanking (and that is what they did) worked out with the selections of Reinhart and Eichel. The trades for Kane and O'Reilly were also transactions that were primary pieces that added to the talent base.

This offseason the franchise has cap space for good quality additions. And maybe they will still be in a good position to draft a high end talent who can be in the NHL rather quickly. It's my belief that in two more years this team is going to be a serious team.

It's nice to know that they won. I've hit the point where I turn a game off once OT ends. The shoot outs ruin everything for me. 3-on-3 is a blast, but then it hits a wall with an absolutely horrible, slow ending.

Really love that both Reinhart and Eichel have potted 20 in their rookie seasons, and there are still 15 games to go.

Reinhart still needs 2 more. ;)

But to expand on this one a bit, just take a look at the top 5 in scoring on this team. 25, 19, 21, 20, and 24 years old. The numbers aren't so great, but there's a lot of growth to be had among that group. Now if a secondary guy like Girgensons could get back to where he should be (if he sticks around), there's a world of potential there.

Edited by shrader