Sabres and NHL 2015-16

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

article here..

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/marking-tim-hortons-death-40-years-after

I know it was the early seventies, and yes he was a hero to so many of us at that time...but even then driving drunk was driving drunk. Going 110MPH is just flat out irresponsible.

On hand its one mistake...on the other he put so many others in the path of danger its a wonder he was the only one killed.

This is just flat out crazy...not uptight about it, i am right about no one should drive drunk

I understand... But you can't superimpose values between eras... You have to let it go. I understand you want to hold it against him. Honoring him is not advocating the way he died or who he MAY have wiped out.

Yes it is uptight. Do you watch "Mad Men?"

Should we hold it against the Southern State for sticking w/slavery, even the Border States for still being slave states and not following through w/sucession?

What I am saying is people do bad things that were accepted given the era they were in. It is being uptight if you superimpose values of one era into another. We are talking 45-50 years ago... Not saying it was right, people mixed a lot of stupid things and got behind the wheel in those days. Different mentality on we as a society could "conquer the world." Didn't some just mention how drive-thru beer vendors were prevalent in Texas (Texas thread) in those years... Yet, we glorify it in some way?

You simply can't compare eras and pass judgement. Wasted energy is all it is.

Agree to disagree w/you plenz... Peace!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

@FlaPanthers

Congrats, Soupy! #FlaPanthers @bcampbell_51 will play in his 1,000th @NHLgame tonight. http://bit.ly/Soupy1000

CfTMPAbWQAEd0rC.jpg

@BuffaloSabres

Ryan O'Reilly: We're focused on winning one game at a time, getting to .500. More pregame: http://bufsabres.co/0UYuRz

CfTgWryUkAE0g85.jpg

.@JustinBailey95 talks about being back up with the Sabres & his time with @AmerksHockey - http://bufsabres.co/kneFmb

CfTg9vbVIAAlA1U.jpg

Coach Bylsma discusses tonight's lineup & our opponent: http://bufsabres.co/lKtwpL

CfTi-d1UMAAB1-d.jpg

Not really. MADD wasn't formed until 1980 and the law that changed the drinking age to 21 wasn't passed until 10 years later. In the 1970s, drinking and driving was the norm, not the exception.

Exactly.

I get the moral do-gooder pov given the context of the era and the problem @ hand.

One could say that because of the Tim Horten types of situation, awareness was raised and change was being achieved! He VERY much belongs out there memorialized!!! To pigeon hole him away is sweeping problems under the rug. More attention (w/in reason of course) should be brought to how he died... It is how many learn and change!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I understand... But you can't superimpose values between eras... You have to let it go. I understand you want to hold it against him. Honoring him is not advocating the way he died or who he MAY have wiped out.

Yes it is uptight. Do you watch "Mad Men?"

Should we hold it against the Southern State for sticking w/slavery, even the Border States for still being slave states and not following through w/sucession?

What I am saying is people do bad things that were accepted given the era they were in. It is being uptight if you superimpose values of one era into another. We are talking 45-50 years ago... Not saying it was right, people mixed a lot of stupid things and got behind the wheel in those days. Different mentality on we as a society could "conquer the world." Didn't some just mention how drive-thru beer vendors were prevalent in Texas (Texas thread) in those years... Yet, we glorify it in some way?

You simply can't compare eras and pass judgement. Wasted energy is all it is.

Agree to disagree w/you plenz... Peace!

That made me think of Tim Russert's book about his father. He was saying how the two of them and his uncle would pack up the car with a couple cases of beer and drive to Cleveland for an Indians doubleheader and back the same day........it definitely wasn't right - but it was a different era.

article here..

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/marking-tim-hortons-death-40-years-after

I know it was the early seventies, and yes he was a hero to so many of us at that time...but even then driving drunk was driving drunk. Going 110MPH is just flat out irresponsible.

On hand its one mistake...on the other he put so many others in the path of danger its a wonder he was the only one killed.

This is just flat out crazy...not uptight about it, i am right about no one should drive drunk

Now I remember that coming out a decade ago. I think his legacy would be different if it had come out at the time. I remember that day. I remember the time after it. All that was talked about was the speed.

It's hard to think of somebody in one way for 3 decades, and then have an autopsy come out and you change your whole thinking. Especially as his name and legacy grew during that time.

That made me think of Tim Russert's book about his father. He was saying how the two of them and his uncle would pack up the car with a couple cases of beer and drive to Cleveland for an Indians doubleheader and back the same day........it definitely wasn't right - but it was a different era.

Now I remember that coming out a decade ago. I think his legacy would be different if it had come out at the time. I remember that day. I remember the time after it. All that was talked about was the speed.

It's hard to think of somebody in one way for 3 decades, and then have an autopsy come out and you change your whole thinking. Especially as his name and legacy grew during that time.

i get what AD and EEI are saying, but i i respectfully disagree. I started driving in 79, so not that much after this accident...and driving drunk was driving drunk. Not saying i never did it, i did. But i never went 110MPH. Again, just brought it up for to see what others felt, think its an interesting discussion.

and you may think this is some crazy contradiction or being the ultimate hypocrite...but i have no problem, and i mean zero, with drinking in the car as the Russerts did. Not where you drink the booze that matters, its how much you drink in my mind! I have a roady plenty of times, but it is one or two. Can't understand the difference if i had it in the bar or my home as opposed to my car seat.

Edited by plenzmd1

i get what AD and EEI are saying, but i i respectfully disagree. I started driving in 79, so not that much after this accident...and driving drunk was driving drunk. Not saying i never did it, i did. But i never went 110MPH. Again, just brought it up for to see what others felt, think its an interesting discussion.

and you may think this is some crazy contradiction or being the ultimate hypocrite...but i have no problem, and i mean zero, with drinking in the car as the Russerts did. Not where you drink the booze that matters, its how much you drink in my mind! I have a roady plenty of times, but it is one or two. Can't understand the difference if i had it in the bar or my home as opposed to my car seat.

Simply put, you're wrong.

In the mid 1970s, alcohol was a factor in over 60% of traffic fatalities. Traffic crashes were the leading cause of alcohol-related deaths and two-thirds of traffic deaths among persons aged 16 to 20 involved alcohol. Those numbers are exponentially lower today and are a direct result of MADD and how hard they lobbied Congress to get the drinking age changed and significantly enhance penalties for both first and multiple offenders.

There has been a VERY large cultural shift since the early 1970s where drinking and driving is concerned. Tim Horton was doing something that pretty much every social adult was doing. You may have never done it at 110MPH but most cars back then wouldn't have lasted long at those speeds.

Just quick math... That's 48 beers for three people in under 24 hours. 3 hours to Cleveland and 3 hours back. Now let's compress that into a 12 hour window, I am sure they weren't out the whole 24 hours. Probably can compress that into a 9 hour window including a 3 hour game. Somebody was driving buzzed down I-90.

Don't get me wrong... Times were different. My father tells the story (back in the 1960's) of when he was working on the railroad, him and a buddy dodged work one time... Went to the track in The Finger Lakes, God knows what else they did... I think wine tasting too. Anyway, they made it back from Canandaigua to BFLo in under an hour. That's 90 miles in less than hour. They had to be going around 100 mph. Well, my father couldn't remember the trip seeing how he was passed out in the back seat. He always said, that was the last time he let his friend drive while he slept! And... That was the end of it. :ph34r:

Simply put, you're wrong.

In the mid 1970s, alcohol was a factor in over 60% of traffic fatalities. Traffic crashes were the leading cause of alcohol-related deaths and two-thirds of traffic deaths among persons aged 16 to 20 involved alcohol. Those numbers are exponentially lower today and are a direct result of MADD and how hard they lobbied Congress to get the drinking age changed and significantly enhance penalties for both first and multiple offenders.

There has been a VERY large cultural shift since the early 1970s where drinking and driving is concerned. Tim Horton was doing something that pretty much every social adult was doing. You may have never done it at 110MPH but most cars back then wouldn't have lasted long at those speeds.

simply put, you are wrong and as Tom would say an Idiot to boot!

how in the world where you drink your booze is more important than how much booze you drink is beyond me. It is, quite frankly, beyond common sense. You are either too drunk to drive or you are not.

I don't give a rats behind if you drank with your priest as you were discussing world peace..over the limit is over the limit.

In short, i could not care less where you drank the booze, only that you drank too much and put others at risk.

How you can argue with that outside of appearances is beyond me.

Go Sabres

Edited by plenzmd1

simply put, you are wrong and as Tom would say an Idiot to boot!

how in the world where you drink your booze is more important than how much booze you drink is beyond me. It is, quite frankly, beyond common sense. You are either too drunk to drive or you are not.

I don't give a rats behind if you drank with your priest as you were discussing world peace..over the limit is over the limit.

In short, i could not care less where you drank the booze, only that you drank too much and put others at risk.

How you can argue with that outside of appearances is beyond me.

Go Sabres

Most didn't even process that they were putting others at risk. Now mix in the lack of education, etc... I mean education on what could happen. For crying out loud my parents old school doctor would mix a prescription right there in his office. You think people gave it any thought hopping into a car? Look @ the Beat Generation and what they would do!

I can tell you some more stories about alcoholism, prescription drugs, etc... from back in the day if you want... It was quiet common until it became an epidemic.

To put such righteous standards (they aren't wrong) on the circumstances surrounding Horton's death is ludicrous!