Report: Fred had deal in place with Steelers in March

YoloinOhio

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

jeez no wonder Fred was mad at Whaley. said one thing and did another. Fred could have only been a couple hours away from his kids instead of 3000 miles. if they were going to release him they should have just done it. Fred deserves better than that from this organization

jeez no wonder Fred was mad at Whaley. said one thing and did another. Fred could have only been a couple hours away from his kids instead of 3000 miles. if they were going to release him they should have just done it. Fred deserves better than that from this organization

Whaley didn't say one thing and do another. The Pegulas stepped in and said to keep Fred, that wasn't Whaleys choice.

Whaley didn't say one thing and do another. The Pegulas stepped in and said to keep Fred, that wasn't Whaleys choice.

then Fred would still be on the team. Whaley knew he was going to release him. don't tell him he will be on the team then cut him after training camp

then Fred would still be on the team. Whaley knew he was going to release him. don't tell him he will be on the team then cut him after training camp

to me it sounds like Whaley really didn't know. He was going to release him in March, pegula stepped in. At that point no one knew what the future would hold. A lot can change in the NFL in 6 months. He didn't know they would get karlos or any RB in the draft and that he would play his way to the #2 spot, or that all the RBs would get out of TC healthy. Fred should have known that he didn't lie... But rather things can change. What is true in March can look different in September after the draft, OTAs, and TC. And the responsibility of Whaley is to the team/organization. Not to make sure he can go to a closer city. Edited by YoloinOhio

to me it sounds like Whaley really didn't know. He was going to release him in March, pegula stepped in. At that point no one knew what the future would hold. A lot can change in the NFL in 6 months. He didn't know they would get karlos or any RB in the draft and that he would play his way to the #2 spot, or that all the RBs would get out of TC healthy. Fred should have known that he didn't lie... But rather things can change. What is true in March can look different in September after the draft, OTAs, and TC. And the responsibility of Whaley is to the team/organization. Not to make sure he can go to a closer city.

while that's all true it sounds like he wasn't honest with him. he should have told Fred that was the case. and if he did then this is a non-issue imo. but based on what Fred said it made it seem like Whaley wasn't totally honest with him about the situation

while that's all true it sounds like he wasn't honest with him. he should have told Fred that was the case. and if he did then this is a non-issue imo. but based on what Fred said it made it seem like Whaley wasn't totally honest with him about the situation

we didn't know exactly what was said, but if I am an NFL player I always think there is a possibility of getting cut or traded. No matter what the team might say. Because things change so much so fast. I just think Fred could have handled it differently than saying the GM lied - I understand he was upset but as a fan I see it like, if they could release you in March, they could release you in September. There is a reason they were ready to move on in the first place.

Fred himself said at the beginning of TC that he is always fighting for a spot on the roster. He didn't earn the spot and money is always a factor when a guy is low on the depth chart and isn't going to play much. It sucks but that's what happened.

Edited by YoloinOhio

Not that I don't agree but it's a business. It's not like every owner/manager/CEO/etc. Gives their employees every detail of everything they are planning to do.

I'd more argue then that Pegula lied, not Whaley as then why didn't Pegula again step in and tell Whaley, no you can't cut hit, yeah I know, Whaley went rogue and cut him without Pegula knowing about it (sorry don't buy that for a second.

My opinion and facts seem to support it, Whaley and I'm sure Rex wanted to cut him in March. Pegula made his first mistake as an owner, and listened to the fans and said no keep him. But even then I'm sure behind closed doors, the agreement was, we'll keep him for now and see what happens by September. So Pegula announced we're keeping him, but no way can you also state that publicly. Fast forward to Sept, he gets nicked up agai nin training camp, Bill draft Williams and he far exceeds expectations. He had one good 40 yard run after coming back, but as many stated, he never should have been caught either. Rex tells management OK, you can keep Jackson, and cut Brown, but either one of them will be the #4 back and won't dress unless there's an injury.

So they cut him and Whaley looks like the bad guy, but really Pegula's interference which caused the issue.

Whales job isn't to be totally honest at all times. It sounds like he handled the soft side stuff here the best way he could for the bills. That's his job.

Half the people screaming about the August cut were saying "you HAVE to give him camp and a chance to claim his job" back in March

Edited by NoSaint

So what was he suppose to do? Whaley did the right thing and gave Fred advance notice in March, before he cut him, that he would be cutting him. Let him talk to other teams, let him get a deal done. Then the Pegulas step in and say, "You can't cut Fred he's too important to the community/team." What was Whaley suppose to do, ignore his boss? #GoRogue? So he tells Fred that he isn't going to cut him and now he looks like the bad guy.

I don't really see a problem with what Whaley did, I honestly have more of a problem if the Pegulas are interfering with football decisions. Whaley is here to make football decisions, if that decision includes cutting a popular player, so be it. It happens.

My guess is someone was in the Pegulas ear, they didn't make the call by themselves.

The Bills have a long history of non GMs influencing ownership. The best sign of change is the fact Jackson was was released.

Edited by TheTruthHurts