How To Cover Gronk

Peace Frog

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being facetious, as a cover for Gronkowski, I kind of like this one

121114gronk.jpg?itok=MaYaPUtD&c=0d059078

Being serious (really- I am serious here), I have wondered about putting a fast, agile lineman like Mario Williams on Gronk. I know this deserves to be laughed at, but even a busted clock tells correct time twice a day, and here's the thing: whoever said that Rob Gronkowski was a 6th grader playing with 2nd graders really captured a valid point. And unlike many teams, the Bills actually have the talent and depth on the line and the scheme flexibility to pull something like this without gutting their DL. And most DL don't have the speed or agility to stay with Gronk for an instant, but Mario actually does.

Rob Gronkowski is 6'6", 265 lbs, with 34" arms and a 4.62s 40 time.

Our tallest DB is Stephon Gilmore, at 6'1", 190 lbs, with 31" arms and 4.38s 40 time. I know, leverage, angles, timing and all that, but it's just a tough order. Even our best LBs give Gronkowski 20 lbs and a few inches.

On the other hand, consider Mario Williams: 6'6", 292 lbs, 4.73s 40 time and while I couldn't find his wingspan, I bet it matches. Set Mario Williams to jam Gronk off the line, and he'd know he'd been jammed. Then hand him off to a DB.

OK, let the laughter begin.

WEEI guys laughing themselves silly over Gilmore wanting Gronk. They said he will get "thrown outta the club" like that DB from Indy last year (Sergio Brown)

I feel certain that Stephon Gilmore enjoys the comparison to a part-time Notre Dame player who was picked up by the Pats as an UDFA and scrubbed by them twice before catching on to two noted defensive powerhouse, Indy and the Jags.

All these 6'1" 190 lb black CB with braids are exactly alike in abilities. Kinda like 6'1" black QB, you know, "wildcat" guys.

Edited by Hopeful

WEEI guys laughing themselves silly over Gilmore wanting Gronk. They said he will get "thrown outta the club" like that DB from Indy last year (Sergio Brown)

Perhaps they're too stupid to know...

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/0ap2000000219168/Stephon-Gilmore-breaks-up-long-pass-to-Gronkowski

One of the two left the field looking shaken up after that play...hint: it wasn't Gilmore

Edited by thebandit27

Being facetious, as a cover for Gronkowski, I kind of like this one

121114gronk.jpg?itok=MaYaPUtD&c=0d059078

Being serious (really- I am serious here), I have wondered about putting a fast, agile lineman like Mario Williams on Gronk. I know this deserves to be laughed at, but even a busted clock tells correct time twice a day, and here's the thing: whoever said that Rob Gronkowski was a 6th grader playing with 2nd graders really captured a valid point. And unlike many teams, the Bills actually have the talent and depth on the line and the scheme flexibility to pull something like this without gutting their DL. And most DL don't have the speed or agility to stay with Gronk for an instant, but Mario actually does.

Rob Gronkowski is 6'6", 265 lbs, with 34" arms and a 4.62s 40 time.

Our tallest DB is Stephon Gilmore, at 6'1", 190 lbs, with 31" arms and 4.38s 40 time. I know, leverage, angles, timing and all that, but it's just a tough order. Even our best LBs give Gronkowski 20 lbs and a few inches.

On the other hand, consider Mario Williams: 6'6", 292 lbs, 4.73s 40 time and while I couldn't find his wingspan, I bet it matches. Set Mario Williams to jam Gronk off the line, and he'd know he'd been jammed. Then hand him off to a DB.

OK, let the laughter begin.

Mario is not nearly quick enough to cover Gronk.

It doesn't matter. If he's covered and can't get the ball, the officials will call questionable pass interference penalties. That's just how it's always been with the NFL's the golden boys. Guaranty there will be a few 15-yard personal foul penalties to keep the Pats drives alive if Tom Terrific gets touched by a Bills defender.

The best defense will be a good offense. Sustained drives by the Bills that result in points and winning the time of possession battle. Keep the ball out of their hands.

Mario is not nearly quick enough to cover Gronk.

This. As soon as they see a lineman trying to knock him at the LOS they will just split him out wide - where he can just have his way in open space (and also create a big hole on that side of the D line to exploit)

This. As soon as they see a lineman trying to knock him at the LOS they will just split him out wide - where he can just have his way in open space (and also create a big hole on that side of the D line to exploit)

That, IMO, is why you use Manny Lawson for the task. He's big enough to compete with Gronk physically, but also fast enough to keep up with him. Bracket him with a safety (either Rambo or Graham), play press-man against the WRs, and make someone else beat you.