WSJ: Why the NFL has a Quarterback Crisis

YoloinOhio

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good read, thanks for finding

"For his part, Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley sees an altogether bleaker future for teams searching for a quarterback. “You do not want to be in the top five pickers in the draft, you really don’t,” Haley said. “Guys are going to get fired. General managers, coaches, they’re going to go because it’s just guessing. It’s harder than ever to find a quarterback.”

The Bills need to expand there scouting dept just to find a QB.

Chip is going with the college type offense , but it will wear his veterans down fast.

Very good read, thanks for finding

"For his part, Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley sees an altogether bleaker future for teams searching for a quarterback. You do not want to be in the top five pickers in the draft, you really dont, Haley said. Guys are going to get fired. General managers, coaches, theyre going to go because its just guessing. Its harder than ever to find a quarterback.

The Bills need to expand there scouting dept just to find a QB.

Chip is going with the college type offense , but it will wear his veterans down fast.

That's nonsense. Anyone here or in media can tell you getting a franchise QB is just a matter of addressing the issue.

/s

Edited by PromoTheRobot

And, we're still suffering from the mobile QB phase.

I've been banging a drum for a long time - this is simple: The value of the RB by the end of the season will be double what it is today. I am not certain how McCoy fits in to this, but guys like Karlos Williams and Dixon are valuable, as they can punish guys.

Teams getting smaller, faster defensive guys and the QB position getting weaker a big RB who can move men is huge!

The article shows that it is more important now to develop a NFL QB , not start his first few years. Hope Taylor learned how to read a defense from his time behind Flacco.

Maybe put EJ up in the booth with a coach a few games to get a birds eye view .

Edited by ALF

I've been banging a drum for a long time - this is simple: The value of the RB by the end of the season will be double what it is today. I am not certain how McCoy fits in to this, but guys like Karlos Williams and Dixon are valuable, as they can punish guys.

Teams getting smaller, faster defensive guys and the QB position getting weaker a big RB who can move men is huge!

Yep. And with the Bills noticabely ahead of this curve, it adds to the unspeakable frustration every time the Bills--with a great defense and ground attack--have each and every evaluation arrested by "yeah but who's the QB?"

I've been banging a drum for a long time - this is simple: The value of the RB by the end of the season will be double what it is today. !

Wanna bet? If you have been "banging this drum for along time" then you've been wrong for a long time. If anything, running backs are becoming more devalued every year, as the running game becomes less important and teams continue to find productive runners in the late rounds and in UDFA. What evidence do you have to support your proposition?

It's amazing that this is basically common knowledge, yet teams still force rookies out there too quickly, and then pull the plug as soon as they struggle. Hopefully more teams will work on developing QBs behind the scenes for a little going forward.

Wanna bet? If you have been "banging this drum for along time" then you've been wrong for a long time. If anything, running backs are becoming more devalued every year, as the running game becomes less important and teams continue to find productive runners in the late rounds and in UDFA. What evidence do you have to support your proposition?

How bout the team that--had they run the ball on second and goal from the one--would have won the last two super bowls?

Great piece, but I thought Farmer and Snead's comments were truly wishful thinking. It's just too easy to stop a run-heavy game given the quality of the athletes on defense. You simply have to have a good QB who understands schemes and can make reads. What they're looking for is the equivalent of a perpetual motion machine: a successful offense featuring a centerpiece guy who touches the ball every play and runs the on-field offense, yet who is not very good, doesn't understand the game, and can't diagnose things accurately or quickly.

Reading this piece really made me understand why Manuel struggled so much. He ran a crudely simple offense at FSU, and simply couldn't be expected to handle NFL schemes. Maybe one day he will be able to, but it's not going to be this year. Guys like Petty will struggle too. At least there aren't huge expectations for Petty given where he was drafted.

How bout the team that--had they run the ball on second and goal from the one--would have won the last two super bowls?

I don't know about that. Lynch's stats from the 1 and 2 yard lines last season were poor, and the Pats were in a jumbo run-stopping defense.

What about them? They got there because they found a franchise QB.

You are absolutely correct. The one team that you could point to would be Dallas, which had a great running game, but their QB and their passing game were sensational last season.