Do you prefer "game day" captains or "season" captains

YoloinOhio

The Bills used to name captains for the season under Marrone. It doesn't look like Rex will do this - in the preseason he has had game day captains where there are different guys named for each game. This is how the Jets named captains as well so I expect that is what he will do here for the regular season. Does it matter? Are the leaders already established in the locker room? Marrone seemed to put a lot of stock into the captain-ship (he had those weekly captain-coach meetings).

Marrone seemed to put a lot of stock into the captain-ship (he had those weekly captain-coach meetings).

I wonder if this is less important with Rex since I would guess he's more approachable to all of his players, not just the veteran leaders. I do like the idea of having established captains in place for the whole season, but I can see where there might be advantage in motivation by sometimes giving it to a guy playing against his former team (maybe Hughes gets the nod in week 1?)

season captians! bsed on contributions, leadership etc.

Not just a single game of above average play.

EX: if a player like Incognito would be A captain for week. I'd puke.

I am all for second even third chances. A player with his (historical) on field contact winning an award like that would be purely political.

I agree with Cletus. It is important IMO to officially establish some locker room leaders.

id venture most teams establish those naturally. putting a C on kyle williams, or marios chest doesnt make the defense look to them more for leadership. if any void is created by not having those passed out, odds are we didnt have people worthy of them in the first place.

season captians! bsed on contributions, leadership etc.

Not just a single game of above average play.

EX: if a player like Incognito would be A captain for week. I'd puke.

I am all for second even third chances. A player with his (historical) on field contact winning an award like that would be purely political.

id imagine if RI keeps his nose clean for a chunk of the season, he will get to go out to the coin toss against miami. i dont like the guy, but i think its fine to give him a little show of appreciation if hes doing well. purely political? i mean, i guess i dont even know what you are getting at with that.

The Bills used to name captains for the season under Marrone. It doesn't look like Rex will do this - in the preseason he has had game day captains where there are different guys named for each game. This is how the Jets named captains as well so I expect that is what he will do here for the regular season. Does it matter? Are the leaders already established in the locker room? Marrone seemed to put a lot of stock into the captain-ship (he had those weekly captain-coach meetings).

Great topic yolo!

I have this feeling that Rex likes to be the alpha dog of the clubhouse. I'm trying to look back over his career and find a strong locker room leader on one of his clubs that he co-existed with...

Ray Lewis is all I can come up....

Season long captains makes the most sense. Other teams and sports usually don't have rotating captains. Your leaders are leaders and that is earned and should remain the same.

Unless someone can show me the benefit of changing weekly? Maybe rotate one captain spot weekly and it can go to a guy who is playing in his home town that week or against an old team or something of meaning to them AND is still earned.

I would also prefer season long captains, but why not combine the concepts? One offense, one defense, and one team vote each week (An MVP from the previous game?). The system Rex uses seems to be pretty weak - and only serves to elevate perhaps one persons motivation, when they face their old team or visit their hometown.

The tough part though would be... who? If one offensive captain is named, its nonsense to nominate Tyrod at such an early stage, and since Fred is gone, who on earth would you select?

Conversely, on defense, there seem to be many leaders and would be tough to select just one - probably Kyle right now?

I would also prefer season long captains, but why not combine the concepts? One offense, one defense, and one team vote each week (An MVP from the previous game?). The system Rex uses seems to be pretty weak - and only serves to elevate perhaps one persons motivation, when they face their old team or visit their hometown.

The tough part though would be... who? If one offensive captain is named, its nonsense to nominate Tyrod at such an early stage, and since Fred is gone, who on earth would you select?

Conversely, on defense, there seem to be many leaders and would be tough to select just one - probably Kyle right now?

i like that idea a lot