Grantland predicts Bills to be a cellar dweller in 2015

YoloinOhio

Same author with his week 1 write-up. A much better read IMO, and while many will say that's because he talks nicer about the Bills, that's not really true. He's not nearly as high on TT as many in the media have been so far, and I appreciate his reasons for that and mostly agree with him. All in all, I think it's just the difference between writing an opinion piece with game tape in front of him vs throwing crap against a wall based on rosters.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/time-after-time-a-look-at-week-1-in-the-nfl/

(scroll down to second game write-up)

Good piece.

It's a vanity press.

No it's not. Jeez.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good piece.

No it's not. Jeez.

I thought it was a mediocre take. I am a realist but the Bills absolutely rolled them. The idea that "everything" bounced their way is ridiculous.

The Colts knew they were going to see something very much like this. They came out prepared for it. They simply couldn't win the matchups.

It could have....and should have been much worse......and the fact that he opened with that same sentiment and then closed making it seem like just the opposite is reflective of non-belief in the face of fact.

I rarely bother to criticize officiating but they really kept the Colts in the game with a lot of "anticipatory" calls........basically looking for a call in a likely place that could help stem the tide and keep the game closer.

I get the officials' explanations.......but even if the chop block call and running into the kicker can be justified those are calls that rarely happen in a close game.

That said.....the Bills did exactly what I always say when people complain about officiating deciding games.......play decidedly better so that you aren't vulnerable to a tough call.

I thought it was a mediocre take. I am a realist but the Bills absolutely rolled them. The idea that "everything" bounced their way is ridiculous.

The Colts knew they were going to see something very much like this. They came out prepared for it. They simply couldn't win the matchups.

It could have....and should have been much worse......and the fact that he opened with that same sentiment and then closed making it seem like just the opposite is reflective of non-belief in the face of fact.

I rarely bother to criticize officiating but they really kept the Colts in the game with a lot of "anticipatory" calls........basically looking for a call in a likely place that could help stem the tide and keep the game closer.

I get the officials' explanations.......but even if the chop block call and running into the kicker can be justified those are calls that rarely happen in a close game.

That said.....the Bills did exactly what I always say when people complain about officiating deciding games.......play decidedly better so that you aren't vulnerable to a tough call.

Fair point, but he didn't say everything bounced their way - he said that things bounced Taylor's way in the second half, when he was less productive (hurt in part by brutal holding calls). That doesn't seem like a wrong take to me. I actually thought the Bills o-line held more than they were called for in the game, incidentally. That line really needs to step it up. It didn't look particularly good yesterday, and against better d-lines like Miami's and New York's they're going to be dominated. Seantrel Henderson did not impress.

Don't get me wrong - it was a great win. But the offense is hardly flawless. The line remains a problem because it is mediocre. Incognito is probably the only above-average player on the line, and even that is debatable.

The running into the kicker and the chop block calls were bad. All the rest seemed fair. Hughes, man.

Edited by dave mcbride

All things considered Tyrod did about as well as any reasonable person could possibly expect. That's the real takeaway IMO. His command of the offence and the action seemed at times tenuous but this is his first game as a pro with a bunch of talented but unfamiliar pieces that have been thrown together in a new offence without much practice time together.

Around after the bye I expect this guy may have to start writing even more positive articles, tho as a Patsfan it will probably make him sick to do so.

Fair point, but he didn't say everything bounced their way - he said that things bounced Taylor's way in the second half, when he was less productive (hurt in part by brutal holding calls). That doesn't seem like a wrong take to me. I actually thought the Bills o-line held more than they were called for in the game, incidentally. That line really needs to step it up. It didn't look particularly good yesterday, and against better d-lines like Miami's and New York's they're going to be dominated. Seantrel Henderson did not impress.

Don't get me wrong - it was a great win. But the offense is hardly flawless. The line remains a problem because it is mediocre. Incognito is probably the only above-average player on the line, and even that is debatable.

The running into the kicker and the chop block calls were bad. All the rest seemed fair. Hughes, man.

Yeah and I thought there was going to be an emphasis on face mask by the offense? Another example of what I was talking about. Hughes mask was grabbed and yanked, which lead to Hughes reaching up and apparently into the RB's face mask on that fumble play. Hughes is going to get his share of dumb penalties too, unfortunately.

I thought the OL played poorly as well. I also thought the Colts defense was well prepared and did a good job of shooting gaps and disrupting the Bills power O but they are just not very talented up front and the Bills playmakers just beat them in spite of it. People think the Colts have the 32nd ranked defense like back in some of those Manning years but they are a well coached, middle-of-league quality unit.

Yeah and I thought there was going to be an emphasis on face mask by the offense? Another example of what I was talking about. Hughes mask was grabbed and yanked, which lead to Hughes reaching up and apparently into the RB's face mask on that fumble play. Hughes is going to get his share of dumb penalties too, unfortunately.

I thought the OL played poorly as well. I also thought the Colts defense was well prepared and did a good job of shooting gaps and disrupting the Bills power O but they are just not very talented up front and the Bills playmakers just beat them in spite of it. People think the Colts have the 32nd ranked defense like back in some of those Manning years but they are a well coached, middle-of-league quality unit.

Agreed on the colts d. While they gave up yards last year they were really good on 3rd down (I think top 5). They are certainly not incompetent.

I agree it is largely talent not scheme that is deficient in the Colts defense, but I also think mentality comes into it. I just don't know if they have that tough mentality that they are going to win games in the trenches and fight out ugly wins.

They went on the road in the playoffs last year and beat Denver with a really good defensive effort. Pagano is part of that Baltimore DC tree.......and part of the appeal of hiring those guys has been their ability to take whatever talent they are handed and turn it into good defense. The Bills and Colts have more similarities than a lot of people realize. Pagano is part of the Baltimore DC tree and Colts OC Pep Hamilton assisted Greg Roman at Stanford. These teams don't play a lot but they have familiarity. In fact, it could be argued that the work of Ryan and Roman opened doors for Pagano and Hamilton to get their respective shots in the NFL.

Also, the idea that once there is more tape of Ryan's D teams will catch up is ludicrous. There is a decade of tape of Ryan's Ds. Sure, it's not with this exact personnel but more tape isn't going to get his D "figured out."

Also, the idea that once there is more tape of Ryan's D teams will catch up is ludicrous. There is a decade of tape of Ryan's Ds. Sure, it's not with this exact personnel but more tape isn't going to get his D "figured out."

If Dareus comes out playing like Dareus those pressures turn into collapsed pockets and QB hits and then there is no guarantee that teams will even see a gameplan exactly like this again.

This Patriot game should be a take-care-of-business affair at home but traditionally the Pats have come out and taken advantage of the Bills over-aggressiveness and jitters.

I will be very impressed if Ryan and Roman out-maneuver the genius and shut the Pats down........even though I thought they looked unimpressive opening night......and we've seen Ryan do it a number of times before.

• 3 months later...