Confidence in Whaley

dayman

Are you confident in Whaley's ability to run the Bills?  

221 members have voted

1. 1. Are you confident in Whaley's ability to run the Bills?

• Yes, I am confident
    • No, I am not confident

What do you really think about Whaley? Since releasing Fred, I see Whaley becoming a bit of a meme around here ("going rogue," etc.).

Personally, I was upset about Fred, think the EJ pick was a disaster, and recognize how much we gave up for Sammy considering there were other great WR picks in that draft.

However, my confidence in Whaley has never been higher. Is he not primarily responsible for the stellar roster we currently have? All I have seen since Whaley joined the Bills, and since he took over the Bills, is the Bills getting WAY more competitive and the culture and expectations completely changed.

I love Whaley, and I think some of the fools around here should appreciate competence when they see it. The Bills are good, and it's because of Whaley.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was upset about Fred but saw the logic, I think EJ was a defensible pick given that Nix not taking a shot in a previous year had put us in an indefensible position, and I believe that in 12 months time the nonsense of people hating the Sammy pick will be gone.

He is the best GM this team has had since Polian. We would be mental to get rid of him.

What do you really think about Whaley? Since releasing Fred, I see Whaley becoming a bit of a meme around here ("going rogue," etc.).

Personally, I was upset about Fred, think the EJ pick was a disaster, and recognize how much we gave up for Sammy considering there were other great WR picks in that draft.

However, my confidence in Whaley has never been higher. Is he not primarily responsible for the stellar roster we currently have? All I have seen since Whaley joined the Bills, and since he took over the Bills, is the Bills getting WAY more competitive and the culture and expectations completely changed.

I love Whaley, and I think some of the fools around here should appreciate competence when they see it. The Bills are good, and it's because of Whaley.

No.

Yep.

Ok fair enough. I think Buddy gets a raw deal around here so I can see where you are coming from. His legacy may be no Quarterback and TJ over RW but Mario, Marcel, Bradham, A. Williams, Gilmore, Glenn are among the best players on the team and Buddy brought them in along with re-signing Kyle, Eric Wood and McKelvin.

I do think Whaley has built on that solid base pretty well though.

Yep.

Nix? Nix did some good things and started the turnaround, including bringing Whaley in. Nix did an above average job, but from what I've seen I have to give Whaley much more credit than Nix. Bringing Sammy, Percy, McCoy and Clay in over the course of 2 years while improving OLine at the same time is the reason why we expect to be in the playoffs this year and that is all Whaley...

It certainly appear as though everyone agrees with you based on the poll! I know I sure do! I've said this before, but this seems an appropriate thread. The fact that so many of Whaley's moves seem a little suspect and seem a little bad is really just an indication of how good he really is. It just shows that he's operating at a much higher level than so many commentators and GMs in this league.

It certainly appear as though everyone agrees with you based on the poll! I know I sure do! I've said this before, but this seems an appropriate thread. The fact that so many of Whaley's moves seem a little suspect and seem a little bad is really just an indication of how good he really is. It just shows that he's operating at a much higher level than so many commentators and GMs in this league.

For the record, I knew they would. I just wanted to get something concrete out there so various snips at Whaley are clearly taken for what they are--pure jokes.

Yep. GMs only get that benefit of the doubt once the team shows us the baby so to speak. People decried John Schneider's first couple of drafts in Seattle and they produced a boat load of pro-bowlers. The team starts winning and his last two drafts (which at the moment look less stellar) were praised to the roof tops. And I always feel a bit for GMs in that sense because their job is to stock the cupboard... it is not their fault if the Head Coach makes a crap dinner.

If the Bills start winning Whaley will begin to get his respect.

Is there a problem with Whaley? He cut one of my all times favorites in Freddy, but Freddie is 34, decent contract, we traded for Shay then draft Karlos, and it looks like Freddy lost a step. Having to move on from a popular veteran is actually a good thing, it means our roster is getting stronger and stronger. Wont stop next year when we say good bye to Kyle WIlliams. Nothing wrong with this type of roster evolving, just gotta win.

Good is as good does. I'm still burned by all the "top DL on paper" stuff before the 2012 season with Wannstache.

I think Whaley has done a good job overall. I think his D acquisitions overall have been solid. I think some of his O acquisitions have been shakier or have a verdict of "not yet proven" - the Chris Williams signing was the worst (and I think the guy responsible for scouting that got the sack), the 2014 OL draft is a mixed bag (one out of three with "improving, but Not All That yet" for a 2nd), and the Bryce Brown and McCoy trades get a "TBD this season". I'm.....Hopeful!!!!

I think the question on Whaley is, is he really good, or is he just so much better than the Tire Fires we had before him (I view Nix as a transitional player)

I would not call the EJ pick a disaster. He was a project. Projects by definition take a couple of years. The last 2 games it seemed that the light went on. IMO, he has turned the corner & if asked will play with confidence. Prior to this year, I had my doubts but I am slowly changing my opinion of him. We shall see.

Lets not forget the moves that were NOT made that turned out to be correct.

Like Byrd?

Very good point. Lots of "experts" were saying the Bills D would take

a big hit if they let him go.

Edited by Dr. K