Edit: now confirmed rumor that Bills will release Cassel

eball

• Replies 692
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He never definitively stated he would keep 3....just that it was looking highly likely(at that point). I imagine that when Rex said that he was not wanting to cut EJ as he could see potential in him.....and after EJ showed himself to be actually better than Cassel, there is no reason to keep the more expensive vet.

Agreed.

Plus, when are people going to start to understand that you cannot really believe what Rex says in press conferences. Yes, he is refreshingly honest. But he also says that stuff is great, and usually says I love this guy and everything is great. UNLESS he says stuff the complete opposite like he doesn't know Bryce Brown's name. Rex just says stuff and you cannot take him at his word. It's not like everything he says is a lie or not true, but he loves to talk and he loves to build his guys and himself up and that's why the players and media guys and most people like him.

Except people who think he's a blowhard.

For me, I love him and think he's great, I just don't believe what he says as gospel.

I'd be shocked. We gave up a 5th and a 7th in a trade for him. Maybe a trade to get something, even a 7th back. But with no veteran on team, it just wouldn't make sense.

Aren't both EJ and TT veterans? If the value of the 5th and 7th rounders is cap space to keep Darius, Bradham, etal, so be it...

For me, I love him and think he's great, I just don't believe what he says as gospel.

This applies to Brandon, Whaley, and Rex equally. And I'm totally fine with it.

The local media, however, can't stand it.

If this really happens and the Bills cut Cassel I can't wait to troll poor old Vic Carucci -- he was banking his reputation on Cassel as the starter.

I suspect he means veterans that actually saw the field regularly in their careers, you know, experienced.

Rex doesn't care about such things...he ran with Sanchise, then Gino...Neither had a minute of experience - Hell, EJ and TT are vastly more experienced at the NFL game than either of those two. Roman succeeded with an inexperienced reclamation project in Alex Smith, then Kapernick... I think an unmolded EJ or TT more to their liking out of the box...

If this happens - good for EJ. This wouldn't have happened if EJ hadn't stepped up in those preseason contests and proven that he could play in this league. I'm proud of him. We know where Cassel's ceiling is - and what EJ showed against Pittsburgh was a much higher ceiling.

EJ earned a role on this team. He seems comfortable in the offense and is developing. He has remained positive despite many setbacks. He spoke to the media yesterday while Cassel disappeared. I think EJ is more invested in the team. If TT got hurt I would rather see EJ go in than Cassel.

Not sure why anyone is really worried about the Pats* signing Cassel. I doubt he'd start over Garappolo and then Marcia comes back. I'm not sure "picking his brain" is worth the asking price for NE*.

I'll just drop this thought here, as it has no other real place. It was gratifying to see EJ respond to not getting the starting gig the way he has---and the way I expected him to: Professional and Hopeful. It's odd to think many wanted the Bills to get Ryan Mallet--who still has done nothing in the NFL and looks to be, in most ways, worse than EJ. Mallet responded to being passed over for the #2 slot by complaining publicly, then "oversleeping" and missing practice the next day. I'd be mighty mad if that QB was still on a team I rooted for.

i would like for them to keep Cassel. 3 unproven youngsters makes me nervous. i have high hopes but they weren't up against the complex schemes in the preseason that they will see in the regular season. would be nice to have that safety blanket just in case, just like last year with Orton