Why was Freddy cut?

negativo

123 members have voted

1. 1. The decision to cut Freddy was...

• Whaley's to save face on Bryce Brown that Rex begrudgingly went along with
    • A unanimous decision by the front office and coaches
    • Something else...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Fred was cut because he was expensive and there was no upside. That said I think it was the wrong move because even though he lacked upside and he hit his ceiling long ago, he was a damn good player and he proved his worth yesterday. He looked awesome on that run. Next they're gonna cut Easley even though he had a monster day by this logic. Smh gonna miss my favorite bill.

Special teams, special teams and special teams

This makes a ton of sense. As a side note, I've been watching hard knocks for the past 5 years or so and I don't remember a GM ever making this decision (he has a place at the table.) Seems much more likely that the coaches felt the need to move on.

I believe the decision to cut Freddy was Whaley's attempt to save face on his failed trade for Bryce Brown. I believe Whaley's ego got in the way of the best interests of the football team. I say Rex signed off on it because he had bigger fish to fry than backup RB, most notably starting the QB he brought in over Whaley's top pick EJ Manuel.

It was a trade of sorts. Whaley gave up EJ, Rex caved on Freddy, and then they both made nice with Papa Terry.

It is what it is, but the decision letting Freddy go to keep Bryce was an awful, pig-headed one.

C'mon man- Whaley just wants to win. They've taken swings and have moved on from several moves that didn't pan out.

There are still 2 or 3 rbs to be cut still

Doesn't mean I'm happy about it, but I don't think it was a move to save face. I think the FO ultimately went with a younger & cheaper player in Brown over Fred. OR it's possible that neither Brown nor Fred makes the team, and they decided to release Fred first out of respect for him - i.e., he has a better chance of catching on elsewhere now vs. in the last cuts.

13 fumbles in the last 3 seasons. That's a lot.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackFr02.htm

It is. Some comparisons:

last three seasons:

Fred Jackson: 13 fumbles on 659 touches

DeMarco Murray: 12 fumbles on 914 touches

LeSean McCoy: 9 fumbles on 960 touches

Arian Foster: 5 fumbles on 832 touches

Marshawn Lynch: 13 fumbles on 992 touches

Matt Forte: 6 fumbles on 1,023 touches

Frank Gore: 8 fumbles on 844 touches

La'Veon Bell (two seasons only): 1 fumble on 662 touches (3 more touches than Fred's 659)

Edited by dave mcbride

It's nearly impossible to believe that Whaley trading for Brown had nothing to do with healthy Freddy being cut and injured, fumbling, soft, lost Brown being kept. Considering Rex has done nothing but bash Brown and say positive things about Freddy, it doesn't require a tinfoil hat to do the math here.

Whether they're lost or not is a matter of luck.

Not necessarily, there's something to be said for picking up your own fumble. But at the end of the day, I understand and agree with the decision. I just don't like to see the fans on here already besmirching Fredex because he was cut. It's ok to not dump on a guy that is no longer with the team.

Um, the younger guys are better for the future of our team?

Too simple, the real answer is that they cut him JUST to anger fans :D

As has been said in about a million threads - it sucks. I LOVE Freddy. I bought his jersey last year. I've been saying for (far too many) years that the guy is the heart of the team.

But this is the NFL, you don't win by keep fan favorite, old players. Sucks, but hey, so does life sometimes...

It's nearly impossible to believe that Whaley trading for Brown had nothing to do with healthy Freddy being cut and injured, fumbling, soft, lost Brown being kept. Considering Rex has done nothing but bash Brown and say positive things about Freddy, it doesn't require a tinfoil hat to do the math here.

I cant believe I keep responding to your lunacy, but its a boring Monday.

You do realize Freddy has been injured more, and has fumbled more, than Brown, right?

So Whalley cut Freddy and kept Brown even through Rex likes Freddy and not Brown?

Not buying it.

Freddy was as good as gone when Rex was hired. Not sure why. But it was reported he was on the outs almost immediately. The Pegulas stepped in and asked Rex to keep Freddy and give him a chance in camp.