Why was Freddy cut?

negativo

123 members have voted

1. 1. The decision to cut Freddy was...

• Whaley's to save face on Bryce Brown that Rex begrudgingly went along with
    • A unanimous decision by the front office and coaches
    • Something else...

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Age and cash. The other guys were younger, less expensive and play special teams.

I think it was a bad move as nobody is going to replace his pass blocking, overall usefulness and leadership. People keep mentioning his speed, who cares? He was never a speed guy yet he always managed to find holes and fall forward for gains. Every team could use a guy like that, even at his age.

He doesn't look blazing on this play, but he doesn't look stationary either. He looks OK: http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2015082951/2015/PRE3/steelers@bills#menu=gameinfo%7CcontentId%3A0ap3000000514380&tab=videos .

Correct. Fred is not too slow. How many running backs in the league would have outrun a secondary that had an angle? He almost did, barely getting tripped as he was diving for the goal line. I don't accept the argument that Fred was done, and Fred is still better on his worst day than Bryce Brown on his best.

I repeat: The decision to release Fred may have been a lot of things, but one thing it absolutely was not is a football decision.

Correct. Fred is not too slow. How many running backs in the league would have outrun a secondary that had an angle? He almost did, barely getting tripped as he was diving for the goal line. I don't accept the argument that Fred was done, and Fred is still better on his worst day than Bryce Brown on his best.

I repeat: The decision to release Fred may have been a lot of things, but one thing it absolutely was not is a football decision.

They would have scored easily on that play.Bryce could run backwards as fast as Fred. But Fred did have heart.

They would have scored easily on that play.Bryce could run backwards as fast as Fred. But Fred did have heart.

The next time Bryce Brown is able to see the field and find a hole will be the first time. He's a bum. A stiff, and does not belong in the NFL.

Age has to be a factor. Personally, I think the Bills are working on their salary cap such that they can get a deal done with Dareus. $2.5m doesn't seem like a lot, but when you're trying to get a deal done in the $17m per year range, it matters. Another factor here is the RB's they already have on the roster. McCoy doesn't need to be mentioned because he's the bell cow. They still have Dixon, Brown and now rookie Karlos Williams. Hill and Wood have all looked serviceable and honestly I don't even see them keeping any more than 4-5. Another factor IMO is consideration. If the Bills had waited until a couple days before the start of the season, I would see that as a jerk move for a guy that's been the face of the franchise. Here, they give him a chance to find the best potential situation for him prior to the start of the season. Classy move. I'm not buying the conspiracy theory arguments. They just don't fly in the face of reality when you put even a little thought to it.

I believe the decision to cut Freddy was Whaley's attempt to save face on his failed trade for Bryce Brown. I believe Whaley's ego got in the way of the best interests of the football team. I say Rex signed off on it because he had bigger fish to fry than backup RB, most notably starting the QB he brought in over Whaley's top pick EJ Manuel.

It was a trade of sorts. Whaley gave up EJ, Rex caved on Freddy, and then they both made nice with Papa Terry.

It is what it is, but the decision letting Freddy go to keep Bryce was an awful, pig-headed one.

Do you honestly believe this claptrap?

Need another option for this poll: "Old, often injured, fumbles, expensive #4, and it's time to move on"

Old - Yes

Often injured - Yes, lately

Fumbles - Not so much, where are you getting this from?

Expensive - (you honestly think he is 4th best back overall on that team? At worst I'd say #3)

Time to move on - THIS was all you needed to post, and it's true. It was time.

Edited by Tenhigh

Old - Yes

Often injured - Yes, lately

Fumbles - Not so much, where are you getting this from?

Expensive - (you honestly think he is 4th best back overall on that team? At worst I'd say #3)

Time to move on - THIS was all you needed to post, and it's true. It was time.

13 fumbles in the last 3 seasons. That's a lot.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackFr02.htm

I believe the decision to cut Freddy was Whaley's attempt to save face on his failed trade for Bryce Brown. I believe Whaley's ego got in the way of the best interests of the football team. I say Rex signed off on it because he had bigger fish to fry than backup RB, most notably starting the QB he brought in over Whaley's top pick EJ Manuel.

It was a trade of sorts. Whaley gave up EJ, Rex caved on Freddy, and then they both made nice with Papa Terry.

It is what it is, but the decision letting Freddy go to keep Bryce was an awful, pig-headed one.

You are over-thinking this.

Freddy was cut just to piss you off.

Worked like a charm.

GO BILLS!!!