QB Tyrod Taylor to start Week 1

• Replies 629
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's the 3rd string because Rex has him in the "developmental" spot. Which means, he wants him to learn from the sidelines as opposed to holding the clipboard like Matt Cassell (a role the veteran is better suited for). In the event that Tyrod goes down for any length of time, I'd bet you'd see EJ starting a game before MC because he's better suited for Roman's offense.

I think that this is spot on.

OR they can not dress him if they choose. And the reasons are spelled out. the change was in 11 i believe i know what you are saying. But,

Like it says many teams choose not to dress the thrid QB. The reasons are obvious the other two can not re enter the game. Who wants a third stringer playing with the practice squad coming in say in the first half? Or First three quarters. IIRC Chan sometimes dressed only the starter. But yes they can dress three.

I know they changed the third QB rule in 2011 when the active went up from 45 to 46 and eliminated the way it used to be. I thought they added some weird emergency rule though since that. Sure they could choose not to dress him on the active 46. I don't think Chan ever went into a game with only one, that would be insane, especially with the Bills line. ;)

Yeah, put the guy with the PERFECT QBR ON THE END OF THE BENCH. That seems fair

I think, at least I hope, you are misreading the situation. He might not really be "at the end of the bench" as far as being a starter. But Cassel might be more suited to mop-up duty if thrown into a game. I think Heel's makes a good point.

I think he's the 3rd string because Rex has him in the "developmental" spot. Which means, he wants him to learn from the sidelines as opposed to holding the clipboard like Matt Cassell (a role the veteran is better suited for). In the event that Tyrod goes down for any length of time, I'd bet you'd see EJ starting a game before MC because he's better suited for Roman's offense.

Totally different, Cassel is Alex Smith in this equation.

The Bills are starting the rawest, least experienced of all the QBs. EJ is more of a known quantity at this point than Taylor (based just on number of games played). The Bills are starting their "Kaepernick" so to speak. This isn't "play the safe guy until the project is ready." This is playing the project.

Cassel style of play is NOWHERE like Alex Smith. Smith is a very mobile QB with suspect accuracy. Manuel is more of a "project" than Tyrod Taylor. If you're speaking of experience as in starts, then yes. Hasn't Taylor been in the league longer than EJ?

I don't think that he is saying that. I think that the point is we do not yet know what Taylor is. We know that there are a segment of really respected coaches (Harbaugh and Kubiak at least) that think very highly of him as a player. He came out in camp and the preseason and moved the team up and down the field and won the job. There is absolutely reason to be optimistic. We will see how it translates once the regular season begins but I do not understand how anyone is not excited by this (at least at this point)?

I agree. We really don't have any idea who or what Tyrod Talor is. He's had a decent 3 game stretch in Preseason. I think we're making a knee jerk reaction to TT because we're so desperate for a legitimate QB on this team.

I'm as optimistic as I can be after 3 preseason games about TT. I just have more faith in EJ.

That was never realistic though. There are too many good reporters (especially in the social media age). We were going to know almost instantaneously.

Ha, backpedal time!

There is a thread filled with blather from a bunch of guys here (including you) claiming that Ryan is setting up a smokescreen, and what a big advantage he would be creating.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/180213-ej-will-start-pittsburgh-game/page-42

Cassel style of play is NOWHERE like Alex Smith. Smith is a very mobile QB with suspect accuracy. Manuel is more of a "project" than Tyrod Taylor. If you're speaking of experience as in starts, then yes. Hasn't Taylor been in the league longer than EJ?

I am not sure that I understand the reference to "remember that Alex Smith started the season?" I assumed that meant that the project (ie Kaepernick) was not ready and this is a similar situation. It is not similar at all in that the Bills are starting a guy with 35 career pass attempts. EJ has 437 and Cassel 2369. This isn't a case of slowly developing a project. The Bills have 2 guys that are 7 months apart in age and they were hoping that one would win the job. Taylor won the job and will be give EVERY chance to develop into a franchise guy. He isn't there to keep the seat warm for anybody. If he fails they may turn it over to EJ but Taylor isn't there UNTIL EJ is read.

I think, at least I hope, you are misreading the situation. He might not really be "at the end of the bench" as far as being a starter. But Cassel might be more suited to mop-up duty if thrown into a game. I think Heel's makes a good point.

EJ's getting dissed by this organization at every turn. What I saw on Saturday was a starting NFL QB. Putting him at 3rd shows no confidence in him and if I was him I'd be pissed asf. Rex is a players coach and he made his decision, EJ's getting no playing time barring catastrophe. What's that say to EJ? Oh, man, you're OK, well keep you, if my boy goes down maybe we can throw you in there but here, you sit here and watch and if I need you I'll let you know.

Eff that, send him somewhere where his coach wants him. He's gonna be a distraction, to me, here anyways. As a fan, I want to focus on our team now, not a guy I think, coulda woulda shoulda

It could easily be a smokescreen. All it takes is one player willing to burn a bridge with a reporter. Although I doubt it. As has been pointed out quite often there's really not that much incentive to doing so.

Let me ask you though, if your Indy are you really not even going to entertain the possibility that we have another qb behind center in game 1?

Excited to see we have our starter named. However TT doesn't protect himself while taking hits. He doesn't slide in the open field and he looks fragile TBH.

I stick with EJ. The team wasted the last two years of his and our lives if he doesn't start. He's got the blue collar feel to him. I consider him a Buffalo before TT

Have you seen Tyrod Taylor? Dude is built like a brick wall.

I am not sure that I understand the reference to "remember that Alex Smith started the season?" I assumed that meant that the project (ie Kaepernick) was not ready and this is a similar situation. It is not similar at all in that the Bills are starting a guy with 35 career pass attempts. EJ has 437 and Cassel 2369. This isn't a case of slowly developing a project. The Bills have 2 guys that are 7 months apart in age and they were hoping that one would win the job. Taylor won the job and will be give EVERY chance to develop into a franchise guy. He isn't there to keep the seat warm for anybody. If he fails they may turn it over to EJ but Taylor isn't there UNTIL EJ is read.

Okay, then explain Tyrod's contract.

Ha, backpedal time!

There is a thread filled with blather from a bunch of guys here (including you) claiming that Ryan is setting up a smokescreen, and what a big advantage he would be creating.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/180213-ej-will-start-pittsburgh-game/page-42

Obviously, Rex would have liked to but it was never likely. There is no backpedaling on my end. if he could have kept it a secret it would have been an advantage. That is obvious. These things do not often (or ever) not get leaked. Nice try though

Yes, TT been in the league since 2011. Played 13 game compared to EJ's 15 games. Both are project players IMO. They haven't started or played in enough games to know what they are. At this point, I would take EJ over TT. EJ's size and arm is more suited for the NFL.

EJ's getting dissed by this organization at every turn. What I saw on Saturday was a starting NFL QB. Putting him at 3rd shows no confidence in him and if I was him I'd be pissed asf. Rex is a players coach and he made his decision, EJ's getting no playing time barring catastrophe. What's that say to EJ? Oh, man, you're OK, well keep you, if my boy goes down maybe we can throw you in there but here, you sit here and watch and if I need you I'll let you know.

Eff that, send him somewhere where his coach wants him. He's gonna be a distraction, to me, here anyways. As a fan, I want to focus on our team now, not a guy I think, coulda woulda shoulda

Are you serious with this hot take? It's really not that complicated.

For many reasons, beyond 3 pre-season games, Taylor won the job. For many reasons, beyond 3 pre-season games, the coaches feel comfortable with Matt Cassell as the primary backup. Probably because they feel he can come in the game in a pinch without any preparation and handle that better than EJ. For many reasons, FAR beyond 3 pre-season games, EJ is going to be third string.

Look, I like EJ too, but he's not getting screwed. Believe it or not Rex, Whaley, and the rest of the staff have a much larger vested interest in the success of the team that you do. They wouldn't stash a star QB because they didn't like him.

Okay, then explain Tyrod's contract.

He was given a FA contract to come in and compete for the job. He actually was offered more money by Denver. If he plays well he will receive a new contract. I do not really understand the question? What kind of contract would you expect someone to give to a guy with 35 career passes? $100M?