Rex is torn TT or Cassel

Reed83HOF

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JFC, if you need the Hubble telescope to determine if MAYBE a microfiber of a fingernail tip COULD have POSSIBLY touched the football, than it really doesn't count as a "tipped pass". Tone it down a notch, EJ fanboys. He had a great game with one shltty 4th down pass. Deal with it.

Nice, the derisive "fanboy." So is it okay if I call you a "hater?"

Who is making a big deal out of an incomplete pass?

It's being focused on because that was the only thing those who dislike EJ can find to gripe about.

The man went 7 - 8, 170 yards, 2 TDS.

EJ's arm will stretch the field, stop the defense from stacking eight in a box; the whole run game will flourish.

EJ is buying time, stepping up into the pocket. In the game, when it counts, he's been damn accurate.

No opportunity for hack journalists to sneer about hospitality tents.

You deal with it.

Edited by Dr. Who

JFC, if you need the Hubble telescope to determine if MAYBE a microfiber of a fingernail tip COULD have POSSIBLY touched the football, than it really doesn't count as a "tipped pass". Tone it down a notch, EJ fanboys. He had a great game with one shltty 4th down pass. Deal with it.

LOL, something about JFC and your Star of David avatar.... :ph34r:

I was just trying to see if there was anything worth noting when comparing pre-season stats to season stats. Not much there, but it does seem that EJ is a bit of a pre-season warrior. Also included Tannehill for the this is what it looks like when you develop a QB thingy. Anyway... sharing because I sorted it out allready anyway.

ypa-completion%

year pres/seas

EJ

2015: 11.9-66.7%/0.0

2014: 6.4-61.7%/6.4-58.8%

2013: 6.0-78.8%/6.4-58%

Meh

2015: 5.5-86.7%/0.0

2014: 9.4-66.7%/6.0-57.7%

2013: 7.9-55%/7.1-60.2%

TT

2015: 7.6-77.4%/0.0

2014: 6.3-63.6%/0.0

2013: 7.3-58.3%/0.4-20%* (relief)

Tannehill

2015: 7.4-80.5%/0.0

2014: 7.1-68.3%/6.9-66.4%

2013: 6.7-60.7%/6.7-60.4%

2012: 5.3-52.6%/6.8-58.3%

I sincerely doubt the coaches and decision makers are going to put nearly as much stock in a few preseason downs as much as many here believe. They will most likely look at the entirety of the body of work that they have seen from these players, see who has progressed during that time period but more importantly see who has been the most consistent.

My guess is as of a few weeks ago they were leaning towards Cassel and that it probably has switched on over to T.T

In my view the other main thing that they are looking at is do they want to go with two or three QBs. If they go with two, my hunch tells me they go with the perceived more consistent option, which probably would be Cassel.

I am really trying to not be judgemental on posts this year and try to understand thought process

but

Jesus

What in the actual time you have had an opportunity to watch these qbs makes you think that

a. Cant stand in the pocket

b. Cant make the throws

TT looks composed.....accurate.....he flicks his wrist and the ball is out with volicity.

I felt like yesterday TT had a complete control of what was going on out there.....so much so that he basically just ripped throws from the pocket to say "ok coaches see I can do this as well" in ADDITION to being such a threat with his mobility

I absolutely LOVE what EJ has done this offseason....if TT was not showing so well EJ would def be my pick.

I've been gone a few hours so even though I'm behind I have to comment on this.

The answer is: because I don't think there are very many QBs PERIOD who can make the reads and throws EJ made the way he did. And since I haven't seen Tyrod do anything like that, nor even attempt anything like that, I question if he can do it at all. I just don't see the craziness in that.

I sincerely doubt the coaches and decision makers are going to put nearly as much stock in a few preseason downs as much as many here believe. They will most likely look at the entirety of the body of work that they have seen from these players, see who has progressed during that time period but more importantly see who has been the most consistent.

My guess is as of a few weeks ago they were leaning towards Cassel and that it probably has switched on over to T.T

In my view the other main thing that they are looking at is do they want to go with two or three QBs. If they go with two, my hunch tells me they go with the perceived more consistent option, which probably would be Cassel.

So if they go with two, you think they're going to go TT and Meh?

And cut EJ? Cassel brings what?

Consistent pop gun arm and soporific offense.

Nice call.

Edited by Dr. Who

I'll take TT or EJ. If they were not playing light out we would all be worried about Cassel's dink and dunk offence down the fiel with no TD's and just field goals.

Same thing we would say about Fitz every preseason. I really hope it's not him. Consistent 8-12 play drives are not what make it come the regular season. Too many things go wrong when you struggle just to keep getting 1st downs. Especially after things tighten up in the red zone.

During the offseason, I thought MC would most likely win the job.

But Cassell has played like most of us expected while TT and EJ have played better than many expected. They both made some nice passes and put together some nice drives.

Unless MC has shown something in practice that we haven't seen in the preseason games, I got to believe he's not in the running any more.

A few of the media pundits have said it's a two man race. I agree. It's TT versus EJ. They've both looked good this preseason.

Edited by hondo in seattle

I was just trying to see if there was anything worth noting when comparing pre-season stats to season stats. Not much there, but it does seem that EJ is a bit of a pre-season warrior. Also included Tannehill for the this is what it looks like when you develop a QB thingy. Anyway... sharing because I sorted it out allready anyway.

ypa-completion%

year pres/seas

EJ

2015: 11.9-66.7%/0.0

2014: 6.4-61.7%/6.4-58.8%

2013: 6.0-78.8%/6.4-58%

Meh

2015: 5.5-86.7%/0.0

2014: 9.4-66.7%/6.0-57.7%

2013: 7.9-55%/7.1-60.2%

TT

2015: 7.6-77.4%/0.0

2014: 6.3-63.6%/0.0

2013: 7.3-58.3%/0.4-20%* (relief)

Tannehill

2015: 7.4-80.5%/0.0

2014: 7.1-68.3%/6.9-66.4%

2013: 6.7-60.7%/6.7-60.4%

2012: 5.3-52.6%/6.8-58.3%

Interesting. Only healthy trend I see there is Tannehill's. I guess he should be really good this year.

Thanks man, I appreciate it. Although Wawrow's tweet makes me a little nervous. My source a few weeks back about Cassel being Roman's guy was probably a bit stronger than what I have on Taylor being the starter. I'd imagine if there really is a discussion right now (which I don't, I still believe it's Taylor, done deal) that it's Roman advocating for Cassel. That would be in line with the B/R report as well.

I respect you and your information. Metz. But I was a bit confused why so many continue to put so much belief in the "Roman wants Cassel, Rex wants TT" talk. I think that was true, generally, at some point in the past. But what I'm hearing is, a few weeks ago, both were far from set on who they preferred---and this was before the start of preseason. A lot has happened in the past few weeks and evaluations change. For what it's worth, I heard the Bills were more or less settled on their season #1 just before the Steeler game---and it wasn't Cassel. My source is pretty good, but not infallible so I have been careful about saying too much on this topic. Plus, until the decision is actually made, there is always a chance for re-evaluation.

Like you this Wawrow tweet has me a bit confused. Wawrow is a rock-solid reporter and isn't in the business of passing along BS. So he's getting that info from somewhere. Of course, he could be getting bad info, or just intentional smoke.

Last night or this morning (can't remember which) I was watching the NFL Network they had two guys (ex players I think) talking about the Bills QB situation. The question was asked: "Did EJ do anything to help himself tonight", or something to that effect. Both said, unequivocally, "No". Now I'm thinking, "Really". If he didn't help himself AT ALL, then there was basically nothing he could have done to help himself, and you have to wonder why they would even start him, and bring him back into the game. Now, had their answer been, "Yes, but not enough to pass TT (or Cassel) because they also played well" then at least I'd have understood the answer. But if EJ didn't help himself with that performance, then starting him was an exercise in futility, I think, for the Bills coaching staff.

As for cutting Cassel, I have been strongly against the idea, and I'm still against it, though perhaps not as strongly as I was. As for cutting, or trading EJ (assuming TT gets the start), I am very strongly against that--unless they get remarkable value in a trade, which is very unlikely. The only reason I think you keep Cassel is to serve as a gameday #2, in case of injury. He probably can be (or should be) ready to play with less preparation during the week than either TT or EJ. And it probably isn't the worst thing to not have someone in the QB room with a lot of starting experience. Is that worth $4 million? I don't know the Bills financial numbers, but I'm guessing they can afford it and get the extension deals done. Or put another way, I don't think that $ will be the difference between getting the extension deals done.

OK saying that Manuel has a higher ceiling than Taylor is one thing. I disagree with you and I think you only believe that because of where they were drafted, which is entirely misleading with respect to both of them, but it's a rational thought. But you said that drive yesterday was Taylor's ceiling. That would be like if Mike Trout hit three home runs in a game, stole two bases and made the sickest catch ever, saying "I don't know guys, I think we just saw his ceiling." You literally couldn't have had two better drives than he had.

Not arguing who should start, but I think EJs two drives to start the game might have been better.

Edited by A Dog Named Kelso

I respect you and your information. Metz. But I was a bit confused why so many continue to put so much belief in the "Roman wants Cassel, Rex wants TT" talk. I think that was true, generally, at some point in the past. But what I'm hearing is, a few weeks ago, both were far from set on who they preferred---and this was before the start of preseason. A lot has happened in the past few weeks and evaluations change. For what it's worth, I heard the Bills were more or less settled on their season #1 just before the Steeler game---and it wasn't Cassel. My source is pretty good, but not infallible so I have been careful about saying too much on this topic. Plus, until the decision is actually made, there is always a chance for re-evaluation.

Like you this Wawrow tweet has me a bit confused. Wawrow is a rock-solid reporter and isn't in the business of passing along BS. So he's getting that info from somewhere. Of course, he could be getting bad info, or just intentional smoke.

Last night or this morning (can't remember which) I was watching the NFL Network they had two guys (ex players I think) talking about the Bills QB situation. The question was asked: "Did EJ do anything to help himself tonight", or something to that effect. Both said, unequivocally, "No". Now I'm thinking, "Really". If he didn't help himself AT ALL, then there was basically nothing he could have done to help himself, and you have to wonder why they would even start him, and bring him back into the game. Now, had their answer been, "Yes, but not enough to pass TT (or Cassel) because they also played well" then at least I'd have understood the answer. But if EJ didn't help himself with that performance, then starting him was an exercise in futility, I think, for the Bills coaching staff.

As for cutting Cassel, I have been strongly against the idea, and I'm still against it, though perhaps not as strongly as I was. As for cutting, or trading EJ (assuming TT gets the start), I am very strongly against that--unless they get remarkable value in a trade, which is very unlikely. The only reason I think you keep Cassel is to serve as a gameday #2, in case of injury. He probably can be (or should be) ready to play with less preparation during the week than either TT or EJ. And it probably isn't the worst thing to not have someone in the QB room with a lot of starting experience. Is that worth $4 million? I don't know the Bills financial numbers, but I'm guessing they can afford it and get the extension deals done. Or put another way, I don't think that $ will be the difference between getting the extension deals done.

Fully agree with this post.

As was putting him back in again in the 3rd qtr

So if they go with two, you think they're going to go TT and Meh?

And cut EJ? Cassel brings what?

Consistent pop gun arm and soporific offense.

Nice call.

I'm not emotionally invested with any of the quarterbacks, apparently you are. My conclusion is based on the consistency of the QBs, T.T in my view has shown a continuous and consistent progession of what he can do. And although EJ has been showing some improvement, he has not been consistent.

Don't take it personal, it's just my opinion.

If 7 - 8, 170 yds, 2 TDS doesn't help your case, really nothing will.

I'd like to know the rationale. I say it's more groupthink.

If it isn't, too bad for us. EJ is going to be a good player for someone, I think.

I think Rex and Roman already decided on and designed a lot of plays around TT. I don't think anyone saw EJ coming and they don't want to bother changing anything.

The national media only cares about the Patriots, Cowboys, Eagles and Jets. Go beyond those four teams and they have very little grasp of what's going on.

Just this morning on ESPN, they had two guys debating whether Rex would select Taylor or Cassel as the starter. The conversation about Cassel being a starter is done and they don't know it because they aren't really paying attention.

Edited by 1billsfan

I'm not emotionally invested with any of the quarterbacks, apparently you are. My conclusion is based on the consistency of the QBs, T.T in my view has shown a continuous and consistent progession of what he can do. And although EJ has been showing some improvement, he has not been consistent.

Don't take it personal, it's just my opinion.

I hear this a lot ... basically from the media. Can someone point to a preseason game where this was the case?