GR postgame unbelievably predicts Cassel as the starter

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's amazing this stance this dude is taking... His logic is ridiculous. "Stats don't matter, all that matter is who played the least."

Except for the last forty years of the NFL the third game 90% of the teams play the starter half the game and into the third quarter. The Steelers didn't but I think they needed to get Vick some snaps.

Good call, Gunner. TT showed a lot of pocket presence today. Just what I needed to see.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly. EJ was terrific tonight, and my comfort level with him went way up (though I still don't fully trust him). But the kinds of plays he was making aren't consistently reproducible against good defenses game-planning against you, unless you are a QB god, which I don't think he is (yet, anyway). Not saying he wouldn't make any big plays like that - just not consistently against good defenses.

But the little things that Taylor was doing to convert third downs, keep drives going, work the team into scoring position, etc. ARE consistently reproducible by a good QB, which I think Taylor is. I think this has to be Taylor's team.

Again, though, three cheers for EJ and if he keeps on progressing, who knows where he ends up. He surely gunned some beauties today.

Coller continues to hang his hat on the fact that Rex said it would be practice and scrimmage, not the games, to determine the starter. Did Rex really say that? Coller also says that he respects what EJ has done, but then a second later trashes what he did in a meaningless preseason game. Ugh, one trick pony. Keep repeating your mantra Matthew.

Listening to the GR post-game show, and somehow, they are still thinking Matt Cassel is the starter. The rationale? He played the smallest amount, like Rapelisberger, so he's the starter. Never mind how the QB's actually played in a game situation. EJ has been in third place (so they say) since the start of TC, so he's still third.

Based on his performance, Cassel is at best a good backup. EJ or Tyrod CLEARLY earned the job today. Cassel showed why he's a good 3rd string emergency guy. At $4.5M, the Bills are paying a lot for an emergency veteran guy, but it's worth it if you need it. Anyone pushing Cassel as the starter is delusional, IMHO. Are you really going to discount those dimes by EJ? The clutch runs by Tyrod? No wonder people think that GR announcers have an agenda and personal bias.

I like EJ, but have no problems if Tyrod is named the starter and EJ the backup. If Cassel is higher than 2 on the QB depth chart, it's going to be a major bummer. It also doesn't say much for rewarding performance.

Make the right call Rex.

1A. EJ

1B. Tyrod

3. Cassel

4. Simms to the PS if he has eligibility and clears waivers.

Should the team start Cassel or EJ I can see Taylor getting lots of plays as a WC QB or going for 2 pts.

I'll be kind of shocked to see Cassel as the "safe" option as starter

Coller continues to hang his hat on the fact that Rex said it would be practice and scrimmage, not the games, to determine the starter. Did Rex really say that? Coller also says that he respects what EJ has done, but then a second later trashes what he did in a meaningless preseason game. Ugh, one trick pony. Keep repeating your mantra Matthew.

no, he didn't. Rex said the opposite. Games were more important.

If they start Cassel they need to win right away. If fans see losses and boring, vanilla dink and dunk qb play it'll look pretty much like the last 15 years and we're all pretty tired of that. Start Tyrod, if we lose at least we got some excitement and can always pull him and then go to Cassel. If we start Cassel I don't see him getting replaced for being too conservative.

He said "live scrimmages" but it was clearly intended to include exhibition games - he just meant he would judge live play more than anything else.

Should the team start Cassel or EJ I can see Taylor getting lots of plays as a WC QB or going for 2 pts.

I'll be kind of shocked to see Cassel as the "safe" option as starter

I like that option. TT would be excellent as a change of pace or going for 2. EJ, of course, would be the starter :flirt:

Vic Carruci is saying the same thing. All of the Media Pundits were calling for Cassel because they refuse to admit they are wrong.

I am going to laugh when Rex names EJ the starter and shocks everyone.