I Love WGR... really

theesir

Yeah sully was a total energy drain. Reminded me of the typical old tenured high school teacher going through the motions counting his years til they forced his cynical ass into retirement.

It has to be a huge challenge for schopp and bulldog to not burnout talking about the same two teams for 15 hours a week, every single week of the year.

Thats why i cut em slack, i love the Bills more than they do and i can only handle an hour of wgr radio max. Bulldog hides it better than Schopp, who has some days where you can tell he is sick of his job. Dont blame the guy at all.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WGR had a well-deserved major “faceplant” moment yesterday. They’ve collectively spent the last month overrating a journeyman backup QB who throws very weak interceptable balls and a small “run first, pass second” QB with no starts under his belt (I like Taylor, but I don’t think he should be considered THAT much better than EJ). Not one of those dopes gave EJ a shot to win the starting job and now they are all scrambling because after losing credibility given how 100% dismissive they were of Manuel and the people who still liked him best in the competition

The sooner Pegula cuts ties with that station the better because they are more interested in the “groupthink” “mob” mentality than real analysis. They need to have former Bills players mixed in with hosts who know what they’re talking about and can think for themselves. I listen to the “The Fanatic” in Philly over WGR because those hosts are great because they love to talk football and they welcome any and all opinions. I’d rather listen to Eagles football talk than WGR!…LOL
Is it so truly amazing that Rex Ryan likes still the one QB on this team who is big, tall, athletic, clutch and throws the ball with great velocity? Is EJ off a few times? Yes, but would you rather have that or a guy who throws accurate passes all the time which are very slow and easily intercepted?
WGR is a joke IMO.

Your comment is only valid if you believe the folks on the air live and breath their opinions 24 hours a day like many folks here do. I think EJ is a bad quarterback, I also think Donald Trump is a loon. I don't want to listen to a radio show that talks about a quarterback for 4 straight hours for the same reason I won't listen to a radio station talking about a politician for 4 straight hours. ITS BORING AS HELL!!! There's more to life. If you believe any host from WGR went home last night and yelled at their wife and kids because the guy they said was going to get cut is starting on Saturday you don't realize what an empty life you live.

Your comment is only valid if you believe the folks on the air live and breath their opinions 24 hours a day like many folks here do. I think EJ is a bad quarterback, I also think Donald Trump is a loon. I don't want to listen to a radio show that talks about a quarterback for 4 straight hours for the same reason I won't listen to a radio station talking about a politician for 4 straight hours. ITS BORING AS HELL!!! There's more to life. If you believe any host from WGR went home last night and yelled at their wife and kids because the guy they said was going to get cut is starting on Saturday you don't realize what an empty life you live.

You think these guys are so smart, yet not one of them could break out of their “groupthink” opinion bubble long enough to see what Rex saw in EJ.

You do know that if everyone in a room is in agreement on a sports related topic based on predicting an outcome which is unknown, that generally there’s a very good chance everyone in that room is wrong.
I don’t find an echo chamber filled with pompous snobs appealing at all. Especially one that can’t seem to find one person to put on air who doesn’t agree with the group.
Edited by 1billsfan

We're saddled with putrid media here and I've given up nearly all of it, save the occasional read of the news or listen to WGR55 in the car (I mainly commute by other means so I listen to music). I come here for Bills news, honestly. I'm over-educated, analytical, quantitative, and have my own opinions. Why would I turn to someone with a microphone, a bachelor's degree in broadcasting, and a sh!tty attitude to tell me what I can deduce myself? Seriously, why does anyone need to hear the opinion of any of these guys? Who cares. Put it this way, all they did was take class in communication, all their opinions are from reading and seeing the same thing you do. These are not experts is what I am saying. They are no more experts than many of you when it comes to football knowledge.

And when they get into the analytics, it's maddening. Case in point, a few days ago I think, I was with someone's car listening to it and Jeremy White is arguing that he didn't like some stats from PFF. Can't recall which but his argument was totally illogical but also completely typical of those who cherry picks stats that benefit their argument and ignore the ones that run counter to their normative brains. He must have read How to Lie with Statistics. Schopp is just that kid from school who never played sports but read everything all the time and was a total nerdy know-it-all that people ignored, except probably the A/V club. Now he has a bully pulpit and enjoys feeling smart, which isn't hard given the population of callers.

The best thing about WGR over the last few years was when they got rid of Sully! Miserable, middle-aged, middle-class, divorced (shocker he got remarried), white males do not make interesting radio.

This is what drives me nuts about you guys who hate GR..you are the ones who cherry pick. What Jeremy said is he loves PFF, but they keep one analytic that is just stupid...and would that make you consider the veracity of their other analytics? and he posed it as a question.

The stat was QBR rating against DBs.. In other words, lets say Gilmore is lined up on 60 snaps against T. Y. Hilton on opening day. And Gilmore pretty much shuts him down, but Luck completes 2 of 2 attempts to Hilton for 32 yards. The PFF analytic then says Gilmore had a piss poor day and Luck/Hilton a great day as they 100% on targets. That is a dumb stat. He shut him down on 58 plays.

This had ZERO to do with supporting anything other argument Jeremy has made in the past or will make in the future.

You think these guys are so smart, yet not one of them could break out of their “groupthink” opinion bubble long enough to see what Rex saw in EJ.

So tell me what Rex has seen in EJ? Are you saying he is the starter for the season now cause he is going to play a couple of series in the 3rd preseason game?

Funny. I heard the exact opposite from a guy who used to be an on-air host at GR.

Me, too. I know someone that works there, it's been stated what an arrogant ass he is, doesn't even speak, and looks down on people.

I met him once, wasn't impressed even a little bit.

I no longer live in Western NY so for the past 8 plus years haven't had the joy of listening to Schopp anymore, when I did live there I also couldn't stand listening to him. Where I do live now, I get to hear Lebatard everyday and as far as I'm concerned he's just as bad. They are just like Schopp and the Bulldog, Stugotz laughs at all of Lebatards jokes, they have weekly segment like; Love advise from Marcellus Wiley, weekly segments with the head zookeeper from the Miami Zoo, some type of March Madness picking of movies beating other movies each week to advance. The day after the Masters they interviewed Jordan Speith, Speith mentioned he watched some movie Sunday morning, so the next five questions are all about the movie! Lebatard doesn't come off quite as condescending, but is a close second. A few weeks back Stugotz filled in for Greeny in the morning and he actually wasn't bad to listen to, once he's away from Lebatard, seems I've heard other similar comments about Bulldog too, alone he's OK.

My opinion is most afternoon hosts are all geared towards the same thing, making light of sports, from their viewpoint it doesn't matter in the grand scheme. Their goal in live is to make you realize there's more to life than sports and want you to become a much more well rounded; read a book, go to a play, host a wine and cheese party, play more with your kids, watch the History channel on TV, do anything but waste time coming to sites like this or living, breathing, talking sports all the time.

In the grand scheme of things, most people would tend to agree with that, but the problem is for the most part, the people that would tend to follow that lifestyle are not the people who post on this website or others like it. Those of us that come to these websites, myself included, we want 24/7 hardcore sports, and so here we all tend to rip Schopp and company My wife will often see me typing a post to this site in Feb. or March and comments, "Why are you here, the season's over"

I do think the OP is in the majority in general with his views on sports and WGR, however his philosophy will have him burnt at the stake with most of us around here as we're all the hardcore fans.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

I used to hate on Schoop and the Bulldog. Then I wondered what it would be like to listen to callers with that drunken Buffalo accent for fours a day. I feel bad for them on certain occasions. In all honesty, they're not nearly as bad as most make them out to be. If you want X's and O's, go read one of the dozens of websites that break down every single play. That stuff doesn't drive conversation or bring out reaction from the majority of listeners on radio.

WGR blew it with the loss of Nick Mendola, Brad Riter and Bob Gaughan. I love listening to Brad's podcast. He's reunited with Bob Gaughan and not only are they insightful, but hilarious as hell. I also like and listen to Rich Gaenzsler on 1270 the Fan. Rich even talks NBA basketball. Something WGR rarely do.

I don't know about that, you certainly hear people on this site often complaining about the stupid non-sports related topics they spend hours discussing.

And the reason he's so condescending all the time is he has to deal with so many poeple who are just so dumb and don't understand life like he does.

I don't think their shows content is the issue people have with Schopp, it's his arrogant, condescending attitude towards his callers, the very people he needs for his job.

I don't know about that, you certainly hear people on this site often complaining about the stupid non-sports related topics they spend hours discussing.

And the reason he's so condescending all the time is he has to deal with so many poeple who are just so dumb and don't understand life like he does.

I get some callers are kinda stupid, but how many good callers quit calling (myself, for one) because of how you get treated? Other hosts don't downgrade the listeners like he does. Murph is friendly, and Howard and Jeremy are decent to callers. I think it's just Schopps demeanor to be rude.

I don't disagree, but it seems like being arrogant, talk as little as possible about sports, and have a co-host that will laugh at all your jokes is a requirement for being an afternoon sports talk radio host.

I get some callers are kinda stupid, but how many good callers quit calling (myself, for one) because of how you get treated? Other hosts don't downgrade the listeners like he does. Murph is friendly, and Howard and Jeremy are decent to callers. I think it's just Schopps demeanor to be rude.

I'm not being sarcastic. I listen in the morning, I listed to the afternoon segments on demand when I walk the dog in the evening. I love the fact that I can hear sports talk and still enjoy fun conversation about other topics. Listening to WGR is a lot like my life... I love sports, but I like humor too. I like talking about the silly events of the day, laughing at idiots and amazingly, not wetting myself when someone has an opinion different than mine.

I most appreciate the fact that most of the people that call in do not get on the air. If I wanted to listen to uneducated fools babble their stupid opinions, I'd go back to training camp.

The folks on the air are the kind of people I hang out with in every day life. We use sports as a common interest point and like to talk about it, but its not our whole life.

or here :D

WGR blew it with the loss of Nick Mendola, Brad Riter and Bob Gaughan. I love listening to Brad's podcast. He's reunited with Bob Gaughan and not only are they insightful, but hilarious as hell. I also like and listen to Rich Gaenzsler on 1270 the Fan. Rich even talks NBA basketball. Something WGR rarely do.

Brad's podcast with Bob is great. I wish it went longer, but they think that a quick podcast for the length of a Buffalo commute is the way to go.

I really have to preset The Fan on my radios. I never remember it.

I no longer live in Western NY so for the past 8 plus years haven't had the joy of listening to Schopp anymore, when I did live there I also couldn't stand listening to him. Where I do live now, I get to hear Lebatard everyday and as far as I'm concerned he's just as bad. They are just like Schopp and the Bulldog, Stugotz laughs at all of Lebatards jokes, they have weekly segment like; Love advise from Marcellus Wiley, weekly segments with the head zookeeper from the Miami Zoo, some type of March Madness picking of movies beating other movies each week to advance. The day after the Masters they interviewed Jordan Speith, Speith mentioned he watched some movie Sunday morning, so the next five questions are all about the movie! Lebatard doesn't come off quite as condescending, but is a close second. A few weeks back Stugotz filled in for Greeny in the morning and he actually wasn't bad to listen to, once he's away from Lebatard, seems I've heard other similar comments about Bulldog too, alone he's OK.

My opinion is most afternoon hosts are all geared towards the same thing, making light of sports, from their viewpoint it doesn't matter in the grand scheme. Their goal in live is to make you realize there's more to life than sports and want you to become a much more well rounded; read a book, go to a play, host a wine and cheese party, play more with your kids, watch the History channel on TV, do anything but waste time coming to sites like this or living, breathing, talking sports all the time.

In the grand scheme of things, most people would tend to agree with that, but the problem is for the most part, the people that would tend to follow that lifestyle are not the people who post on this website or others like it. Those of us that come to these websites, myself included, we want 24/7 hardcore sports, and so here we all tend to rip Schopp and company My wife will often see me typing a post to this site in Feb. or March and comments, "Why are you here, the season's over"

I do think the OP is in the majority in general with his views on sports and WGR, however his philosophy will have him burnt at the stake with most of us around here as we're all the hardcore fans.

Take it easy. stugotz is the man! Lebatard show is the best, gets better with time. I listen everyday.

OK, so then what do you think of Schopp and the Bulldog, do you like them? Aside from the arrogance and condescending tone which admittedly is no trivial thing, to me it's the same show, same silly non-sports related stuff on both of them. Again I don't live in western NY anymore so haven't heard Schopp in years, but when I read here about many of things he talks about, it's the same as Lebatard. And as I said, Stugotz alone isn't too bad, when he's with Lebatard is when he goes downhill fast IMO.

And I'm not really knocking either of them, as I said more people prefer the lighter side of sports, but not alot that post on fan message boards as we're the diehards.

Just curious since I don't live in western NY, is the Lebatard show on the air someplace there, or do you also not live there?

Take it easy. stugotz is the man! Lebatard show is the best, gets better with time. I listen everyday.

I listen to lebatard show via downloaded podcasts mostly. (No commercials)

I'm in Virginia and Lebatard plays on ESPN affiliate here.

Heard he's taking over 10-1 Cowherd spot soon as opposed to afternoon show.

WGR comments ? Most of them kinda stink. Don't listen that much. Sal is good at times, John Murphy show not too shabby