I Love WGR... really

theesir

I'm not being sarcastic. I listen in the morning, I listed to the afternoon segments on demand when I walk the dog in the evening. I love the fact that I can hear sports talk and still enjoy fun conversation about other topics. Listening to WGR is a lot like my life... I love sports, but I like humor too. I like talking about the silly events of the day, laughing at idiots and amazingly, not wetting myself when someone has an opinion different than mine.

I most appreciate the fact that most of the people that call in do not get on the air. If I wanted to listen to uneducated fools babble their stupid opinions, I'd go back to training camp.

The folks on the air are the kind of people I hang out with in every day life. We use sports as a common interest point and like to talk about it, but its not our whole life.

Edited by theesir

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not being sarcastic. I listen in the morning, I listed to the afternoon segments on demand when I walk the dog in the evening. I love the fact that I can hear sports talk and still enjoy fun conversation about other topics. Listening to WGR is a lot like my life... I love sports, but I like humor too. I like talking about the silly events of the day, laughing at idiots and amazingly, not wetting myself when someone has an opinion different than mine.

I most appreciate the fact that most of the people that call in do not get on the air. If I wanted to listen to uneducated fools babble their stupid opinions, I'd go back to training camp.

The folks on the air are the kind of people I hang out with in every day life. We use sports as a common interest point and like to talk about it, but its not our whole life.

I like it too, especially the morning guys. I must say i have stopped listening to afternoon guys mainly due to Schoop. I think Jeremy and Howard are just fantastic and i really enjoy them. BTW, i am almost a 100% on demand listener, just fantastic with no commercials. And 4 forty minute segments with the morning crew is generally plenty to get me through the day.

I liked it better when they broke down plays and had player interviews, and had knowledgeable national guys on.

See, i dont like the national guys, especially Clayton. Hated when Clayton would get on the afternoon show and talk Bills, when we all know a chit ton more about the Bills then him. If they had national guys on to talk about OTHER teams, then i could live with a bit more. Is Clayton still on the afternoons? I have not seen his name in the on demand lineup.

it sounds like you like the IDEA of WGR. who wouldn't love a radio station that talks Buffalo sports all day? the problem a lot of us have with WGR is the hosts they have employed. Mike Schopp is terrible. he is so depressing, i feel like i need to take a prozac. on one hand i can't really blame them. how can you talk about a team that hasn't been relevant for the past 15 yrs and not become jaded? but given the situation, it would be best just to cut them loose and bring in someone that actually knows what they are talking about and has a fresh perspective. i would love to have some former players on there. they had Gabe Northern on last week and he was awesome! very funny and honest. we need some new blood in there asap

I understand why some may not like the personality of Schopp on the air but he is actually a very nice guy in "real life"

That's surprising considering what a self-absorbed prick he is on air. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Truth be told I find Schopp tremendously entertaining. I think he has a sharp wit, a good sense of humor and a great recall of sports related information. He doesn't like dealing with people with what he considers to be stupid opinions, and neither do I, so more often than not when someone calls in and gets "dismissed", I'm fine with it. I mean, does a guy calling in an proposing we make Tyrod Taylor a wide receiver really deserve to be taken seriously?

As for national guys... I usually find them a waste of time. Hearing Clayton bring up points that clearly evidence no inside knowledge of our team but rather him reading the same stories and twitter posts I see is boring and rather frustrating to me.

Edited by theesir

WGR is a good to great sports station considering the size of Buffalo's market and the fact that Buffalo is only a two sport town. I listen to Kevin Sylvester and Andrew Peters most mornings here in Denver. Schopp and the Bulldog are fine. I hate when people complain "just tuned into WGR and they're talking about (insert non-sports topic here)" Do these people not realize that the formula for sports talk radio shifted to including pop culture like a decade ago? All the successful ones do it, chiefly Dan Patrick. The WGR hate on this website is totally uncalled for and I believe comes mostly from people who have only lived in Buffalo and listened only to WGR their whole lives. I can assure you that WGR is a more entertaining radio station than Denver's big flagship sports station.

I remember Schopp hosing on 107.7 WNSA a number of years ago. That show's tagline was "sports talk for smart people." A lot has changed since the early 2000s, but I think he, like other local sports media, are tired of watching the organization fumble in the darkness for the light switch for 15 seasons.

I don't agree with he or Bulldog all the time, but I sense that they realize it's not going to be the "same old Bills" this year for the first time in forever.

I understand why some may not like the personality of Schopp on the air but he is actually a very nice guy in "real life"

I had a beer with him in St. Louis after a Bills win a few years back. He's was an a-hole to me, but I am kind of an a-hole too so I'm not sure what to think. He definitely thinks he's something special.

I remember Schopp hosing on 107.7 WNSA a number of years ago. That show's tagline was "sports talk for smart people." A lot has changed since the early 2000s, but I think he, like other local sports media, are tired of watching the organization fumble in the darkness for the light switch for 15 seasons.

I don't agree with he or Bulldog all the time, but I sense that they realize it's not going to be the "same old Bills" this year for the first time in forever.

He was the best back then. It was a huge deal when he left to go to WGR and join Chuck Dickerson, whom he had berated for years. Everyone called him a corporate shill for leaving. That WNSA station was great back in the day.

I had a beer with him in St. Louis after a Bills win a few years back. He's was an a-hole to me, but I am kind of an a-hole too so I'm not sure what to think. He definitely thinks he's something special.

Yeah I think he's good on the air but he's pretty douchey on twitter so I could definitely see that.

We're saddled with putrid media here and I've given up nearly all of it, save the occasional read of the news or listen to WGR55 in the car (I mainly commute by other means so I listen to music). I come here for Bills news, honestly. I'm over-educated, analytical, quantitative, and have my own opinions. Why would I turn to someone with a microphone, a bachelor's degree in broadcasting, and a sh!tty attitude to tell me what I can deduce myself? Seriously, why does anyone need to hear the opinion of any of these guys? Who cares. Put it this way, all they did was take class in communication, all their opinions are from reading and seeing the same thing you do. These are not experts is what I am saying. They are no more experts than many of you when it comes to football knowledge.

And when they get into the analytics, it's maddening. Case in point, a few days ago I think, I was with someone's car listening to it and Jeremy White is arguing that he didn't like some stats from PFF. Can't recall which but his argument was totally illogical but also completely typical of those who cherry picks stats that benefit their argument and ignore the ones that run counter to their normative brains. He must have read How to Lie with Statistics. Schopp is just that kid from school who never played sports but read everything all the time and was a total nerdy know-it-all that people ignored, except probably the A/V club. Now he has a bully pulpit and enjoys feeling smart, which isn't hard given the population of callers.

The best thing about WGR over the last few years was when they got rid of Sully! Miserable, middle-aged, middle-class, divorced (shocker he got remarried), white males do not make interesting radio.

WGR had a well-deserved major “faceplant” moment yesterday. They’ve collectively spent the last month overrating a journeyman backup QB who throws very weak interceptable balls and a small “run first, pass second” QB with no starts under his belt (I like Taylor, but I don’t think he should be considered THAT much better than EJ). Not one of those dopes gave EJ a shot to win the starting job and now they are all scrambling after losing credibility given how 100% dismissive they were of Manuel and the people who still liked him best in the competition

The sooner Pegula cuts ties with that station the better because they are more interested in the “groupthink” “mob” mentality than real analysis. They need to have former Bills players mixed in with hosts who know what they’re talking about and can think for themselves. I listen to the “The Fanatic” in Philly over WGR because those hosts are great because they love to talk football and they welcome any and all opinions. I’d rather listen to Eagles football talk than WGR!…LOL
Is it so truly amazing that Rex Ryan still likes the one QB on this team who is big, tall, athletic, clutch and throws the ball with great velocity? Is EJ off a few times? Yes, but would you rather have that or a guy who throws accurate passes all the time which are very slow and easily intercepted?
WGR is a joke IMO.
Edited by 1billsfan

We're saddled with putrid media here and I've given up nearly all of it, save the occasional read of the news or listen to WGR55 in the car (I mainly commute by other means so I listen to music). I come here for Bills news, honestly. I'm over-educated, analytical, quantitative, and have my own opinions. Why would I turn to someone with a microphone, a bachelor's degree in broadcasting, and a sh!tty attitude to tell me what I can deduce myself? Seriously, why does anyone need to hear the opinion of any of these guys? Who cares. Put it this way, all they did was take class in communication, all their opinions are from reading and seeing the same thing you do. These are not experts is what I am saying. They are no more experts than many of you when it comes to football knowledge.

And when they get into the analytics, it's maddening. Case in point, a few days ago I think, I was with someone's car listening to it and Jeremy White is arguing that he didn't like some stats from PFF. Can't recall which but his argument was totally illogical but also completely typical of those who cherry picks stats that benefit their argument and ignore the ones that run counter to their normative brains. He must have read How to Lie with Statistics. Schopp is just that kid from school who never played sports but read everything all the time and was a total nerdy know-it-all that people ignored, except probably the A/V club. Now he has a bully pulpit and enjoys feeling smart, which isn't hard given the population of callers.

The best thing about WGR over the last few years was when they got rid of Sully! Miserable, middle-aged, middle-class, divorced (shocker he got remarried), white males do not make interesting radio.

I got half way through your comment and thought to myself... This guy sounds like one of those marroons that calls in and says your opinion is invalid because you never played sports... THEN 2 SENTENCES LATER YOU SAID IT YOURSELF!!!

It's talking about a game!!! It doesn't need to be so serious and you (collective you) don't need to take it so damned seriously.