Reporter shot and Killed on Live TV in VA

Jesus H. Christ

You mean like the 20,000 laws already on the books? It's nice to know you're retarded about every single issue, not just one.

There are 300,000,000+ people in this country. At least one of them was willing to load a truck with fertilizer and fuel and blow up a building. 19 were willing to give their lives to kill thousands. Your "solutions" are nothing more than a panacea to help the terminally stupid feel better but YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO STOP PEOPLE WHO WANT TO KILL SOMEONE FROM DOING IT.

There's a reason that police only arrest 1% of the criminals in the world while they're committing the actual crime. Try to figure it out, brainiac.

Not enough laws.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's clear we have to do the best we can to take guns away from crazies but it is impossible to eliminate crazies getting guns. It's part of our culture and if anyone says we need to take away all guns could you imagine how things would be for us law abiding citizens against those not so law abiding? They'd be armed and we wouldn't. Not a good feeling.

So what's your idea then? Give everyone (including all the people out there like this guy) guns? Have one big, nation-wide shoot out where only the good guys survive?

Something needs to be fixed. I've already conceded I'm not proposing anything ridiculous like banning all guns. Im trying to have a discussion on this but you guys get way to riled up about your precious guns.

Do you guys have any ideas? Or are you just here to pretend like there isnt a problem?

We haven't really defined the problem all that clearly enough to make any meaningful suggestions. We've established that sometimes innocent people are shot, but that's pretty vague. We haven't established how often it happens; who is doing it, under what circumstances, and with what frequency; how the guns are obtained; or how the gun death rates compare to other causes of death.

We'd be in a much better position to come up with solutions if we knew what the problem was.

So what's your idea then? Give everyone (including all the people out there like this guy) guns? Have one big, nation-wide shoot out where only the good guys survive?

Something needs to be fixed. I've already conceded I'm not proposing anything ridiculous like banning all guns.

Do you guys have any ideas? Or are you just here to pretend like there isnt a problem?

There are plenty of things that need to be fixed, and this one isn't even close to being urgent because we've already "fixed it" 18 billion times and people still get killed. People will always get killed. Gun laws don't get any stricter than they do in Chicago, and yet what happened randomly in Roanoke is what people in Chicago call an early weekend.

It's horrible. It's sad. But it's inevitable. People are going to die and it's going to be horrible and sad.

My suggestion to you is take some gun classes and arm yourself. You reduce the chances of this happening to you and your family dramatically.

There are plenty of things that need to be fixed, and this one isn't even close to being urgent because we've already "fixed it" 18 billion times and people still get killed. People will always get killed. Gun laws don't get any stricter than they do in Chicago, and yet what happened randomly in Roanoke is what people in Chicago call an early weekend.

It's horrible. It's sad. But it's inevitable. People are going to die and it's going to be horrible and sad.

My suggestion to you is take some gun classes and arm yourself. You reduce the chances of this happening to you and your family dramatically.

You know what would help in Chicago. If we required every gang banger criminal to wear a GoPro and upload every murder to social media.

So your only suggestion really is more guns. Thanks, but no thanks.

I hate this.

This always comes up.

Even after school massacres. Some gun pro lobbyist or politician comes up with that brilliant idea.

Suggesting MORE guns at the wrong time. Never fails.

Sure! Im the one that's open to ideas here. What are you proposing the cause is?

This goes way back to more than forty years ago when the first discussions started about increased violence on TV and the effect it had on kids. At the time it seemed to have been alarmist and you couldn't point to conclusive studies and data that proved the harm

And that makes sense because this is something that doesn't manifest in a short period of time, but is generational.

So fast forward to today, and look at how society views violence and how it reacts to it. More importantly, look how the 24 hour news cycle treats these events.

All serious research on mass murderers shows that they're inspired by past actions of others, and w best way to prevent this crap is to stop glorifying the murderers.

This goes way back to more than forty years ago when the first discussions started about increased violence on TV and the effect it had on kids. At the time it seemed to have been alarmist and you couldn't point to conclusive studies and data that proved the harm

And that makes sense because this is something that doesn't manifest in a short period of time, but is generational.

So fast forward to today, and look at how society views violence and how it reacts to it. More importantly, look how the 24 hour news cycle treats these events.

All serious research on mass murderers shows that they're inspired by past actions of others, and w best way to prevent this crap is to stop glorifying the murderers.

While I really dont think violence in movies or video games causes that much violence across the general population, I do think it's ridiculous that TV can show graphic violence, killing, dismembering, etc, but god forbid they show a single female nipple. Cant show people loving each other but we can glorify killing as much as we want.

There's really never a right time. And anyone who thinks there is either owns a gun manufacturing company or is a complete moron.

Gug, you're a good dude, and a pretty smart guy when you want to be, but when you let your emotions get the better of you, you start talking in hyperbolic absolutes.

Nobody's suggesting flooding the streets with guns is a good idea, but it is a net gain when responsible people learn how to properly use a gun and arm themselves. I believe that and I'm not a gun manufacturer.

Edited by Rob's House

While I really dont think violence in movies or video games causes that much violence across the general population, I do think it's ridiculous that TV can show graphic violence, killing, dismembering, etc, but god forbid they show a single female nipple. Cant show people loving each other but we can glorify killing as much as we want.

You don't see it because the change was gradual, but I'd got compare it to the 70s it's a quantum leap. It absolutely affects how society interacts because it is pervasive in the society.

You can argue whether we're better off overall than in the 70s, and I think we're better off overall. But I also don't assume that there isn't a societal cost that comes with "progress"

If people are anti-gun then they're entitled to their opinion, but it irritates me when a situation like this is exploited to advance that agenda. It's not a scientific analysis. It's purely anecdotal and appeals to emotion rather than logic.

Plus, anecdotally this isn't even a good example to use for that. Does anyone honestly believe this guy couldn't have killed all 3 of those people with a crobar or a machete, or by any of a hundred other methods? Sure, the gun makes it easier, but let's be real. It's intellectually dishonest and in poor taste to claim "common sense" gun laws would have saved those people.

Do you think he would have made the effort to kill with other objects? It's just so easy to get a gun and use it.