Dareus unhappy with Bills in contract talks (update:He's ok)

YoloinOhio

What other $100 mm players come on the market after this year. You add some nice players for that money. Maybe rex would rather have a classic nose tackle, for a 3-4, and and extra 70 million for cornerbacks and offensive tackles.

i doubt it. I don't think he will let a DT like Dareus get away. He allows Rex to do so much. It is very difficult to find an elite pass rushing DT.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they can franchise tag him next year and pay him about 12M and then again the year after that for about 14.5 and then again the year after that for 17.25. That's 3 years of time for less than Suh's AAV of 19M. That's how out of whack with reality Suh's contract is.

And doing it that way is totally risk free if Mr. Dareus decides to be an idiot again.

Exactly, extensions often come with a discount too. There's a huge difference between the lions situation and the bills and that does effect value. I think MT really is just upset because he thinks the bills are saying he's not the best at his position with their offer.

One big problem is that the only reason to sign him to an extension is to keep him happy and that doesn't sound like that is going to happen easily . . .

Exactly, extensions often come with a discount too. There's a huge difference between the lions situation and the bills and that does effect value. I think MT really is just upset because he thinks the bills are saying he's not the best at his position with their offer.

One big problem is that the only reason to sign him to an extension is to keep him happy and that doesn't sound like that is going to happen easily . . .

Or the Bills new capologist is VWR.

i suppose it's a concern with any player, but wondering what in particular you have seen from him to make you worried he would be that way?

Didn't he have issues with weight at one point? When he originally came into the league or maybe his second year? I seem to remember something with him.

@ProFootballTalk: Marcell Dareus apparently is forgetting about the franchise tag http://t.co/CxtU8w3mSO

Players despise the franchise tag for good reason. No guarantee except for 1 year money. If they have a serious injury that's all.

They can go into a self preservation mode till they become a FA. Either re-sign him or trade him. Glenn, Gilmore, and Bradham are also at stake here.

i doubt it. I don't think he will let a DT like Dareus get away. He allows Rex to do so much. It is very difficult to find an elite pass rushing DT.

This is where I do get a bit lost. Thought Rex was the defensive genius and his scheme was predicated on shut down corners. If that is the case, why does he need a $15M/year DT?

I am only half serious , but I am starting to wonder more about this.

This is where I do get a bit lost. Thought Rex was the defensive genius and his scheme was predicated on shut down corners. If that is the case, why does he need a $15M/year DT?

I am only half serious , but I am starting to wonder more about this.

I agree, that's why Gilmore is key , and I hate to lose Glenn

It will get done. They don't sound that far apart if the Bills are already over $90 million.

I wonder if even someone as rich as Terry eventually thinks "wow I'm blowing through a LOT of money with both of these teams!"

At least the Bills will make him some money. Not sure about the NHL.

Edited by TheFunPolice

Dareus is entitled to hold out for the largest contract he can get. But he looks childish going this route right off the bat.

It will get done. They don't sound that far apart if the Bills are already over $90 million.

I wonder if even someone as rich as Terry eventually thinks "wow I'm blowing through a LOT of money with both of these teams!"

At least the Bills will make him some money. Not sure about the NHL.

The Sabres make lots of money.

Dareus is entitled to hold out for the largest contract he can get. But he looks childish going this route right off the bat.

They do? It seems like Pegula is pouring an enormous stream of money into these teams.

I know that in the NFL it's almost impossible to lose money. Dareus' contract will just come out of the new TV revenues.

It will eventually get done IMO. They can't trade him for a QB (who is making that trade?) and I would rather not trade him for a high 1st round pick and HOPE they get it right.

Didn't he have issues with weight at one point? When he originally came into the league or maybe his second year? I seem to remember something with him.

He looked huge and moved like he was running in loose sand even before his brother being killed in that season that took him a few months to get going

Yea, if the rumored offer is true it's a ridiculous comment to make (even if it wasn't an ideal structure etc...)

It's like thinking you are a 60k a year employee and pitching a fit about not being wanted after a 58k opening offer. It's not like it wasn't even in the ball park.

He comes across as greedy knowing that the salary cap cannot allow unlimited pay for all good players.

Shows he could care less if taking less could mean a winning team.

I would be ready to trade him now.

@mikerodak

Marcell Dareus: "I want to be a part of the Bills, but this is a business... We're going through negotiations."

Dareus speaking to the group: "I want to be here but at the same time it's a business. A couple words aren't going to make anything change."

Dareus on franchise tag: "If that's what they're considering, there's not much I can do." Says he would sign the tender.

@MatthewFairburn

After Marcell Dareus wrapped up a brief media session Richie Incognito walked by and chimed in with "Pay the man."

‏@mikerodak

Marcell Dareus: "I want to be a part of the Bills, but this is a business... We're going through negotiations."

Dareus speaking to the group: "I want to be here but at the same time it's a business. A couple words aren't going to make anything change."

Dareus on franchise tag: "If that's what they're considering, there's not much I can do." Says he would sign the tender.

@MatthewFairburn

After Marcell Dareus wrapped up a brief media session Richie Incognito walked by and chimed in with "Pay the man."

Thanks Richie. Way to call out the guys that paid you when no one else would.

I hope he plays guard well but I'll probably not be his biggest fan