Breaking down TT, Miller, best plays from PS game 1

YoloinOhio

http://billsmafia.com/2015/08/16/breaking-down-tyrod-taylor-john-miller-and-buffalo-bills-best-plays-from-preseason-opener/

On Friday night the Buffalo Bills hosted the Carolina Panthers in their first preseason contest of the 2015 NFL Season. While they lost the game by a score of 25-24, there was a lot of positives to come from the performances from the first-through-third units on both offense and defense. With several new faces on both sides of the ball, theres serious competition for significant playing time at various positions on each side of the ball.

After watching the game, heres what stood out to me the most.

Good stuff yolo. Encouraging stuff on the OG play and good to see Kujo improving also. RJ definitely looks the part. Hate to say, but it appears Goodwin IS a track star playing football and not vise versa. Yes he can open up the defense, but his ball skills are awful. Karlos Williams is a BEAST!

Interesting that he also used the phrase, "Tyrod Taylor lived up to the hype".

Aside from Bills and Hokie fans almost no one mentions him in the media.

Strange.

Ravens fans know who he is. I've had several tell me they think he can be very good.

Interesting that he also used the phrase, "Tyrod Taylor lived up to the hype".

Aside from Bills and Hokie fans almost no one mentions him in the media.

Strange.

I think the author was talking about the fan hype. And that's fine because I really don't care about the media storylines this time of year. It's all about what I actually see and trying to decipher the coach interviews.

That missed opportunity to Goodwin wasn't an "awful drop." That's a tough catch. He had a step on his man, but Tyrod led him out of bounds. Even if he caught it, he's going out instead of walking into the end zone. I mean, it wasn't a horrible throw, either. Just a little off.

I think the author was talking about the fan hype. And that's fine because I really don't care about the media storylines this time of year. It's all about what I actually see and trying to decipher the coach interviews.

That missed opportunity to Goodwin wasn't an "awful drop." That's a tough catch. He had a step on his man, but Tyrod led him out of bounds. Even if he caught it, he's going out instead of walking into the end zone. I mean, it wasn't a horrible throw, either. Just a little off.

Fan hype. Got it.

I agree that the mainstream media is a waste of time this point in the season.

I think the throw was fine. Someone else mentioned in that Goodwin took a bad line when he beat the defender. I watched the play again and is have to agree. It looks like when he beat him he moved inside more to cut him off so he was about 2 yards from the sideline and the ball was right at the sideline.

Worth noting that Goodwin did make a hell of a move to fake the defender into thinking it was going to be a post route. He put his hand on the inside of the defender and got him to move inside more.

Edited by The Wiz

The second play highlighting Cyril Richardson is a QUANTUM LEAP from last year.

He couldn't find anyone to block in pass pro half the time in 2014; now he's making his initial contact, passing off, and getting outside to help the LT bury the pass rusher making the inside move?

Coaching matters

He couldn't find anyone to block in pass pro half the time in 2014; now he's making his initial contact, passing off, and getting outside to help the LT bury the pass rusher making the inside move?

Coaching matters

just relooking at the push the o line was getting is joyful indeed.

Coaching sure as hell does matter !

looking at you Doug Nate and Pat M. :censored:

Coaching matters

Richardson played well in the game, he was one of the guys that jumped out to me as I watched.

I think the throw was fine. Someone else mentioned in that Goodwin took a bad line when he beat the defender. I watched the play again and is have to agree. It looks like when he beat him he moved inside more to cut him off so he was about 2 yards from the sideline and the ball was right at the sideline.

Worth noting that Goodwin did make a hell of a move to fake the defender into thinking it was going to be a post route. He put his hand on the inside of the defender and got him to move inside more.

Boy I didn't get that at all. Looked to me like he was always two yards away from the sideline as soon as he blew by his guy. It would have been a really good catch. I suppose he could have tracked the ball in the air better which he's usually good at. Surely not a bad ball but not a good one either. Probably equal fault.

I have been a Randall Johnson supporter for some time now.......and while I feel bad for Wynn this is going to open up room for Randal to get more playing time.

I feel that Randal is going to be one of those late round gems

Lets hope so! He is worth a good look.

like i mentioned before> Cut downs will be tough this year.

it was just a few short years ago our LB core was brutal. and now?

Boy I didn't get that at all. Looked to me like he was always two yards away from the sideline as soon as he blew by his guy. It would have been a really good catch. I suppose he could have tracked the ball in the air better which he's usually good at. Surely not a bad ball but not a good one either. Probably equal fault.

I guess saying he should have tracked the ball better is more accurate.. I think the throw was where it needed to be though. When you look at the deep balls that Newton threw to Benjamin, Benjamin was probably a foot away from the sideline. That's typically where those throws down the sideline should be.

Edited by The Wiz

I guess saying he should have tracked the ball better is more accurate.. I think the throw was where it needed to be though. When you look at the deep balls that Newton threw to Benjamin, Benjamin was probably a foot away from the sideline. That's typically where those throws down the sideline should be.

It depends. If the DB is right on the WR the ball needs to be where Newton put it so no one else can get it. When the WR is more than a yard past the DB like Goodwin was, the ball should be closer inside because the room for error is a lot more and it would be easier to throw OB if you're trying to put it right on the sideline.

It depends. If the DB is right on the WR the ball needs to be where Newton put it so no one else can get it. When the WR is more than a yard past the DB like Goodwin was, the ball should be closer inside because the room for error is a lot more and it would be easier to throw OB if you're trying to put it right on the sideline.

I agree, but Taylor made(heh heh) the throw before goodwin beat his guy. As soon as Goodwin made the inside-out move Taylor was in his throwing motion.

I agree, but Taylor made(heh heh) the throw before goodwin beat his guy. As soon as Goodwin made the inside-out move Taylor was in his throwing motion.

Fair enough. It wasn't a bad throw, and it wasn't a clear drop. IMO I blame them both equally without knowing what was supposed to happen on the play. Goodwin could have caught it though, and he could have tracked it a little better. In the post game press conference (or the next day) Rex said something about one was dropped, and I didn't know if he was referring to the Goodwin play or the Deonte Thompson play in the endzone. Both were pretty decent passes and would have been good catches but both guys got two hands on the ball, as well.

Fair enough. It wasn't a bad throw, and it wasn't a clear drop. IMO I blame them both equally without knowing what was supposed to happen on the play. Goodwin could have caught it though, and he could have tracked it a little better. In the post game press conference (or the next day) Rex said something about one was dropped, and I didn't know if he was referring to the Goodwin play or the Deonte Thompson play in the endzone. Both were pretty decent passes and would have been good catches but both guys got two hands on the ball, as well.

I agree. I think the Thompson ball was a much harder ball to catch. That ball was going more OB than Goodwins and he had to make a toe-tap catch will going full speed. Like I said about Goodwin, it looked like he was running straight and then rounded to the sideline to try to make the catch. Though I'm not really concerned about these guys since normally it would be Woods and Sammy trying to make those catches and they are normally money.

Edited by The Wiz

Coaching matters

Absolutely! Granted CK did come into camp out of shape last year. But when CK, Seantrel, Henderson...and even URBIK of all people show marked improvement, you have to assume the coaching and scheme are at least partly responsible

Absolutely! Granted CK did come into camp out of shape last year. But when CK, Seantrel, Henderson...and even URBIK of all people show marked improvement, you have to assume the coaching and scheme are at least partly responsible

Urbik was not bad before Marrone came 'round.