8-16: Bills' Training Camp Practice - 10 AM to 12 PM

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Debatable...although largely agreed upon by NFL executives. I'd still rather have him over Cassel. Cassel will manage the game and play it safe (with this D maybe that is all we need to win). I'm not saying either deserve to start, but as a 3rd string option, I'd prefer Tebow over Cassel. It would require less of an adjustment to the playbook if both EJ and TT went down, and the excitement/unpredictable craziness he brings to the game is fun to watch.

If you want to draw responses to your posts, you have hit on the mother load with suggesting Tebow belongs on an NFL roster as a QB.

It would be silly to cut a player of EJs ability outright, unless it's a locker room distraction or salary cap issue. I don't think Bills are at risk in either of these instances. My guess is that he's traded by the end of preseason.

This is the thing

Lets say that at the end of the day they go with TT as starter and Cassell as backup

- TT is a Mike Vick style qb.......and while we would like to see him for 16 games he is not huge.....and the chance of injury is there

- Cassell has also had his injury issues in the past........so there is a danger there as well

If BOTH qbs go down.....we will be damn happy that the 3rd option would be EJ Manuel.....could do a lot worse.

If EJ is done , then why will he get "the majority of the Browns game" albeit with the 3rd team?

Rex has some plan, we just don't know what it is.

I read that quote differently. I read it as "the majority of the time he will be with the 3's" vs. "he will play the majority of the game." He is CLEARLY 3rd right now. He played well the other day but so did the guys in front of him. EJ needs the other 2 to fall apart over the next few weeks while he excels if he is going to be the guy.

If EJ is done , then why will he get "the majority of the Browns game" albeit with the 3rd team?

Rex has some plan, we just don't know what it is.

It's pretty clear at this point they are focused on developing him more than anything, which is kind of refreshing after the crapfest with Marrone. Edited by Dorkington

I hope you are right.

I've been the biggest EJ honk this training camp but it kind of looks like he won't start. but that's just this fan's opinion. who knows what's really going in in the coaching staff's minds. Great kid but as hard as it is for me to say he had a shot to be more consistent with a clean slate this offseason. He has not taken advantage of his opportunity.

Teams with Franchise QBs have more $$ tied up in one guy than the Bills do in three. $$ not an issue at all.

$$ is not THE issue, but it always has to be considered.....I would love to have Cassel as a backup/mentor, but as another poster pointed out, he'd likely be the highest paid backup in the league. I forget the exact number, but I believe we free up 4 million or so if Cassel is not on the team. Personally, if Cassel isn't starting, I'd rather invest that money in extending one of our key starters.

I read that quote differently. I read it as "the majority of the time he will be with the 3's" vs. "he will play the majority of the game." He is CLEARLY 3rd right now. He played well the other day but so did the guys in front of him. EJ needs the other 2 to fall apart over the next few weeks while he excels if he is going to be the guy.

yet Rex said they are in rotation and don't read too much into it with EJ being with the 3'd

If EJ's the 3rd so be it, At worse I think he should be #2.

If TT starts, he has never played an NFL season. He's not big and he runs a lot. There is a distinct injury factor, regardless of whether he runs smart or doesn't seem to take a lot of hits. In this season, which is playoffs or bust, does the staff want cassel or EJ to be the only backup if they decide to keep two. I'd have to say they would want Cassel unless he craps the bed in the next two games and EJ plays well.

I think there's only one way he's done here. That is by trade; otherwise, he will be in a Bills jersey this fall.

amazes me. its preseason and even after a decent outing against Panthers , its definitively over for EJ and the Bills. Trade for what? a seventh? thats silly. cassel has an injury history and Taylor might get lit up when he is moving the chains.

I am all for Tyrod Btw.

This is the thing

Lets say that at the end of the day they go with TT as starter and Cassell as backup

- TT is a Mike Vick style qb.......and while we would like to see him for 16 games he is not huge.....and the chance of injury is there

- Cassell has also had his injury issues in the past........so there is a danger there as well

If BOTH qbs go down.....we will be damn happy that the 3rd option would be EJ Manuel.....could do a lot worse.

I should read ahead before i post shouldn't I .

lol

Or he needs to show consistent play when he has the majority of the reps.

Is Rex giving the most reps to the starter or is he giving EJ the chance to show something more?.

Here we are again.

I sure hope everyone finds this to be as fun as i do trying t figure out what Rex is doing with these 3.

EJ does not need anyone to fall apart Kirby. He just needs to shine. and thats a much better option for the team anyways. I hope they all progress, even Cassells

Does EJ still have practice squad eligibility? Do #3 emergency QBs count against the roster? Would you keep EJ over Simms?

I thought Simms was not even in the equation per Rex > he said that when he brought him over and i took him at his word.

Simms is not going anywhere but PS. this year.

EJ does not need anyone to fall apart Kirby. He just needs to shine. and thats a much better option for the team anyways. I hope they all progress, even Cassells

This is where we disagree I guess. EJ is 3rd now by most accounts. He played well the other night but so did the other 2. If he is going to close the gap prior to the season he needs to play well while they play poorly. It's like trailing on the back 9 in a golf tournament. Even if you play well you may need the guys in front of you to come back a little if you are going to catch them.

In addition, he is going to need to close that gap quickly if they are going to start getting him reps with the 1's in enough time to be ready. He isn't going to only work with the 3's and then 5 days before the season be declared the starter. If he isn't working with the 1's by the 3rd preseason game he won't be starting by Indy.

Does EJ still have practice squad eligibility? Do #3 emergency QBs count against the roster? Would you keep EJ over Simms?

No, but he would have to clear waivers anyways which would never happen. Someone would try to develop him at least as a backup. Edited by Kirby Jackson

This is where we disagree I guess. EJ is 3rd now by most accounts. He played well the other night but so did the other 2. If he is going to close the gap prior to the season he needs to play well while they play poorly. It's like trailing on the back 9 in a golf tournament. Even if you play well you may need the guys in front of you to come back a little if you are going to catch them.

In addition, he is going to need to close that gap quickly if they are going to start getting him reps with the 1's in enough time to be ready. He isn't going to only work with the 3's and then 5 days before the season be declared the starter. If he isn't working with the 1's by the 3rd preseason game he won't be starting by Indy.

No, but he would have to clear waivers anyways which would never happen. Someone would try to develop him at least as a backup.

I understand the logic. But to wish the others falter is not in my make up.

Would be quite pleased if EJ made it to number two by PS game 3.

Do you think Bills still consider him a project? or will they just wash their hands of him finally?