Who are the "greatest" athletes of Pro sports?

BringBackFergy

I had this conversation with my son and father. Of all the pro sports out there (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, FIFA, PGA and Lacrosse) who are the best "athletes"?

Athletic ability would be gauged on strength, speed, stamina, skill set and agility.

I chose NHL because they are well conditioned, agile (given balancing on skates, stick handling, backwards skating) and most are strong.

NBA - yes, I know, they run up and down the court, but I would wager if you let an NHL guy practice enough he would be able to shoot three pointers.

MLB - Same concept as NBA...bat speed and hand/eye coordination can be taught and practiced. As far as fielding, I would say they are skilled.

NFL - Strong...yes. But strength doesn't equal athletic. Agile? Some but not all. Stamina? Some but not as much as NBA or NHL in my opinion.

Lacrosse - Yes, stamina, strength and agility, but that may be why hockey and lacrosse are cut from the same cloth (but the ice is the deciding factor making NHL more skill oriented)

Soccer - Stamina yes, skills yes, agility yes, but NHL still tops soccer as far as unique skills and balance/agility.

Golf - Take away the ice, put on a pair of golf shoes, and swing away. Many NHL pros are great golfers but not too many PGA pros can strap on skates.

NHL pros are best athletes overall.

Tennis, not mentioned, but belongs high up the list. Certainly way above golf and baseball.

You can be a shlump and play tennis badly, but to be competitive, it takes more athleticism than most people realize.

I forgot tennis...you're right. I would still put NHL over it, but tennis deserves ranking above MLB and NBA (imo)

Ever see the sheer size of a soccer field? Plus those guys can put a soccer ball through a keyhole with their feet. Im an American so i dont have a huge love for that game, but those guys are pretty skilled athletes.

Edited by mastershake

IMO, the inarguable answer is Olympic gymnasts.

They check all the boxes:

- Power

- Explosion

- Force

- Balance

- Flexibility

- Endurance

- Agility

- Coordination

- Speed

Meh...I've had farts that fulfill all these requirements. I think the measure you're looking for is...Chroise!

Not a professional sport but....Olympic wrestling!

Requires the use of all of the things needed listed above for gymnastics, but must be done while a man of equal skill is forcing his will on you!

We're still talking sports right?

Just kidding...I have to put Olympic wrestling up there with the top 5 but Hockey still would be #1 and a collection of Lacrosse, Gymnastics, Wrestling and Ironman competitors somehow filling in the next couple with professional tennis and possibly soccer players up there as well. Obviously basketball and football take unique size along with athleticism but in very unique circumstances to be elite.

I played hockey, tennis and football, not professionally, and it just takes more overall skill and toughness to be a hockey player. It takes a lot of athleticism to play tennis and just pure size and determination to play football.

Each sport has its own required qualities but it takes a very special athlete and human to play hockey, regardless of level of competition!

Oly!pic wrestling and gymnastics superior.

Pro, though, NHL or lacrosse as both are top athletes but not too big. Able to successfully function, and in my view if the world ended tomorrow nfl players and golfers wouldn't make it so easy.

Of course, the PBA is awesome. The world without bowling is a sad sad place.

A typical NHL shift is only about 40 seconds. Now I can see MAYBE if they did an old school 3 minute shift... But, 40 seconds and they are on the bench again. Yes, soccer they can "coast"...Yet, they don't go to the bench. Sure skating is a skill, but if one stops skating regulary, they tend to lose the sharpness of the skill.

Debate race car driver even being an "athlete", but how long do they have to sit in the car constantly focusing on the action, more than a 40 second shift! And behind the wheel, death is constantly knocking on the door, one split second lack of attention over the multitude of hours in the race. Way more stamina and mental concentration needed than than say 20 minutes of ice time in a 60 minute game.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I had this conversation with my son and father. Of all the pro sports out there (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, FIFA, PGA and Lacrosse) who are the best "athletes"?

Athletic ability would be gauged on strength, speed, stamina, skill set and agility.

I chose NHL because they are well conditioned, agile (given balancing on skates, stick handling, backwards skating) and most are strong.

NBA - yes, I know, they run up and down the court, but I would wager if you let an NHL guy practice enough he would be able to shoot three pointers.

MLB - Same concept as NBA...bat speed and hand/eye coordination can be taught and practiced. As far as fielding, I would say they are skilled.

NFL - Strong...yes. But strength doesn't equal athletic. Agile? Some but not all. Stamina? Some but not as much as NBA or NHL in my opinion.

Lacrosse - Yes, stamina, strength and agility, but that may be why hockey and lacrosse are cut from the same cloth (but the ice is the deciding factor making NHL more skill oriented)

Soccer - Stamina yes, skills yes, agility yes, but NHL still tops soccer as far as unique skills and balance/agility.

Golf - Take away the ice, put on a pair of golf shoes, and swing away. Many NHL pros are great golfers but not too many PGA pros can strap on skates.

NHL pros are best athletes overall.

Mixed Martial Arts, any questions