Explosion in Tianjin China

Deranged Rhino

A massive explosion erupted a little while ago in China. Casualties are expected to be massive based on the size of the explosion and the densely populated city, though as of now no media are allowed on the scene.

Source (with what little info there is): http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/12/explosion-chinese-port-city-tianjin?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_BaconReader

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh really? yikes...the original stories were saying more than 50 people were being treated at hospitals...i was hoping that meant that while bad, it wasn't THAT bad

Being called a mass casualty event. Lots more footage of the explosion on the web, none that I'll post because they are too graphic. Terrible news.

oh really? yikes...the original stories were saying more than 50 people were being treated at hospitals...i was hoping that meant that while bad, it wasn't THAT bad

The city has a larger population than Georgia and Alabama combined. All densely packed in. This is going to be a massive event. Some reports are saying over 7,000 casualties but it's all chaos on the ground there, so who knows.

(more video from the ground, closer to the explosion)

https://twitter.com/N_Shvetsov/status/631530195988709378

Apparently the Chinese don't know to hold their phone sideways when taking a video either. Scary stuff there. Was there a much smaller one first that was being responded to before that massive explosion? I can't really tell what the guy was initially filming but did notice those blinking lights from emergency vehicles.

holy crap...is that 1KM radius residential at all or mostly business, it seems to have happened at night...

Edit: They're saying no one survived in a 1km radius of the explosion -- over 2.5 million people live in the Binhai district closest to the factory.

Apparently the Chinese don't know to hold their phone sideways when taking a video either. Scary stuff there. Was there a much smaller one first that was being responded to before that massive explosion? I can't really tell what the guy was initially filming but did notice those blinking lights from emergency vehicles.

The story, as I understand it (and it's changing constantly so don't take this as anything more than hear say) was a gas station exploded first, igniting two oil tanks next to the chemical warehouse. The fire ignited the warehouse killing the first team of firefighters and leading to the second detonation. Fears of chemicals now in the air, fires still raging.

holy crap...is that 1KM radius residential at all or mostly business, it seems to have happened at night...

Hope so. I have no idea. I'm only reporting what I've gathered on the web and twitter. As these things unfold the stories change rapidly, so I'm still hoping for the best. But it looks grim right now.

they said it caused 2 nearly 3.0 magnitude earthquakes. so i am sure it was felt for a long distance

I was living about 20 miles from the Middletown, CT explosion years ago- and my place shook from the shockwave. I wouldn't be surprised if they felt that in Beijing