Explosion in Tianjin China

Deranged Rhino

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buildings collapsing as far as 10km away from the blast site. The explosion was caught by a weather satellite:

That's right in the center of the fourth-largest port in the world.

Japanese markets open in about 2.5 hours. This could be interesting.

300 injured 17 killed

seems way too low. I hope it is that low- but I highly doubt it. Right now it is 8:30 am in Tianjin now. It will be interesting to see the aftermath. And I am also interested in seeing how the markets react

that is certainly 'better' news than yesterday's speculation of 4000+

That figure is going to go way up. Major fires are still burning. One report I read was that there were 2000 migrant workers living in a dorm that got vaporized. The details of this fire will take weeks. What started it? What caused the secondary explosion? What chemicals were released? How many?

Yikes.

That figure is going to go way up. Major fires are still burning. One report I read was that there were 2000 migrant workers living in a dorm that got vaporized. The details of this fire will take weeks. What started it? What caused the secondary explosion? What chemicals were released? How many?

I read a live report "smell overwhelming"

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-33908168

China silences netizens critical of "disgraceful" blast coverage

One user compared the muted coverage to that of the Sichuan earthquake in 2008.

"This reminds me of 2008; do not let the outside world know,"

"Dont let foreigners report"

Others accused the local authorities of hampering international reporting of the incident.

Edited by Pete

China has a woeful record of safety standards. In the four months before the Tianjin explosion there were six major blasts at chemical plants across China,Greenpeace reported.http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/13/tianjin-explosions-china-sends-troops-cleanup

Fumes could cause further chaos

Greenpeace has expressed concerns about the effect of toxic chemicals from the blast on Tianjin's 14 million residents, and says that two of the particularly hazardous substances are known to react violently with water. Rain is forecast for Friday.

Edited by Pete