Bills training camp practice 8/7

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@JoeBuscaglia

That Tyrod Taylor guy is doing pretty well. That, and 6 other observations from today's #Bills practice: http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/7-bills-training-camp-observations-day-7

@JaySkurski

BN Blitz: Who will be the #Bills' QB? Our Day Seven report from St. John Fisher http://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/08/07/who-will-be-the-bills-qb-our-day-seven-report/

damn, was very high on cockrell coming out, disappointed to hear that he's struggling.

Hope EJ can show these good days consistently. Would be nice if it turned into a two way race between EJ and Tyrod. Tyrod's been the most consistent in camp thus far if what we're hearing is accurate.

My eyebrows are officially raised with respect to Taylor. Very much looking forward to reports of Saturday night's scrimmage.

i think it's this:

@mikerodak: Rex Ryan: "Indianapolis may not know who our quarterback is until we play them [Week 1]. We may know, but they may not."

Just be aware. That means the team will have named a starter long before then. Just not publicly.

Just be aware. That means the team will have named a starter long before then. Just not publicly.

I think it would be very hard to do that, especially by the third preseason game, when all the other 1's are set.

@WGR550

"It's a quarterback away from the playoffs." - @ClaytonESPN on this year's #Bills team

@MatthewFairburn

Tyrod Taylor gaining momentum. My observations from Bills camp today with full QB breakdown http://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/index.ssf/2015/08/tyrod_taylor_gains_momentum_heading_into_scrimmage_6_observations_from_day_7_of.html

And only Taylor. Right?

Definitely yeah. It sounds like he's been the best of the bunch the last week or so. Why, have you heard otherwise? Couple that with the fact that he's the most unknown of the three and he has, from all accounts, uncanny scrambling abilities, he definitely makes for the most intriguing story. Hence the raised eyebrows.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

if Easley was always going to make the team, how does it affect Hogan?

I don't think it does...I think the real roster battle, on offense, is going to be decided by whether they keep (a) 6 WRs, (b) 6 RB/FBs, or © 4 TEs. They can only do one of the above in my estimation, unless they only want to keep 8 OLmen.

It effects Hogan (in my mind) because Easely was always going to make the team as a special team ace. No one was counting on him being anything more than an emergency wide out. Hogan, on the other hand, isn't a special team ace but instead was being counted on (and still is) as the team's likely 4th or 5th WR (behind Sammy, Woody, Harvin, Goodwin). If Easely can make plays at the WR position in the pre-season like he has in camp, it becomes a numbers game. He contributes more on ST and is as viable a WR target as Hogan -- thus, why keep Hogan at the expense of an extra TE, RB. or OL?

Buscaglia: "Since the Bills came back from their first day off on Monday, Tyrod Taylor has been the best quarterback on the field every single day — including Friday’s session"

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/7-bills-training-camp-observations-day-7

Combine this with Rex's comment about Indy not knowing which QB they will face until week 1 - but the Bills will know....in my mind, Taylor is the only QB that is worth hiding from Indy if starting. With his running ability, he's the only one Indy may need to game plan a bit for. We get no advantage by hiding identity of Cassell or EJ....

Buscaglia: "Since the Bills came back from their first day off on Monday, Tyrod Taylor has been the best quarterback on the field every single day — including Friday’s session"

http://www.wkbw.com/sports/bills/7-bills-training-camp-observations-day-7

Combine this with Rex's comment about Indy not knowing which QB they will face until week 1 - but the Bills will know....in my mind, Taylor is the only QB that is worth hiding from Indy if starting. With his running ability, he's the only one Indy may need to game plan a bit for. We get no advantage by hiding identity of Cassell or EJ....

Be careful. Merely repeating what all the beat reporters are saying could be interpreted as an anti-EJ post. You will also elicit at least one "yeah well Joe Buscaglia is a hack/never played football" response from your post as well. Fair warning.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

What about Goodwin? And i am also hearing about Deonte Thompson in this camp

Goodwin, again in my mind, is the team's 4th WR. Provided he doesn't get hurt in camp, he's going to run away with that competition between he and Hogan. Easely is a lock, meaning there will be at least 5 WRs kept. There could well be 6 if they keep Hogan too. I just can see them opting to keep another TE, RB or OL over Hogan if Easely can contribute at WR like he (seemingly) has been in camp.

And I'm saying all this from California. I haven't been at camp at all this year (sadly):( So Easely's highlights could just be blips for all I know. I'm completely speculating.

Watch: Simms Long Pass to Davis (0:25)

Watch as Matt Simms finds wide receiver Andre Davis down the right sideline for a big pass play.

Watch: Cassel Touchdown to Gragg (0:27)
Watch as Matt Cassel finds a wide open Chris Gragg for an easy touchdown pass.

Camp Highlight: Taylor Long TD Pass to Woods (0:27)

Watch as Tyrod Taylor finds wide receiver Robert Woods down the left side for a long touchdown pass.

It effects Hogan (in my mind) because Easely was always going to make the team as a special team ace. No one was counting on him being anything more than an emergency wide out. Hogan, on the other hand, isn't a special team ace but instead was being counted on (and still is) as the team's likely 4th or 5th WR (behind Sammy, Woody, Harvin, Goodwin). If Easely can make plays at the WR position in the pre-season like he has in camp, it becomes a numbers game. He contributes more on ST and is as viable a WR target as Hogan -- thus, why keep Hogan at the expense of an extra TE, RB. or OL?

Hogan has been a very strong special teamer for us, is one of the better athletes and route runners on the team, and is coming off a very productive growth year where he really turned a corner. He may also be the hardest worker at his position group. It's hard to envision a scenario in which his roster spot is in any sort of jeopardy. Watkins, Woods, Harvin, Hogan, and Easley are all roster locks. Goodwin and Thigpen are likely battling against each other, and other position groups, to justify their spot as a 6th wideout/kick returner. Goodwin's injury history and his current injury, as well as Thigpen's positional versatility, probably aren't helping him.

Edited by TakeYouToTasker

Goodwin, again in my mind, is the team's 4th WR. Provided he doesn't get hurt in camp, he's going to run away with that competition between he and Hogan. Easely is a lock, meaning there will be at least 5 WRs kept. There could well be 6 if they keep Hogan too. I just can see them opting to keep another TE, RB or OL over Hogan if Easely can contribute at WR like he (seemingly) has been in camp.

And I'm saying all this from California. I haven't been at camp at all this year (sadly) :( So Easely's highlights could just be blips for all I know. I'm completely speculating.

There is none. Hogan is on the team