Arian Foster says "I don't believe in God"

First off...Good for Foster for speaking truthfully about his position. People forget athletes are people to, and often the media (especially in todays society) tries to shape them to be something they are not.

Personally, I don't know why this topic is this long or on the main board.

As far as religion goes...there is nothing more selfish, more arrogant, and more hateful than someone who tries to push their personal religious beliefs on to someone else. How anyone can say which religious beliefs are right or wrong is beyond me, there is no way to know which one is right or if anyone of them are right...thats why its called "beliefs" or "faith" and not "facts" or "truths". Most people trying to cram religious views down peoples throat most often don't even know the real history of religion. People still think the "Devil" and "Hell" as we know it today is biblical...when in actuality it was later modifications that created these versions of lucifer and the fallen angel.

I am spiritual, I have seen things in my life that have shown me there is something bigger out there. I have had people who never met my father nor seen a picture of him, describe him to me and tell me they can see him around me. He was murdered when I was 18 years old, and I didn't even know these people while he was alive. I could go on and on about things I have first hand witnessed or been touched by that allow me to believe there is something more out there.

That being said, the most violent, corrupt, judgmental, and war mongering groups in history are organized religions. People want to impose their PERSONAL beliefs onto others so much that they are willing to rape, murder, and pillage in war over it. "If you don't believe what I believe then I will kill you and your family" kind of mentality. Its all throughout history and in modern day society still. So, for me, I don't believe much in organized religion because its been responsible for literally almost every war, countless death, and terrible corruption and scandals. Its creates society divide more than race, money, power, etc.

The sad part is that most religions have the same core story told differently through generations of being passed down through many forms of society, ethnicity, etc. Why must YOUR version be true? And then people take things like Gay Marriage and make it about religion...Marriage has nothing to do with religion, it was invented to merge estates, nothing more, nothing less. As time went on, people started to make it into a religious ceremony, but its origins have nothing to do with religion. Yet today, all these religious groups feel entitled to say that Gay Marriage should not be allowed because of THEIR personal belief...not to mention, its obnoxiously arrogant to feel entitled to decide what someone else can or can't do when it has no impact on you personally.

So for me, its about being spiritual and not identifying with anyones specific version of the story nor judging someone else for having their beliefs. If people just dealt with their own spirituality as an individual instead of trying to impose those on to other people, there would be almost no war in this world.

Anyway...bravo Foster for being true to your beliefs despite being under a microscope.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope this has been a civil discussion!

I typed up something longer discussing my views on this subject, but it felt inappropriate, so I am deleting it.

God bless.

I had read what you said, and it was great.

Well said Dawg

Ditto to that.

You have to ask yourself, would a just God, an omniscient, omnipotent God allow the Patriots to win so many championships?

He would have to be a Patriot fan if he did, and since he knows what is in the black heart of Kraft and the black heart of Belichick and the black heart of Brady, even though they are all great at their jobs, I would have to say no.

Bill Maher is sure to have Arian on his show

Probably. Maher to a fault is very outward with his beliefs and at times is as annoying as Tebow about it.

As an agnostic, I try not to be in your face about my beliefs. I get a lot of crap from certain people who call an atheist, without understanding my belief. That said, when I coach kids, I use a non-denominational prayer in pregame/pre-meet (volleyball/track) to rally the troops that doesn't use the word god or any prophet that I had picked up from one of my predecessors.

With regards to AF, it is ballsy of him to come out with his beliefs, as it has been the norm for players to praise God, Jesus, or Allah for their successes (or in SJ13's case failures) for the longest time. This is symptomatic of more people in the states identifying less as a member of one faith and as agnostic, atheist, or no faith.

I respect your opinion and I don't want to aggravate you - but just hear me out to hopefully give you something to think about or at least understand how someone on the other side thinks.

God made us in his image - which means perfect and without flaw, so at this time there was no such thing as sin or negatives. The word of God talks about God loving mankind in a very special way in terms of other things he created. It was a perfect time.

His love grew and he actually became jealous for our affection - he knew the only reason we loved him back was because we didn't have the option not to. That's when he had to create the most powerful thing he ever created and that was choice. So because he loved us so much in order to know we loved him back he had to invent the option of not choosing him knowing full well this would create massive issues for eternity. Ever since that moment he had to allow things to play out - including all the consequences that not choosing him has caused. If he just intervened when he wasn't asked to he'd be a fraud and I personally understand his position so clearly.

Our image of God is of a being perfect and without flaw, yet he is capable of becoming jealous?

You have to ask yourself, would a just God, an omniscient, omnipotent God allow the Patriots to win so many championships?

And here's the real heart of it.

I respect your opinion and I don't want to aggravate you - but just hear me out to hopefully give you something to think about or at least understand how someone on the other side thinks.

God made us in his image - which means perfect and without flaw, so at this time there was no such thing as sin or negatives. The word of God talks about God loving mankind in a very special way in terms of other things he created. It was a perfect time.

His love grew and he actually became jealous for our affection - he knew the only reason we loved him back was because we didn't have the option not to. That's when he had to create the most powerful thing he ever created and that was choice. So because he loved us so much in order to know we loved him back he had to invent the option of not choosing him knowing full well this would create massive issues for eternity. Ever since that moment he had to allow things to play out - including all the consequences that not choosing him has caused. If he just intervened when he wasn't asked to he'd be a fraud and I personally understand his position so clearly.

I don't get aggravated. I stick to logical thought. Evolution explains humanity just fine, not some magical mystical being IMO.

It's easy to agree with an atheist. Perhaps if you consulted a Christian for the answers to your question instead of assuming that they can't be logically answered, you might learn something.

If you do, there is one thing I can absolutely assure you; you won't be worse off for seeking the answer. Surely there must be a Christian in your life. And I'm not talking about someone who goes to church on Sunday simply because it seems like a good idea. I'm talking about a follower of Christ. Someone who stays in his word.

Go get some coffee. Present your situation. Start a discussion. See what happens. Nothing to lose.

Wrong. Time and energy would certainly be wasted. I have no more need to consult a Christian on the existence of God than I need to consult someone that believes they've been abducted by aliens on mysteries of the universe. It's a complete logical fallacy that one needs to have a discussion about any religion in order to justify its existence. Not that it's any of your business, but there are people in your life that follow your brand of religion, and even lead discussion groups at their church. There's also people that follow other brands and believe that Jesus Christ was just a man. I'll stick to science, logic and reasoning over any brand of mysticism when it comes down to the realities of the world. While there's 5 major religions in the world, there's a total of over 4,000. To say one is right is to say that the others are wrong, which I find a preposterous concept. More preposterous in fact than the possibility of alien abduction.

I don't get aggravated. I stick to logical thought. Evolution explains humanity just fine, not some magical mystical being IMO.

Wrong. Time and energy would certainly be wasted. I have no more need to consult a Christian on the existence of God than I need to consult someone that believes they've been abducted by aliens on mysteries of the universe. It's a complete logical fallacy that one needs to have a discussion about any religion in order to justify its existence. Not that it's any of your business, but there are people in your life that follow your brand of religion, and even lead discussion groups at their church. There's also people that follow other brands and believe that Jesus Christ was just a man. I'll stick to science, logic and reasoning over any brand of mysticism when it comes down to the realities of the world. While there's 5 major religions in the world, there's a total of over 4,000. To say one is right is to say that the others are wrong, which I find a preposterous concept. More preposterous in fact than the possibility of alien abduction.

:thumbsup:

Wrong. Time and energy would certainly be wasted.

That's all you had to say. If you believe the time and energy required by you to get an answer would be wasted time and energy, then perhaps you shouldn't waste other people's time and energy asking questions you have no interest in having answered.

You know...like...

Why would anyone follow a being that allows so much injustice and pain?

I am reminded of a very funny bit by comedian Emo Philips:

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

"Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."

I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

I believe vampires are the world's greatest golfers, and their curse is that they can never prove it.

You don't think vamps can see in the dark? If not, there are LED balls.

You edited this and still left this mess? God help you....

lmao

That's all you had to say. If you believe the time and energy required by you to get an answer would be wasted time and energy, then perhaps you shouldn't waste other people's time and energy asking questions you have no interest in having answered.

You know...like...

:thumbsup: