GOP DEBATES

In my opinion, he needed to do more than that last night - he needed to start offering specifics, to show that he has the ability to be a true statesman, but he left a lot of people questioning his ability to do so.

Why in the world would he need to do that? He has his morning bullhorn. That's all that he needs. Oh, and the 3AM tweets. That's all.

Ok, maybe an ashtray too

• Replies 965
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the cult of personality with Trump. His hardcore supporters will stay with him, so I wouldn't expect any changes in support from them. However, if you were someone who was open to taking a good look at him and you hadn't already decided that he was your guy going into the debate, then he certainly didn't win hardly any of those people over. If you happened to get on the Trump Bandwagon over the past week or so, my guess is that some of that support has eroded because of this debate. He's been polling at an avg of around 22-23% recently. My guess is in a week that will drop down to around 19%. It wouldn't surprise me though if I was off with that.

I think the beneficiary of Trump's drop most likely will be Cruz. People who like Trump, generally like Cruz.

Rubio did well, he came across as very polished. I would expect maybe a 1-2% increase in his numbers, but more importantly I believe the GOP donor class is where the impact of his successful debate performance will be most felt. My suspicion is that more big GOP $$'s will be coming his way.

Jeb looked ok. My guess is that he may lose some support to Kasich and Rubio.

Christie had a good evening, but he's too damaged to be viable in the GOP primaries.

This is a horse race. Rubio, Kasich, Jeb, Scott Walker are the most viable candidates but I was very impressed with Carly and will begin giving her a more serious look. She's serious, accomplished, fluid and measured. I like that.

Edited by Magox

Why in the world would he need to do that? He has his morning bullhorn. That's all that he needs. Oh, and the 3AM tweets. That's all.

Ok, maybe an ashtray too

I think Trump looked particularly ridiculous last night because he was so eager to get a response, he never responded with anything other heavy swings and a bunch of misses.

You see it in the Rosie O'Donnell comment. She quickly corrected him that, no, that wasn't only about Rosie, and he responded with, "Yes, you're right." He got the laugh, but lost the moment, and now comes away angry with the questioning, which shows a man who embraces misogyny like Clinton and responds with thin-skin like Obama.

Kind of an odd mixture, no?

And it should be noted that if a progressive questioned Trumps public misogyny, everyone would cheer. But someone from Fox did it, and suddenly it's inappropriate.

Otherwise, the entire debate made me feel like I was watching a sequel to Hunger Games.

I think Trump looked particularly ridiculous last night because he was so eager to get a response, he never responded with anything other heavy swings and a bunch of misses.

You see it in the Rosie O'Donnell comment. She quickly corrected him that, no, that wasn't only about Rosie, and he responded with, "Yes, you're right." He got the laugh, but lost the moment, and now comes away angry with the questioning, which shows a man who embraces misogyny like Clinton and responds with thin-skin like Obama.

Kind of an odd mixture, no?

That's the irony. The same people who made a living in the last six years blasting a thin-skinned, intellectual middle-weight, egotist who looks good on camera, are all in with Trump.

That's the irony. The same people who made a living in the last six years blasting a thin-skinned, intellectual middle-weight, egotist who looks good on camera, are all in with Trump.

Obama has armadillo like skin compared to Trump's.

I don't know about that 'looks good on camera' thing. The cameras had a hellacious time getting his hair in focus last night. It's like a reverse mullet, except party on the front and all prison rape on the back.

I haven't seen someone look that ridiculous since SNF went to HDTV broadcasts with Paul Maguire in the box.

Ok, maybe an ashtray too

Whether you agree with them or not, Trump's supporters like him because of his complete lack of respect for convention. They're not really backing him on issues, and despite their apparent zeal, I believe their numbers will now begin to dwindle as they realize that he's mostly just talk.

Whether you agree with them or not, Trump's supporters like him because of his complete lack of respect for convention. They're not really backing him on issues, and despite their apparent zeal, I believe their numbers will now begin to dwindle as they realize that he's mostly just talk.

Just like Christie, who I found very disappointing last night. His bit with Paul was fun, but I can't be critical of Obama's embarrassing inability to accept responsibility for anything, but be okay when Christie's responds to NJ's lackluster economic numbers under his reign with "You should have seen the place when I got there."

He's been there long enough to accept responsibility.

Yes, we love it when someone isn't afraid to mock union folks in public, but that doesn't make you presidential.

Kasich and Fiorina for me. I think she'll crack the Top 10 for the next one.

IMO, Kasich easily won that debate last night and not just because it was in Cleveland. He will be the front runner by the end of the summer.

Just like Christie, who I found very disappointing last night. His bit with Paul was fun, but I can't be critical of Obama's embarrassing inability to accept responsibility for anything, but be okay when Christie's responds to NJ's lackluster economic numbers under his reign with "You should have seen the place when I got there."

Yes, we love it when someone isn't afraid to mock union folks in public, but that doesn't make you presidential.

Bingo.

And yes, Christie doesn't have much of a record in NJ to run on, just a lot of bluster. He and Trump could have a good talk show together.

Those comments followed later by his understanding that America needs a candidate who will tell them the truth made me laugh.

Gee, if I remember correctly that's more $ than Mitt Romney has. I wonder if Hillary has a horse?

I wonder if the bitches on MSNBC would have ripped Jackie Kennedy for being born rich and a debutante.

Bingo.

And yes, Christie doesn't have much of a record in NJ to run on, just a lot of bluster. He and Trump could have a good talk show together.

They should do a remake of 200 Motels and play the Flo and Eddie roles.