Whaley admits what we've suspected - Bills in QB Purgatory

Even if we are....don't say it !!

What a confidence builder !

if you listen to the interview, he was talking about the draft position wrt where they think they will be picking and how that relates to drafting a future franchise QB. It actually was said as a confidence builder for the team, as he seems to feel they will be drafting relatively low again.

He wasn't referring to the current team's QB situation as "purgatory"...

Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you listen to the interview, he was talking about the draft position wrt where they think they will be picking and how that relates to drafting a future franchise QB. It actually was said as a confidence builder for the team, as he seems to feel they will be drafting relatively low again.

keep fighting the good fight.

Some people will just refuse to look at it that way, though.

Who said that?

Every year we bring in some garbage QB out of desperation and there's always a half dozen threads about it and how it could work out for us. It's practically an annual tradition at this point (example). If you need more enlightenment, feel free to search the archives for names like "Leinart" and "Vince Young."

Let's remember that he did, in fact, bring in a guy that ended up going 7-5 as a starter...was that a good idea?

I look forward to reading the responses to this.

Every year we bring in some garbage QB out of desperation and there's always a half dozen threads about it and how it could work out for us. It's practically an annual tradition at this point (example). If you need more enlightenment, feel free to search the archives for names like "Leinart" and "Vince Young."

Did you actually read the thread you linked to, or recognize the person that started it (who has now been banned from either his 3rd or 4th username on this forum)? That's supposed to be some shining example of Bills' fans' mindset?

I look forward to reading the responses to this.

Shame...I was looking forward to your response.

Shame...I was looking forward to your response.

It was a good idea. I liked Orton. But if the bar is set so low that a 12 game stint from a journeyman QB is lauded as some sort of success, then I don't really know what else to say. My criticism is directed more at the circumstances that lead up to having to make these late August desperation moves year after year.

There's more than a few people here that think Kyle Orton is the Antichrist - that's why I said I'm looking forward to the reactions.

It was a good idea. I liked Orton. But if the bar is set so low that a 12 game stint from a journeyman QB is lauded as some sort of success, then I don't really know what else to say. My criticism is directed more at the circumstances that lead up to having to make these late August desperation moves year after year.

There's more than a few people here that think Kyle Orton is the Antichrist - that's why I said I'm looking forward to the reactions.

Do you not see the contradictory positions that you're taking here?

You're criticizing Whaley for bringing in these street QBs when one of them, in fact, went 7-5 as the team's starter last year.

As I've asked before in this thread: what would your plan have been--keeping in mind that Whaley began to have real say in the process starting with Brandon taking the reigns in 2013?

His exact words!

"Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley said Wednesday that the Bills are "almost in quarterback purgatory" because they do not have a franchise quarterback and are unlikely to pick near the top of the draft in coming years."

The righteous indignation over the perceived idea that someone wants the current GM gone or fired is getting to ridiculous proportions. Its like someone shot your dogs or something. All I've ever mentioned was getting the man some help in the form of a senior adviser, and really nothing more. He really does need help with the offense IMO.

This thread wouldn't exist if the team already had their franchise QB. With Whaley basically acknowledging that EJ isn't it, and hence the discussion of this topic.

His exact words!

"Buffalo Bills general manager Doug Whaley said Wednesday that the Bills are "almost in quarterback purgatory" because they do not have a franchise quarterback and are unlikely to pick near the top of the draft in coming years."

The righteous indignation over the perceived idea that someone wants the current GM gone or fired is getting to ridiculous proportions. Its like someone shot your dogs or something. All I've ever mentioned was getting the man some help in the form of a senior adviser, and really nothing more. He really does need help with the offense IMO.

This thread wouldn't exist if the team already had their franchise QB. With Whaley basically acknowledging that EJ isn't it, and hence the discussion of this topic.

i know what he said, it's exactly what I said.

His exact words!

In the last year he has added: Incognito, Miller, Harvin, Clay, McCoy, Felton, Cassel & Taylor. That is a phenomenal offseason on that side of the ball. Everyone wants a QB, but if there isn't one there you can just invent him. Whaley is doing a great job since taking the reigns. They will have another chance at a franchise QB next year in a good QB draft.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

In the last year he has added: Incognito, Miller, Harvin, Clay, McCoy, Felton, Cassel & Taylor. That is a phenomenal offseason on that side of the ball. Everyone wants a QB, but if there isn't one there you can just invent him. Whaley is doing a great job since taking the reigns. They will have another chance at a franchise QB next year in a good QB draft.

Kirby, go back and look at that first off season with no QB coach for a rookie QB, and Colin Brown / Doug Legursky to replace Levitre. Then Erik Pears at RG, really? Unmitigated disasters.

The O line still isn't totally solidified after three off seasons, as we don't know just yet if either Incognito or Miller will be up to the task of becoming solid starters. Not to mention just how bad the RT situation still looks. Henderson will need to improve drastically to show competent play.

Right now everything looks great on paper, and we will see very soon how well this years off season went. Aug 14th Carolina at Buffalo to start the pre season.

Those are telling stats. Almost 2:1 pass/run. Is this the proper way to develop a "young" QB?? Brent Axe made a statement in an article about how Marrone's ego drove him to bench EJ in order to show the FO who was in control of the football team. I'm beginning to wonder if Marrone had an "Axe" to grind with Whaley? If you look into many of the moves of Marrone, from not playing Mike Williams/ Kraig Urbik, drastically changing the play calling and his early dispute with Robert Woods/Jerry Hughes, if there is any validity in Brent's statement. Marrone had to know he was in a win-win situation with the opt out clause.

It really was a crazy way to try and develop a second year player with only 12 game starts, and I for one was glad they benched EJ before he ended up being completely ruined in Hackett's sudden pass happy offense. Kinda surprised Orton managed to survive the year behind that godawful line.

There was a report that before he quit Marrone asked for more money and an extension and both were granted. He also asked for more power over personnel decisions and that was denied. In the end I believe that Marrone lost a power struggle with Whaley and ultimately that is why he walked away.

His exact words!

You have the 4 words that you are quoting correct. You are just missing his other 100+ words, and getting their meaning and context completely incorrect.

Edited by DrDareustein

People forget that their team-building philosophy revolved around the 3 phases of the game and they would address those phases in this order: defense, special teams, and offense. This was talked about in a Doug Marrone interview last year, I think.

We're in the 3rd year of the rebuild, which is dominated by offensive acquisitions, which we've seen, and it looks like it's all coming together. The defense is amazing. The ST was great last year, and the offense has a ton of firepower. Everyone believes this is a playoff team, besides the QB position. Either EJ/Tyrod makes the step to franchise status in this third year or they draft another guy (in what looks like a great QB class), who'll step onto a very talented team.

Do you not see the contradictory positions that you're taking here?

You're criticizing Whaley for bringing in these street QBs when one of them, in fact, went 7-5 as the team's starter last year.

It's only contradictory if you believe all street QBs are created equal. Orton was serviceable. He commanded a ~$5.5M salary. He was a bandaid. QBs like Palmer and Leinart are complete Hail Marys and moves like that deserve to be mocked. But again, I'm criticizing the circumstances that lead up to making these moves.

As I've asked before in this thread: what would your plan have been--keeping in mind that Whaley began to have real say in the process starting with Brandon taking the reigns in 2013?

Obviously you take a more aggressive approach to drafting a QB. Do you want specifics? That's a slippery slope. Do you want to hear "draft Beckham and trade back into the 1st for Bridgewater" again?

Instead, how about I give you an example of a franchise that takes an aggressive approach to the QB position? Our dear friends, the Patriots. They have one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, and yet, year in and year out, they draft more QBs. Not always late round picks either, mind you. We are talking 2nd (Garoppolo) and 3rd round picks (Mallet, O'Connell). This is not from a team that has a question mark at the position - they already have a HOF QB! It's an organization that clearly understands the value of the position and acts accordingly. By comparison we are like the timid kid that sits in the back of the class and is afraid to raise his hand.

This franchise is allergic to drafting QBs. (and no, this doesn't mean we should draft a QB in the 1st round every year)

It's only contradictory if you believe all street QBs are created equal. Orton was serviceable. He commanded a ~$5.5M salary. He was a bandaid. QBs like Palmer and Leinart are complete Hail Marys and moves like that deserve to be mocked. But again, I'm criticizing the circumstances that lead up to making these moves.

Obviously you take a more aggressive approach to drafting a QB. Do you want specifics? That's a slippery slope. Do you want to hear "draft Beckham and trade back into the 1st for Bridgewater" again?

Instead, how about I give you an example of a franchise that takes an aggressive approach to the QB position? Our dear friends, the Patriots. They have one of the greatest QBs to ever play the game, and yet, year in and year out, they draft more QBs. Not always late round picks either, mind you. We are talking 2nd (Garoppolo) and 3rd round picks (Mallet, O'Connell). This is not from a team that has a question mark at the position - they already have a HOF QB! It's an organization that clearly understands the value of the position and acts accordingly. By comparison we are like the timid kid that sits in the back of the class and is afraid to raise his hand.

This franchise is allergic to drafting QBs. (and no, this doesn't mean we should draft a QB in the 1st round every year)

So we're now criticizing Whaley for not taking a QB in 2014? He should've disregarded that EJ looked competent as a rookie and drafted Bridgewater anyway, trading up to get him?

That's one theory I suppose...not one that I think many NFL GMs would agree with.

As to NE, yes, they drafted a bunch of mid-round QBs, and I agree with that approach as far as finding a developmental guy; I wouldn't be counting on it to get a starter, and neither should Whaley. He made it clear that his developmental guy was Taylor, and I'm not sure he was wrong to do so.

You have the 4 words that you are quoting correct. You are just missing his other 100+ words, and getting their meaning and context completely incorrect.

Forget it doc....he either doesnt understand or he simply doesnt want to

And of Bekhem ends up not being a good WR? You know he is a pretty damn small WR right?

I liked Bridgewater.......what players would not be on the roster with the trade up

Grapolalo.....no sure thing....Mallett....no sure thing.......

You are giving examples that have not been proven to be correct......yet

People forget that their team-building philosophy revolved around the 3 phases of the game and they would address those phases in this order: defense, special teams, and offense. This was talked about in a Doug Marrone interview last year, I think.

We're in the 3rd year of the rebuild, which is dominated by offensive acquisitions, which we've seen, and it looks like it's all coming together. The defense is amazing. The ST was great last year, and the offense has a ton of firepower. Everyone believes this is a playoff team, besides the QB position. Either EJ/Tyrod makes the step to franchise status in this third year or they draft another guy (in what looks like a great QB class), who'll step onto a very talented team.

Exactly!! How many teams wouldn't trade rosters with the Bills (QB aside). Basically, you tell them you can keep your QB and would you rather have our 52 players or you 52 players?" Off the top of my head Seattle may be the only team that wouldn't make that deal.