8/5: Doug Whaley on WGR

8-5: DOUG WHALEY AT BILLS' CAMP ON WGR (16:30)

@WGR550

Whaley says the play of Ron Darby and John Miller at camp has impressed him

Whaley says it is "hard to tell right now" how long Leodis McKelvin will be out

Whaley on Cyrus Kouandjio: He's taken that step. A lot of guys take a major step from year 1 to year 2"

Whaley on QB competition: "There's been some good things, there's been some things we have to improve on"

Whaley: "Naturally, the defense is going to be ahead of the offense and this defense is incredible. I'm going reserve judgement"

Whaley: "The preseason games are going to be a great evaluator (of the QBs). I do see progress every day"

Whaley: "We are almost in quarterback purgatory. We're good enough that we won't be picking 1st or 2nd overall"

Whaley on EJ: "He's farther along this year than he was last year.... we want to see a step. Will it be the ultimate step? That's up to him"

Whaley says Dareus and the Bills have exchanged proposals but a deal this large takes some time

I love the "QB purgatory" line -- which is really where they've been for a long time. Never quite bad enough to get a top prospect. The one year they might have had their guy (Cam Newton) they had to "settle" for Dareus.

I love the "QB purgatory" line -- which is really where they've been for a long time. Never quite bad enough to get a top prospect. The one year they might have had their guy (Cam Newton) they had to "settle" for Dareus.

Ha, and if IIRC, it took a while before many on here came to grips he wasn't a bust!!

On an unrelated note, our picks in rounds 1-3 were Dareus, A.Willaims and K.Sheppard. Figuring that Sheppard was flipped for Hughes straight up. Holy crap!! Not a bad day at the office.

Edited by stony

If this was discussed elsewhere, I apologize, but this article from NFL.com added this commentary from his interview:

"We are almost in quarterback purgatory. We're good enough that we won't be picking 1st or 2nd overall," he told WGR Radio on Wednesday.

Whaley isn't wrong.

The current quarterback battle between Matt Cassel, Tyrod Taylorand EJ Manuel is going terribly by every account we've heard thus far.

I've been reading and watching a bit of the training camp stuff, and it hasn't been my impression that the QB gig is 'terrible by every account.'

Have I been reading and watching the wrong stuff?

If this was discussed elsewhere, I apologize, but this article from NFL.com added this commentary from his interview:

I've been reading and watching a bit of the training camp stuff, and it hasn't been my impression that the QB gig is 'terrible by every account.'

No, it's being skewed that way by local media which is where the national media is going to get their info from

Hyperbole sells!

That said we could have had Andy Dalton and/or Colin Kaepernick over Aaron Williams. Both have shown they can be average NFL QBs and seems all we need with this defense. Of course the question would be would this defense be as good as it is now without Aaron Williams? Nope but think a Dalton/Kaepernick bring more to the offense then the lost of Williams would contribute to the defense. That said if we had a Dalton or Kaepernick we might not have had the ap space to bring back Hughes and/or add a Harvin/McCoy because of the cap space. Honestly the way the Bills have parlayed this no franchise QB roster is quite good. Will it ever be good enough to win a Super Bowl? Who knows but here's to hoping EJ/Cassel or Tyrod can prove to be another Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer. If not then we could see Christian Heckenburg the next QB we pony our dreams on next year.

Edited by The Jokeman

That said we could have had Andy Dalton and/or Colin Kaepernick over Aaron Williams. Both have shown they can be average NFL QBs and seems all we need with this defense. Of course the question would be would this defense be as good as it is now without Aaron Williams? Nope but think a Dalton/Kaepernick bring more to the offense then the lost of Williams would contribute to the defense.

Neither of those guys were considered "franchise" but you're right, the Bills didn't even take any 2nd or 3rd round shots at guys.

That said we could have had Andy Dalton and/or Colin Kaepernick over Aaron Williams. Both have shown they can be average NFL QBs and seems all we need with this defense. Of course the question would be would this defense be as good as it is now without Aaron Williams? Nope but think a Dalton/Kaepernick bring more to the offense then the lost of Williams would contribute to the defense. That said if we had a Dalton or Kaepernick we might not have had the ap space to bring back Hughes and/or add a Harvin/McCoy because of the cap space. Honestly the way the Bills have parlayed this no franchise QB roster is quite good. Qill it ever be good enough to win a Super Bowl? Who knows but here's to hoping EJ/Cassel or Tyrod can prove to be another Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer.

Not for nothing, but if the Bengals don't do something serious this year you might have a shot at getting Dalton next year.

Neither of those guys were considered "franchise" but you're right, the Bills didn't even take any 2nd or 3rd round shots at guys.

I wouldn't call Eli Manning a better player than the other two yet why is Eli considered a better?Simple put because of his Super Bowls. Why'd Eli win two Super Bowls? I think because the recently run Giants are a better run "franchise" than the Bengals and/or 49ers.

I wouldn't call Eli Manning a better player than the other two yet why is Eli considered a better?Simple put because of his Super Bowls. Why'd Eli win two Super Bowls? I think because the recently run Giants are a better run "franchise" than the Bengals and/or 49ers.

Eli Manning is clearly a better player than either two.

Eli Manning is clearly a better player than either two.

I think Eli might be one of the best clutch QBs of the modern era similar to Elway in that sense but to me Elway was the most complete QB ever. Does that make Eli a better QB than his brother? Let the debate begin. Or here's another debate, if the Bills had Warren Moon instead of Kelly in the Super Bowl run teams would they had the same success? Hard to say but part of me says yes as think Thurman Thomas not Kelly was the driver of the K-Gun offense. Also that defense didn't always get the credit it deserved as had we run a safer ball controlled offense I think we could taken at least maybe two of the Super Bowls.

That said we could have had Andy Dalton and/or Colin Kaepernick over Aaron Williams. Both have shown they can be average NFL QBs and seems all we need with this defense. Of course the question would be would this defense be as good as it is now without Aaron Williams? Nope but think a Dalton/Kaepernick bring more to the offense then the lost of Williams would contribute to the defense. That said if we had a Dalton or Kaepernick we might not have had the ap space to bring back Hughes and/or add a Harvin/McCoy because of the cap space. Honestly the way the Bills have parlayed this no franchise QB roster is quite good. Will it ever be good enough to win a Super Bowl? Who knows but here's to hoping EJ/Cassel or Tyrod can prove to be another Brad Johnson or Trent Dilfer. If not then we could see Christian Heckenburg the next QB we pony our dreams on next year.

Dalton and kaepernick have also received much better coaching than would have been provided by our previous regimes, they wouldn't have had a chance to be average here.