Who will start at QB - Training Camp Edition

Who will start at QB?  

145 members have voted

1. 1. Who will start at QB opening day?

I haven't voted but the decision by the coaches to keep Cassel running with the ones each day (while rotating EJ and TT) is pretty telling IMO. I think it signals neither EJ nor TT have taken a significant step forward and the coaches want to make sure Cassel develops chemistry with the starters by working with them regularly.

I'm extremely disappointed in this development because having the immobile Cassel behind center probably removes a decent amount of Roman's playbook -- but it is what it is.

If EJ or TT are going to make the decision difficult for the coaches, they'll really need to show something in the preseason games.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who would you really prefer?

a 10th yr Meh

a 4th yr Meh

a 3rdyr Meh

I haven't voted but the decision by the coaches to keep Cassel running with the ones each day (while rotating EJ and TT) is pretty telling IMO. I think it signals neither EJ nor TT have taken a significant step forward and the coaches want to make sure Cassel develops chemistry with the starters by working with them regularly.

I'm extremely disappointed in this development because having the immobile Cassel behind center probably removes a decent amount of Roman's playbook -- but it is what it is.

If EJ or TT are going to make the decision difficult for the coaches, they'll really need to show something in the preseason games.

eball. I linked a blog / article that explained Rex's reasoning.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Top-3-things-you-need-to-know-from-Day-3-at-Bills-Camp/580c40f2-b903-45d4-867c-e6d611bcc31b

Ryan explained that he and his offensive staff believe Cassel is a veteran that knows what he’s doing, while Taylor and Manuel can be more effectively developed by getting them additional work with the second and third team units.

Tyrod will get his equal turns at the one spot and so will EJ, so we’re putting them there, but when we go to running some other units they go down with the threes because they’re younger and are going to be with some of these younger guys. We think that’s the best way to develop these young quarterbacks.”

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

I haven't been to camp yet, but my sons tell me Tyrod looked the best to them so far for both days this past weekend that's what I voted. Too close to call I'd say at this point being so early. What they said was that all seem to be having problems with the timing routes, which is no surprise being early. Maybe whoever works that out best ends up starting.

Edited by CodeMonkey

eball. I linked a blog / article that explained Rex's reasoning.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-1/Top-3-things-you-need-to-know-from-Day-3-at-Bills-Camp/580c40f2-b903-45d4-867c-e6d611bcc31b

Ryan explained that he and his offensive staff believe Cassel is a veteran that knows what he’s doing, while Taylor and Manuel can be more effectively developed by getting them additional work with the second and third team units.

Tyrod will get his equal turns at the one spot and so will EJ, so we’re putting them there, but when we go to running some other units they go down with the threes because they’re younger and are going to be with some of these younger guys. We think that’s the best way to develop these young quarterbacks.”

Yes, I had already read that. Doesn't change my opinion -- I'm not going to believe everything Rex tells the press, and neither should you.

Edited by eball

Yes, I had already read that. Doesn't change my opinion -- I'm not going to believe everything Rex tells the press, and neither should you.

I think I am with you. There isn't enough time to "develop" the young guys when it relates to who is going to start the season in 5 weeks. If EJ doesn't get the 1st team snaps tonight, and Cassel is back with the 1s, I think it is Cassel's job to lose. This is a business, and if he has 4 straight days with the 1s that means he is considered QB1. JMO.

I still think Taylor has a shot to win the job because he is a playmaker. If he starts consistently hitting short and intermediate routes, he will be in line to start. I know EJ has thrown the best deep ball, but that isn't a huge part of this offense. IMO.

Edited by YoloinOhio

In the world of strange things happening, Matt Simms. He's kind of like Taylor - has never had a real shot at being a starter.

Strong arm, smart, confident, and probably the most accurate of the bunch when it comes to game time.

I think I am with you. There isn't enough time to "develop" the young guys when it relates to who is going to start the season in 5 weeks. If EJ doesn't get the 1st team snaps tonight, and Cassel is back with the 1s, I think it is Cassel's job to lose. This is a business, and if he has 4 straight days with the 1s that means he is considered QB1. JMO.

I still think Taylor has a shot to win the job because he is a playmaker. If he starts consistently hitting short and intermediate routes, he will be in line to start. I know EJ has thrown the best deep ball, but that isn't a huge part of this offense. IMO.

It would not surprise me at all if Cassel was at least penciled in as the one a long time ago. In fact we all kind of assumed it early on. He is a veteran, been there done that, etc. That said, I think it is far from over. We do not know what Ryan and Roman are really thinking, or what they are really trying to accomplish with either EJ or Tyrod. I suspect they are looking for one of those two guys to step up and take it away.

Personally, I think Taylor is probably the least likely to win the job outright. Of the three of them, he is the one who scares me the most. I just find it hard to believe, given his lack of NFL game experience, that he could be relied on to perform consistently when the bullets start flying. Run yes - make the right reads, stay in the pocket long enough for a play to develop, not play like his hair is on fire - I would be surprised but I guess you never know.

Wasn't that only against air?

Most of the comments about how bad the 3 have looked in 7-on-7 and 11-on-11

Yeah but its also pretty clear at the moment they are getting back into the groove of things, working on timing, and installing a new system. Until I see some pre-season action, I'm probably not changing my EJ vote based on "tossing the ball around" in practice. It seems like EJ got the "nod" as being ahead early... then Taylor... and now it seems Cassel? I dunno...

I'm just gonna be over here shrugging it off until the season, I'm already tired of the constant doom feeling :D

Prediction injury or prediction bench?

Either one. He's brittle and meh. Good enough to guide us along as a placeholder, but at some point being outplayed by opposing QBs would do it, too. I think Taylor will probably beat out Manuel, and if so the fans will be screaming for a switch if Cassel can't put enough points on the board.