Bills need to back up "circus" off-season

We knew that when the Rex hire took place, that the ballyhoo of bolstering and meaningless guarantees would follow. It comes with Rex's gimmick he carried in New York.

But everything that's followed since is something that die-hard Bills fans and their under-the-radar, blue collar low-profile lifestyles are unaccustomed to.

Many Bills fans over the years, especially during this decade and a half playoff drought (myself included) have been discouraged of the lack of media attention on our team. In previous years, any time you tuned in to NFL Network or ESPN or otherwise, it was always a Patriot/ Cowboy/ Jets lovefest. Where was talk of our team? It seemed like nobody gave the Bills any attention or recognition of any kind.

The reason: Probably because, even in those handful of years that we showed promise after the first month of those given seasons (see 2003, 2008, 2011, 2014..forgive me if I'm leaving any years out), it was as if the media knew how this movie had ended, or maybe it was because Buffalo was so far under the radar geographicaly. Either way, the media was justified after week 17 of any given year, as much as we hated to admit it.

Now, before you blast this post with the usual, unoriginal "who cares what the media thinks of the Bills"...admit it...we all care, even if it's a little bit.

We're all sick of hearing about the Patriots, Belichick, Brady and Drunk Bobby Kraft year in and year out.

But this year's different. The Bills have wrapped up year 15 of their playoff drought. The NFL'S longest. And yet, with the influx of a head coach, who already has a reputation of not putting his money where his mouth is and piles on with decorating his pick-up truck in bills colors, and wears Super bowl XXV Thurman Thomas jerseys to scouting combines, constantly taking jabs at a franchise that he barely can even have bragging rights against (NE), combined with the trade that sent a promising, albeit injury proned linebacker for a game changing, albeit horny partyguy what apparently can't use a hatchback cartoon Buffalo logo that may or may not be farting to lure drinking- aged girls.

We've also acquired a talented, game changing WR in Percy Garvin, whose known primarily as a locker room cancer and Brett Favre's post-game "Pants on the Ground" reference.

In the midst of all this, the Bills are front page news once again. While I'm hoping, as we all are, that this talented group can finally get us over the hump, this biggest fear of this fan is that who's behind center, may ultimately make us a laughing stock. The QB issue is so questionable, in fact, that it makes this fan wish that the media would once again treat us as an afterthought.

But, in Rex we trust. We have no choice...

GO BILLS!!!

Well, you're entitled to your opinion, and frankly I don't lose sleep over the networks talking endlessly about the Boys, Patriots, Denver, or Seattle; paying lip-service to the Bills, and many other team, by the way, just seems all to do about nothing. What I care about is winning, and your comments about EJ, seems you're paying more attention to the medias opinion of him, and jumping on board, but the facts suggest an entirely different picture. Kid is ok in the 14 games he's played, average, or above average in many categories for similar rookies and second year players, and had probably one of the most talent defunct head coaches one could imagine his first two years!

With good coaching, which I suspect he's now getting in Roman, I expect to see an major improvement, and if not, well there you have it. I don't care who wins the starting job, I just want the best guy to win, and perform. The media will follow once we start showing something, until then, expect to turn on the networks and hear all day about Brady, Manning, and Romo..

Tim-

I wish Rex would tone down the media hype he is creating (Sky diving, partying at the Big Tree, the truck, etc).

This stuff seems to be taking away from the main objective - tough & smart coach to win football games!

There is too much fluff & feel-good stuff going on for me. Can't wait for the season to start, so Rex can put his money where his TV smile is....

there are hundreds, maybe thousands of media outlets all looking for fresh content.

they will talk about all 32 teams whether good or bad ad nauseum.

i disagree with your "circus" comment about the current off season.

rex is a good coach, we have a good team, but we have crap for qb's, which is on management past and current.

sit back and enjoy the ride, this will be the most fun season in about 10 years.

Lets see...

Most years the Bills did little or nothing and people complain that the team won't take chances to improve.

So they do exactly that, sign every free agent, sign top name coaches, and now that's a problem?

:doh:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

We knew that when the Rex hire took place, that the ballyhoo of bolstering and meaningless guarantees would follow. It comes with Rex's gimmick he carried in New York.

But everything that's followed since is something that die-hard Bills fans and their under-the-radar, blue collar low-profile lifestyles are unaccustomed to.

Many Bills fans over the years, especially during this decade and a half playoff drought (myself included) have been discouraged of the lack of media attention on our team. In previous years, any time you tuned in to NFL Network or ESPN or otherwise, it was always a Patriot/ Cowboy/ Jets lovefest. Where was talk of our team? It seemed like nobody gave the Bills any attention or recognition of any kind.

The reason: Probably because, even in those handful of years that we showed promise after the first month of those given seasons (see 2003, 2008, 2011, 2014..forgive me if I'm leaving any years out), it was as if the media knew how this movie had ended, or maybe it was because Buffalo was so far under the radar geographicaly. Either way, the media was justified after week 17 of any given year, as much as we hated to admit it.

Now, before you blast this post with the usual, unoriginal "who cares what the media thinks of the Bills"...admit it...we all care, even if it's a little bit.

We're all sick of hearing about the Patriots, Belichick, Brady and Drunk Bobby Kraft year in and year out.

But this year's different. The Bills have wrapped up year 15 of their playoff drought. The NFL'S longest. And yet, with the influx of a head coach, who already has a reputation of not putting his money where his mouth is and piles on with decorating his pick-up truck in bills colors, and wears Super bowl XXV Thurman Thomas jerseys to scouting combines, constantly taking jabs at a franchise that he barely can even have bragging rights against (NE), combined with the trade that sent a promising, albeit injury proned linebacker for a game changing, albeit horny partyguy what apparently can't use a hatchback cartoon Buffalo logo that may or may not be farting to lure drinking- aged girls.

We've also acquired a talented, game changing WR in Percy Garvin, whose known primarily as a locker room cancer and Brett Favre's post-game "Pants on the Ground" reference.

In the midst of all this, the Bills are front page news once again. While I'm hoping, as we all are, that this talented group can finally get us over the hump, this biggest fear of this fan is that who's behind center, may ultimately make us a laughing stock. The QB issue is so questionable, in fact, that it makes this fan wish that the media would once again treat us as an afterthought.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm struggling to figure out what the OP had to do with the subject line in all this?

I kind of gather you don't like the Rex hire and you think the media should talk about the Bills even if they suck, is that it?

GO BILLS!!!

Percy Garvin? Really? Man, offseason is slow

Edited by 8and8Forever

Rex gets us to the playoffs in 2015, he would be lauded as on par with Marv.

In 2016 he doesnt get us to the playoffs... Every Bills fan will bring out their respective pitch fork/torch combo

Completely agree, Normally you carry a pitchfork or a torch, but if that happens you'll have to carry both!

To the OP:

I'm sorry, but your post seems a little bit whiney, and paranoid. How can you expect to improve an ailing team without garnering media attention? Only losing teams fly under the radar. And, winning doesn't happen by accident. You have to make a lot of noise first, and pundits are going to start paying attention. If we fall short, we keep trying. Eventually, we will start winning, and all the people who are "laughing" (no one is laughing at a team trying to win, btw) will start respecting.

Think of it like the homely, book-nerd girl at the prom, who lets her hair down, and takes her glasses off, and everybody realizes she is totally hot. Just try not to be her even nerdier friend who says, "Oh my God!, What are you doing??? Everyone's going to laugh at you..."

We've been the "nice guy loser" for so long, I don't mind a few knuckleheads if it means playoffs at this point.

+1.. my post from another thread..

"During the last 15 years, the Bills have built themselves a real "Mr. Niceguy" club that they tried to call a football team. It's time for some nasty on the field. I would much rather be reading stories about how the Bills are kicking ass and going deep into the playoffs than about how player XYZ helped some little old lady and her dog across the street. As long as this does not interfere with his performance on the field, whatever, I say"