Dinosaur BBQ now official BBQ of the Bills!

Buffalo wings though, I stand by those numbers. If you can make a crispy, juicy wing the the sauce is all that matters.

You make it sound so easy, yet bars everywhere continue to crank out nasty, flabby, under cooked wings. I'm not for the death penalty, but.....well, some poor chickens gave up their wings needlessly.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

alright. we are cool.

so lets talk wings.

Is this not the traditional home recipe ? i

Wings deep fried. unbreaded/ naked as some like to think/say.

Franks Red Hot and some butter warmed over .

add wings shake it around..

and serve.

What is the Original recipe and did Anchor really start the unhealthy but o so tasty treats?

Anchor did start it. You need to add vinegar and cayenne pepper. You would think most of the time cayenne is just adding to the mix but it does offer it's own flavor. I'm a big vinegar guy so sometimes people don't like my wings. I use franks normally but mix it up a bit every now and then to see what I can turn out. But like i said, the trick is to get the wings so crispy that even when you soak them for 10 minutes they are still crisp and still juicy.

alright. we are cool.

so lets talk wings.

Is this not the traditional home recipe ? i

Wings deep fried. unbreaded/ naked as some like to think/say.

Franks Red Hot and some butter warmed over .

add wings shake it around..

and serve.

What is the Original recipe and did Anchor really start the unhealthy but o so tasty treats?

I think anchor bar as legend has it did start wings. IMO anchor bar, duffs, and La Nova are for touristos now. We were in town in July and finally got to Bar- Bill in East Aurora IMO there wings are great ,really good! and their beef on weck even better. many of the old bars in Buffalo beat the tourist havens easily in the wing dept.

i think your basic wing recipe is darn close too anchor bar minus maybe the wings are rolled in flour or something. Bar-Bill opens very early and on game weekends it is probably useless to even attempt getting in unless you have time past 11AM. Anyday for that matter.

You make it sound so easy, yet bars everywhere continue to crank out nasty, flabby, under cooked wings. I'm not for the death penalty, but.....well, some poor chickens gave up their wings needlessly.

That's because you are eating at a bar. No offense but I've never gone to a bar and thought that I had to go back because of the food.

I think anchor bar as legend has it did start wings. IMO anchor bar, duffs, and La Nova are for touristos now. We were in town in July and finally got to Bar- Bill in East Aurora IMO there wings are great ,really good! and their beef on weck even better. many of the old bars in Buffalo beat the tourist havens easily in the wing dept.

i think your basic wing recipe is darn close too anchor bar minus maybe the wings are rolled in flour or something. Bar-Bill opens very early and on game weekends it is probably useless to even attempt getting in unless you have time past 11AM. Anyday for that matter.

Duff's is still my favorite over anchor. La Nova you can tell they did everything they could to mimic anchor so they are a distant 3rd.

I think it's a light flour/batter that they use to get them a little more crispy but they end up having to overcook the chicken to get the crispy batter, IMO.

Edited by The Wiz

That's because you are eating at a bar. No offense but I've never gone to a bar and thought that I had to go back because of the food..

No offense (really) but if you offer wings, you're at least half bar. The line blurs, but fine dining does not include wings.

And Duffs will be on my agenda for my next trip back.

No offense (really) but if you offer wings, you're at least half bar. The line blurs, but fine dining does not include wings.

hell no! wings are for us ruffians!!

and ne'er do wells!

Go Bills!

searing flour.

i use it on my thin cut chops. and high heat.

maintaining the 345 is key to crisped wing. dont just dump those dozen in there friends. gently introduce them

I'll give you that on the wings. It was more to the point that bar food is bar food (nachos, chips/dip, wings, etc). Most of them are just cooking to get you the food and not make you want to come back because of the food. As long as you're drinking they will feed you fried toilet paper if you asked for it.

I'd be interested to hear how Duff's is doing. I'll admit I haven't been in a few years so don't know if they are still holding up to their previous standard. I live in Rochester now so I'm looking forward to seeing how the new Duff's here holds up.

I will say though. If you want the biggest wings I like Wings over Rochester. They aren't crispy(unless you get a dry rub wing) but they are pretty big compared to most places. A 1/2lb (6-8 wings) is pretty comparable to a dozen anywhere else.

Edited by The Wiz

hell no! wings are for us ruffians!!

and ne'er do wells!

Go Bills!

searing flour.

i use it on my thin cut chops. and high heat.

maintaining the 345 is key to crisped wing. dont just dump those dozen in there friends. gently introduce them

I like it! let them make friends slowly! I was told flabby wings came from a bar. ALL wings come from a bar (or your house). Bad wings come from bad wing bars. I'd gladly taste the wings or tailgate food of anyone here. I couldn't post in the tailgate thread, becaue as an out of towner now I have to mooch off you guys!

I'll give you that on the wings. It was more to the point that bar food is bar food (nachos, chips/dip, wings, etc). Most of them are just cooking to get you the food and not make you want to come back because of the food. As long as you're drinking they will feed you fried toilet paper if you asked for it.

I'd be interested to hear how Duff's is doing. I'll admit I haven't been in a few years so don't know if they are still holding up to their previous standard. I live in Rochester now so I'm looking forward to seeing how the new Duff's here holds up.

I will say though. If you want the biggest wings I like Wings over Rochester. They aren't crispy(unless you get a dry rub wing) but they are pretty big compared to most places.

I definitely understand where you're coming from. Most places are more into cranking out the (high margin) alcohol and hoping the food isn't so bad you complain. I understand. I hope Duffs is what I remember because I hope to be back in a few months. (Though mostly I was there for cold beer, and therefore my other memories may have been.... influenced.)

I definitely understand where you're coming from. Most places are more into cranking out the (high margin) alcohol and hoping the food isn't so bad you complain. I understand. I hope Duffs is what I remember because I hope to be back in a few months. (Though mostly I was there for cold beer, and therefore my other memories may have been.... influenced.)

Well most of my memories from Duff's and Anchor were "influenced" so you're in good company but I still preferred Duff's if I had a choice.... and a ride.

Well most of my memories from Duff's and Anchor were "influenced" so you're in good company but I still preferred Duff's if I had a choice.... and a ride.

It's funny, but I never once went to the Anchor Bar until I took my kids back for Bills games. I took my oldest son the day of the USC/Notre Dame game when Bush pushed Lienert across the goal line. Awesome day and weekend! My sons are huge fans now!!! Duffs was closer to home and the pitchers were chilly. Back then we almost took wings for granted. A college buddy had a daughter playing NCAA hoops in WNY a few years ago and sent me a picture, so I had to go. Odd how life works. Some place on Transit (Rosies?) had great wings. Probably long, long gone. A great place to grow up.

Well if you're doing Duffs I would only recommend the on Orchard Park Rd. Careful what you order though, I can only do mild medium in there anymore though. **** is too hot on any other.

But there are way better places I could recommend before Duffs.

It's funny, but I never once went to the Anchor Bar until I took my kids back for Bills games. I took my oldest son the day of the USC/Notre Dame game when Bush pushed Lienert across the goal line. Awesome day and weekend! My sons are huge fans now!!! Duffs was closer to home and the pitchers were chilly. Back then we almost took wings for granted. A college buddy had a daughter playing NCAA hoops in WNY a few years ago and sent me a picture, so I had to go. Odd how life works. Some place on Transit (Rosies?) had great wings. Probably long, long gone. A great place to grow up.

I am 52 and went to anchor first time about 10 years ago, and only went as the gents from out of town coming to Bills game insisted on going. Must say I enjoyed the place way more than I thought I woud, and we return every Pats game. Now.

Thats why we soak wood chips. to get them to steam off and add the flavor.

Wet Mop anyone?

Dude at amazing ribs swears soaking chips/chunks is just a waste of time...would link but on phone about to go into subway tunnel. Google it up, interesting read.

Dude at amazing ribs swears soaking chips/chunks is just a waste of time...would link but on phone about to go into subway tunnel. Google it up, interesting read.

When I use my portable smoker, what I find most challenging is trying to keep the temperature consistent at around 225 degrees for the five plus hours I am smoking the ribs. Soaking the chips IMHO helps in this regard. Probably a waste of time with a smoker that has an attached box. Ahhhhh, some day I will graduate to this type of a system. Wow, all this talk of BBQ makes me want to run out and get some ribs....

When I use my portable smoker, what I find most challenging is trying to keep the temperature consistent at around 225 degrees for the five plus hours I am smoking the ribs. Soaking the chips IMHO helps in this regard. Probably a waste of time with a smoker that has an attached box. Ahhhhh, some day I will graduate to this type of a system. Wow, all this talk of BBQ makes me want to run out and get some ribs....

I did.

I am plotting a window of time as we speak.

you people are bad influence/

I am 52 and went to anchor first time about 10 years ago, and only went as the gents from out of town coming to Bills game insisted on going. Must say I enjoyed the place way more than I thought I woud, and we return every Pats game. Now.

I think we all have our methods. i am too old to change ha ha!

I did.

I am plotting a window of time as we speak.

you people are bad influence/

I think we all have our methods. i am too old to change ha ha!

Rubbing down two racks of St. Louis style ribs and firing up the smoker as we speak. Low and slow with plenty of time for refreshments in between!

Cool, I've always heard Virginia is a BBQ hotspot...oh wait, I have never heard that, ever. We're talking opinions here. I prefer fall off the bone to not, I prefer the places I've eaten in Texas, NC (where I lived for a few years and tried many places), and Suzy-Qs here to Dinosaur BBQ. Dinosaur is great and I'll never say otherwise, I just like the other ones better.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion but if you think that Virginia doesn't know BBQ, then you're misinformed. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Plain and simple.

Hopefully while in Austin you hit Franklin Q. BTW, he has a show on PBS now that is pretty interesting. On in Richmonf about noon Saturday's. Q with Franklin I think it's called..shows one how to build own smokers, different techniques....not your average cooking how to.

Cool you got to try all the food at a taping of that show. Myron cracks me up. i have met Tuffy a few times at his original restaurant here in Richmond,..he is actually in there quite a bit.

Sadly I did not - that place is on the all time list though! Funny, I had just watched the first Franklin show just before I read this :beer: The Franklin Barbecue is a must for any aspiring chef!

It was pretty neat to meet those guys, if only they were cooking!

To me , ain't a pulled pig sammie UNLESS there is slaw on top. LOL

Then you would like the one at Good Smoke :)

I have not been to Good smoke yet. what do you recommend? I really should give them a try. and people going to camp should be aware its about two minutes away from Fisher. so small though it must be take out mostly?

I haven't had anything bad there yet. We generally get a few pulled pork sammiches and a rack or two of their ribs. It is small, but they have 4 or 6 tables in there to eat at if you like.

I prefer Dino, but to each their own

Yup, generally a matter of how you like it. But to me, McDonalds is to a hamburger what Dino is to BBQ.

Been by there before---I thought it was abandoned!

Like I said, dive :) But they have a few tables and good food. More tables to eat there than Good Smoke has actually.

Edited by CodeMonkey

But there are way better places I could recommend before Duffs.

I'm trying to figure out what home game to hit this year and I'm wide open to suggestions around Williamsville or downtown.

I am 52 and went to anchor first time about 10 years ago, and only went as the gents from out of town coming to Bills game insisted on going. Must say I enjoyed the place way more than I thought I woud, and we return every Pats game.

I also enjoyed the Anchor Bar thoroughly and was surpised to find the beef on weck was at least as good as the wings. We had a great time and I'd do it again if nearby. I like to stay in Williamsville which was home for me, so it's a bit of a trek. Something closer would be nice. I never took the kids to Duffs because, I guess in my ming at least, it was the home of pitchers of beer more than wings. That tells you a bit about my childhood. :)

Then you would like the one at Good Smoke :)

I haven't had anything bad there yet. We generally get a few pulled pork sammiches and a rack or two of their ribs. It is small, but they have 4 or 6 tables in there to eat at if you like.

Yup, generally a matter of how you like it. But to me, McDonalds is to a hamburger what Dino is to BBQ.

Like I said, dive :) But they have a few tables and good food. More tables to eat there than Good Smoke has actually.

Just went to Good Smoke> you know you have something when you have to wait fifteen minutes for a pulled pork sandwich. Tonight we went there before a show.

wow. this is the real deal. from the corn bread to the cheesy tater tots>

i had the pulled pork sandwich. WITH red/green cabbaged cole slaw.

These people know their craft. we did not add any after sauces to our meals.

Damn that place is good. call ahead though. seem most orders are take out.

going back for sure and the family said more than once how good it was. not to criticise the Dino.

But those going to Fisher should make a point to find this little joint !

Thanks for the suggestion!!

Just went to Good Smoke> you know you have something when you have to wait fifteen minutes for a pulled pork sandwich. Tonight we went there before a show.

wow. this is the real deal. from the corn bread to the cheesy tater tots>

i had the pulled pork sandwich. WITH red/green cabbaged cole slaw.

These people know their craft. we did not add any after sauces to our meals.

Damn that place is good. call ahead though. seem most orders are take out.

going back for sure and the family said more than once how good it was. not to criticise the Dino.

But those going to Fisher should make a point to find this little joint !

Thanks for the suggestion!!

You are very welcome! And try the ribs sometime. But call ahead or get there early, when they are gone they are gone until the next day! :)

Agree 110%.

I've actually started grilling wings at home. Don't like the mess and smell of deep frying, and if you're patient and let the wings sit on the grill long enough you can get great char/crispness so they hold up to the sauce.

You are very welcome! And try the ribs sometime. But call ahead or get there early, when they are gone they are gone until the next day! :)

:thumbsup:

Agree 110%.

I've actually started grilling wings at home. Don't like the mess and smell of deep frying, and if you're patient and let the wings sit on the grill long enough you can get great char/crispness so they hold up to the sauce.

I have gotten away from deep frying also.

Grilling can be pretty flexible i am learning. just controlling the heat is the trick i think.

and yes they will fall off the bone.

geez im hungry again

If you are expecting the best bbq you have ever had; forget it. If you are expecting the best bbq you ever had at a football stadium? Maybe.

What you get at the Ralph will probably be similar to what you get at the New York State Great Fair (or the catering business.) The best bbq you ever had? No. Pretty decent bbq for a big event. You bet'ya.