RIP Ken Stabler

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He was one of the last group of players that didn't do any off-season conditioning. Seems like he always came to camp over weight, out of shape and hung over.. Ha! I'm STILL amazed we beat them in the '74 Opener on MNF!!

I was at that game! Loved the twists and turns.

He was one of the last group of players that didn't do any off-season conditioning. Seems like he always came to camp over weight, out of shape and hung over.. Ha! I'm STILL amazed we beat them in the '74 Opener on MNF!!

I was at that game, great game and fun.

Stabler was the perfect QB for those Raider teams. Was never a Raider fan, but they were entertaining.

One of my all time favorite players to watch. This is a good piece that explains why he's not in the HOF. http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/02/29/a-deeper-look-at-the-stabler-hall-of-fame-debate/?_r=0

I think he should be in because I value quality and not mere quantity, and because from 1973-1979 he was an elite qb in some of the most memorable games in league history.

Me too. Rashad's 2 TDs were right in front of our lower end zone seats! What a thrilling game!

That was an all time great game. The parallels between that and the Rams-Bills MNF game in '89 are unreal.

I totally agree on the bolded part, but the Chiefs!? You picked the Chiefs as your "good team"? Mine was the Raiders.....

I loved the Chiefs for beating the Vikings in Super Bowl IV. Those two teams had wars and seemed to be on the 4PM game every week! Hank Stram signed my cast when I had a broken arm...........Loved Dawson, Taylor, Garrett, Buchanan, Bell, Lanier, Robinson, etc.

And, my friends loved the Raiders. So, I really hated them!

I was heartbroken when the Dolphins beat the Chiefs on Christmas night in the longest game ever played to knock them out of the playoffs. The Dolphins had stunk up till that point.

It used to be that you could find a clip of the final part of that game on youtube, but not anymore. The best part? The sad 2-person Billy Buffalo who trots out onto the field at the end, akin to the 2-person horses everyone saw in 5th grade school theater productions. Does anyone have a link to that video?

Probably the best litmus test I have ever heard for Pro Football HOF Status is " Would you be able to tell the story of the NFL without mentioning this guy?". Seems obvious to me that Ken Stabler is a HUGE part of any discussion of NFL in the 70's.

Now.. I'm too young to have watched Ken Stabler play in person.. but anyone who has the slightest sense of the history of the game knows about his legend and the legendary games and plays he has been involved in. I don't need to rehash them all here.

Sure .. I've heard that many HOF voters have turned him down because of his supposed bad practice habits and general laziness.. but look at the end results.. and ask yourself " Can I tell the story of the NFL without mentioning Kenny Stabler?" and the answer is.. "Hell No"

And if you answer "Hell No" than the next logical step is to say "Hell Yes" to The Snake being in Pro Football HOF.

Edited by Bocephuz

Probably the best litmus test I have ever heard for Pro Football HOF Status is " Would you be able to tell the story of the NFL without mentioning this guy?". Seems obvious to me that Ken Stabler is a HUGE part of any discussion of NFL in the 70's.

Now.. I'm too young to have watched Ken Stabler play in person.. but anyone who has the slightest sense of the history of the game knows about his legend and the legendary games and plays he has been involved in. I don't need to rehash them all here.

Sure .. I've heard that many HOF voters have turned him down because of his supposed bad practice habits and general laziness.. but look at the end results.. and ask yourself " Can I tell the story of the NFL without mentioning Kenny Stabler?" and the answer is.. "Hell No"

And if you answer "Hell No" than the next logical step is to say "Hell Yes" to The Snake being in Pro Football HOF.

Agreed. The Puritans are keeping him out.