Dareus seems keen on staying (update: Talks at a standstill)

I don't know where you're getting your information from, but you're saying he quit because he wasn't willing to make changes to improve a putrid offense? If true, he's an even bigger dolt than I thought, and that still doesn't address the widespread chatter about how miserable the atmosphere was at OBD under Marrone's watch.

Sounds like it became a pissing match between Marrone and Whaley over the way the offense should be run, and Whaley won (as he should have).

I'm really sorry Marrone "feels bad" about quitting his job and earning $4M -- cry me a river.

ill also chime in that "worked for all parties involved" probably doesnt cover a bunch of his staff that mightve been better off simply being fired instead of kept in limbo because he bailed on them.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could have come down to something as basic as them wanting to fire Hackett, and Marrone sticking up for his buddy, which is commendable, to an extent.

It's also short-sighted, arrogant, naive, disloyal (to anyone not named Hackett), and a number of other adjectives.

Could have come down to something as basic as them wanting to fire Hackett, and Marrone sticking up for his buddy, which is commendable, to an extent.

I doubt it. It was probably a few of them. Years ago, people always thought that Wade Phillips stuck up for his buddy Ronnie Jones and fell in his sword, but Ralph had a list of 3-4 other guys he wanted gone, too, and that is why Wade left, not Ronnie Jones. Not that the Wade incident automatically means the same thing happened, only that the entire offensive staff and philosophy was bad, and it was Marrone's offense that Hackett was running. I don't think it was feasible that El Petulante would only want Hackett gone.

It's also short-sighted, arrogant, naive, disloyal (to anyone not named Hackett), and a number of other adjectives.

Hence the "to an extent" part. :)

I thought Marrone bailed because he asked for an extension from Pegula, but didn't get it. While that might be valid exoneration in some instances, I don't see any proof that he had come remotely close to earning an extension. I applaud Pegula for not buckling to that pressure and thus quickly ridding the team of a bad head coach. It sucks that the assistant coaches got caught up in it too, though.

You can take it for whatever it's worth but I know two things to be true: number one, Marrone quit primarily because he refused to fire the bulk of his offensive coaching staff and the players know that. Two, Marrone feels bad about how it went down and was second guessing himself shortly after quitting. Lot of presumptions on this website that are not at all accurate. That all being said, yes, I'm sure the players will and already do prefer playing for Rex Ryan.

Yes, he refused to make the correct decision in the best interest of the team and instead chose cronyism over the Buffalo Bills and their fanbase. You can laud that if you wish, but I personally think that's BS. Also, I think that perspective misses the other key element: he was seeking an extension by exercising the opt out clause, as well. It wasn't just for his fellow coaches. It was for himself.

Secondly, of course he second guesses himself about it now. He's the offensive line coach for the freaking Jacksonville Jaguars. He made a strategic gamble and he lost (but hedged by still getting paid). Bottom line is there is a lot of smoke to support the notion that he was overall a bad head coach, and there is a visible fire burning to show his offensive ineptness. Seriously one of the worst offensive minds in the game. We are lucky he did what he did. I thank him for overplaying his hand. Nothing could have been better for this team.

Kyle and Mario Williams had a much bigger impact on Dareus than Marrone.

Dude has been a stud since college. He is on a similar career path to Sapp and is a HOFer if he wants to be. He made a couple stupid mistakes in a very difficult life. You sign Dareus at all cost and put workout incentives in. He's one of the best players in the NFL.

Yes, he refused to make the correct decision in the best interest of the team and instead chose cronyism over the Buffalo Bills and their fanbase. You can laud that if you wish, but I personally think that's BS. Also, I think that perspective misses the other key element: he was seeking an extension by exercising the opt out clause, as well. It wasn't just for his fellow coaches. It was for himself.

Secondly, of course he second guesses himself about it now. He's the offensive line coach for the freaking Jacksonville Jaguars. He made a strategic gamble and he lost (but hedged by still getting paid). Bottom line is there is a lot of smoke to support the notion that he was overall a bad head coach, and there is a visible fire burning to show his offensive ineptness. Seriously one of the worst offensive minds in the game. We are lucky he did what he did. I thank him for overplaying his hand. Nothing could have been better for this team.

He was second guessing it immediately after- well before he found out he wasn't getting any other head coaching jobs. Again, not that it matters. And I don't disagree with you either.

I think his off field conduct certainly affects his value.Many teams have come to realize that lack of smarts matters. Marv Levy and Jimmy Johnson always put a lot of weight on intelligence and off field conduct.

He should be in jail, right? That was your take awhile ago at least.

If true, I'm glad to hear that the Bills were looking to get rid of the offensive coaching staff from last year. And I'm glad that Morrone refused.

And Gerald McCoy got $51.5M in guaranteed money.

No jail for sure.I don't take that stance at all.He was charged and brought to justice that's good enough for me.

Sure sounds like it wasn't good enough for you. But, you know, however you'd like to remember history.

I think the ridiculous part is that part of the plea deal requires him to hold a camp for high school students.Just what you want ,a known drug abuser with enough poor judgement to engage in an unauthorized speed contest on a public street influencing young minds.No thank you Mr. Dareus, our community seeks a higher class of teacher.

Yeah, this guy is a joke because he has an expectation of players conducting themselves with a standard of following the law .Its funny how you support the drug abuse and dangerous actions on our public streets but you criticize this writer.Someone is a complete joke but its NOT these writers.

I hope they drop the hammer on him for putting people in our community at risk.I wish the Bills organization would add to the suspension to send a message to the fans and the community at large that they give a damn.

What an idiotic response.Perhaps if he ran into a family while he was racing on a public road or a child riding a bike it would be ok because he had a hard life and hes a good player.You guys are embarrasing to all Bills fans and frankly Im losing interest in the Bills because they are quickly becoming a franchise of scumbags.

Care to revise your bs statement?

Sure sounds like it wasn't good enough for you. But, you know, however you'd like to remember history.

Care to revise your bs statement?

Absolutely not! I've remained consistent.I would like to thank you though for trolling every single post I made yesterday though.Never realized I had such a puppet on a string,I must have struck a nerve.

Absolutely not! I've remained consistent.I would like to thank you though for trolling every single post I made yesterday though.Never realized I had such a puppet on a string,I must have struck a nerve.

Every post you make is trolling by definition from your name alone attached to it.

Absolutely not! I've remained consistent...

He was charged and brought to justice that's good enough for me.

I hope they drop the hammer on him for putting people in our community at risk.I wish the Bills organization would add to the suspension to send a message to the fans and the community at large that they give a damn.

GREGGY, your initial question was if I thought he should go to jail right? I responded that I thought he should be dealt with harshly by the Buffalo Bills and face up to the charges in the courts to be brought to justice but no jail..You then dredge up several posts that are consistent with my initial comments and I don't say in any of them that he should go to jail then ask if I want to revise my bs statement. I dont mind your trolling but you don't make any sense.

It's not trolling when I'm using your own posts to demonstrate you are, very clearly, not a Bills fan and are only on here to annoy actual Bills fans. Your take on Dareus was ridiculous then, and still is. It's certainly not consistent -- by any definition of the word. I guess hats to be expected since you reside under a bridge.

But happy fourth. :beer: Enjoy your day.