Da'Rick watch 2015

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I'd expect you, given your previous defense of him, to be over defensive.

But yeah, I guess my hyperbole could be construed as over dramatic. However, I think it's justified when trying to illustrate the point. His ability to run incorrect routes has been the overriding factor in his dismissal from every team that's taken a chance on him. His occasional ability to make a mind-boggling, freak of physical nature play doesn't come close to cancelling that out. Perhaps saying "frequent" vs. "constantly" would have been a better choice of words.

I didn't realize how bad it was until I asked and was advised to re-watch the Colts vs. Patriots* playoff game two years ago, as I wondered why he never saw the field in the second half of that game. Especially since he had a nice play in the KC game the week before. Seeing the All 22, the answer was obvious. It's one thing to run the wrong route, quite another to run the wrong route that draws coverage toward another intended receiver. He did that a few times in that game. Luck's frustration was obvious as well.

Poor route running is the same issue that dogged him when he was in our camp in '13. Well, that and his umbrage at being corrected by his coaches. I was surprised that Andy Reid, given his reliance on precise route-running in his offense, took a chance on him.

Not sure what you mean by "blowing everyone else up too now."

GO BILLS!!!

It seems without even playing games your evaluations of him spiral further and further. I'm not arguing his career has been anything of note. Heck at this point it's been nothing good. Simply that I think you have gotten a bit over the top with the negativity in a way that comes across as patting yourself on the back. The further from success he gets the stronger your claims that it should have been obvious that he was to ruin his own career (and apparently the career of every body that plays offense with him).

Even in hindsight he was a low risk high reward guy. The reward never came. Happens often, and I'm not insecure in my opinion about giving him a shot when we cut him.

It seems without even playing games your evaluations of him spiral further and further. I'm not arguing his career has been anything of note. Heck at this point it's been nothing good. Simply that I think you have gotten a bit over the top with the negativity in a way that comes across as patting yourself on the back. The further from success he gets the stronger your claims that it should have been obvious that he was to ruin his own career (and apparently the career of every body that plays offense with him).

Even in hindsight he was a low risk high reward guy. The reward never came. Happens often, and I'm not insecure in my opinion about giving him a shot when we cut him.

Certainly looks like you're insecure.

Certainly looks like you're insecure.

It's a convo that's been ongoing for years now between a couple of us. I'm going to give k9 a hard time for his argument against him seeming to grow/evolve without any snaps being taken.

All I was saying with that last bit was even if darick was the wrong guy, i still think it's the right long term strategy when you weigh the wins and losses following it over time. If you chalk that up as insecure, so be it.

Edited by NoSaint

It's a convo that's been ongoing for years now between a couple of us. I'm going to give k9 a hard time for his argument against him seeming to grow/evolve without any snaps being taken.

All I was saying with that last bit was even if darick was the wrong guy, i still think it's the right long term strategy when you weigh the wins and losses following it over time. If you chalk that up as insecure, so be it.

Insecure being that you had to exaggerate what he said about affecting other receivers routes to defend your point. Twice. I've been around the Da'Rick talk since the legend began. You thought it was worth it to waste a roster spot on a guy who doesn't work hard, can't run routes and can't play special teams, all because he was good in the SEC and can make the occasional circus catch. Any long term strategy that wastes a roster spot on a guy not willing to work is a bad strategy. You were/are wrong. It's ok.

Insecure being that you had to exaggerate what he said about affecting other receivers routes to defend your point. Twice. I've been around the Da'Rick talk since the legend began. You thought it was worth it to waste a roster spot on a guy who doesn't work hard, can't run routes and can't play special teams, all because he was good in the SEC and can make the occasional circus catch. Any long term strategy that wastes a roster spot on a guy not willing to work is a bad strategy. You were/are wrong. It's ok.

I'm going to let it go here.... The argument has been made a thousand times already

You couldn't be further from the truth. A good friend of mine lobbied hard for the kid; pounded the table for him and we signed him. I take no solace whatsoever in seeing the kid throw it away because he doesn't want to put the class time in. None at all.

Players are always a 50/50 proposition. Especially low picks and UFAs and there is no greater reward than seeing one succeed. It would have been nice if the kid showed a little more gratitude.

You've consistently made the argument that he was low risk/high reward and there is merit to that. But don't ignore the fact that some other kid looking for a shot, who worked harder and made more sacrifices, lost an opportunity as a result. You seem to under estimate how valuable these slots are to teams and players alike.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Coming soon:

Stevie Watch 2015

Chandler Watch 2015

Pears Wa... Ok let's not get crazy here

Chard Rimgold Watch 2015

Jeff Tuel Watch 2015

git r dun.. don't be asleep at the wheel ya buncha Buddy Nixes

I agreed with the decision to cut him in favour of Hogan two years ago and I agree with it now. Physical gifts do not = production. This is actually a decision that people should be going back to and applauding the front office for getting absolutely spot on with the sensible decision and not the "flashy" fan pandering decision.

I agreed with the decision to cut him in favour of Hogan two years ago and I agree with it now. Physical gifts do not = production. This is actually a decision that people should be going back to and applauding the front office for getting absolutely spot on with the sensible decision and not the "flashy" fan pandering decision.

He was cut in favor of Kaufmann who was then cut in favor of Hogan a week later.

Agree with everything else in your post.

GO BILLS!!!

NoSaint I give you credit for showing up and taking your lumps (kinda) here. Kirby has been conspicuously absent :nana:

The Da'Rick threads were legendary and any new members should look them up. How many tacos have been paid out? :lol:

That said (and I will preface with the statement that I was in agreement with letting him go) Da'Rick is just an example of the philosophy they were arguing about taking a chance on the physical specimen with production at a high level college conference. It doesn't make their philosophy wrong that Da'Rick didn't work out. It can work and the Bills are certainly trying it now (Da'Rick, then Henderson, even lump Incognito in there this year) but there error was discounting the high motor, gym rat, lunch pail (am I missing any white guy euphemisms?) STUD that is Chris Hogan! :wub::lol:

Seriously though if Hogan and Da'Rick didn't come in the same year I don't think Hogan would get half the hate he does. That catch against Minn alone would have gotten him tons of support from the board. He's just a guy who routinely outworks and out hustles people on the practice field and in the weight room. This is the second coaching staff to rave about him. Maybe it is time to cut him a little slack?

NoSaint I give you credit for showing up and taking your lumps (kinda) here. Kirby has been conspicuously absent :nana:

no problem owning my opinion on that one. i was going to stay MIA for the sake of not opening the debate back up but the "constantly running routes that draw defenders to other receivers" bugged me a little.

oh well - is what it is. getting the high upside guy sometimes lands you a jerry hughes, other times you end up with darick instead of hogan.