Cary Williams and Evan Mathis not fans of Chip Kelly either

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/09/cary-williams-chip-kellys-conditioning-doesnt-necessarily-work/

@ProFootballTalk: Cary Williams says Chip Kelly's conditioning doesn't work and the Eagles were out-coached in most games http://t.co/EUIQKMVq9S

@ProFootballTalk: Evan Mathis is miffed at the Eagles for pulling an enhanced contract offer from the table http://t.co/64Wf08K6Uv

Edited by YoloinOhio

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/06/09/cary-williams-chip-kellys-conditioning-doesnt-necessarily-work/

@ProFootballTalk: Cary Williams says Chip Kelly's conditioning doesn't work and the Eagles were out-coached in most games http://t.co/EUIQKMVq9S

@ProFootballTalk: Evan Mathis is miffed at the Eagles for pulling an enhanced contract offer from the table http://t.co/64Wf08K6Uv

Mathis is doing a tremendous impression of Bill the Cat in the photo you linked.

Williams was cut, so.....his comments are suspect. Mathis wants more money.

Do you really think he loved the program, thought it worked, but just decided to say some random critical thing about the coach on his way out?

I'm finding that the traditional "college coach" who has made the jump to the NFL is not one that is favored by players. Chip, Harbough, Saban, these are great college coaches who run tight ships and have extremely rigid expectations. Expectations that can be me by easily influenced young college players for 3 or 4 years. However, bringing this mentality to NFL players seems to be unsettling for their lockrooms. Professionals don't want to be treated like they're in college and prefer to play for more player friendly coaches. Regardless of how successful all three coaches I mentioned are, I believe that their personalities and programs are structured to be successful short term, with new, open minded players every few years

I think the Bills are well past the point of interest in acquiring Mathis.

I'd think the Bills would still be very interested in acquiring a guard the caliber of Mathis. He'd be a big upgrade. They're just way beyond the point of being able to afford him.

Do you really think he loved the program, thought it worked, but just decided to say some random critical thing about the coach on his way out?

No but I would consider his opinions on good vs bad suspect.

Not that I'm defending chip. He has plenty of questions about him too. Just saying Cary Williams may not be the best evaluator of anything.

I'd think the Bills would still be very interested in acquiring a guard the caliber of Mathis. He'd be a big upgrade. They're just way beyond the point of being able to afford him.

They could but the structure would probably require them to view him as a building block not a hired gun, at this point.

bills are still $6 mil under the cap and could still cut a few players to free up more.

Mathis would be a perfect fit......he is worth it.

Probably very little interest actually. Mathis is a zone blocking guard, which we played last year. This year they are using power blocking schemes, which don't fit Mathis' game at all. He's one of the lightest guards in the NFL.

Williams was cut, so.....his comments are suspect. Mathis wants more money.

Doesn't make their thoughts not true. It would be one thing if these were the only guys speaking out against Kelly but clearly he has plenty of detractors who have spoken out against him. At some point SOMETHING has to be true...

Doesn't make their thoughts not true. It would be one thing if these were the only guys speaking out against Kelly but clearly he has plenty of detractors who have spoken out against him. At some point SOMETHING has to be true...

if I recall correctly Williams said something last year too while he was still on the team about the Saturday practices. If you don't agree with those, Chip will be rid of you. Though I don't think Williams is very good. Where is he now, Seattle?

No but I would consider his opinions on good vs bad suspect.

Not that I'm defending chip. He has plenty of questions about him too. Just saying Cary Williams may not be the best evaluator of anything.

They could but the structure would probably require them to view him as a building block not a hired gun, at this point.

bills are still $6 mil under the cap and could still cut a few players to free up more.

Mathis would be a perfect fit......he is worth it.

No, they really couldn't fit him under without freeing up some real cap space. That $6M the Bills currently are looking at will have to cover unsigned draft picks, a full 53 man roster (under Rule of 51 now), a practice squad and any in-season additions due to players going on IR. Also forget about some magical contract structure that pushes the cap hit off until next year as that looks even looks tighter. Plus there's the little matter of upcoming free agents needing signed. Players like Dareus.

Probably very little interest actually. Mathis is a zone blocking guard, which we played last year. This year they are using power blocking schemes, which don't fit Mathis' game at all. He's one of the lightest guards in the NFL.

He's 300 pounds, isn't he? That seems like a reasonable weight for a guy who plays LG and would be required to pull. Even in a power scheme you need guys who can do that

Edited by BarleyNY

No, they really couldn't fit him under without freeing up some real cap space. That $6M the Bills currently are looking at will have to cover unsigned draft picks, a full 53 man roster (under Rule of 51 now), a practice squad and any in-season additions due to players going on IR. Also forget about some magical contract structure that pushes the cap hit off until next year as that looks even looks tighter. Plus there's the little matter of upcoming free agents needing signed. Players like Dareus.

He's 300 pounds, isn't he? That seems like a reasonable weight for a guy who plays LG and would be required to pull. Even in a power scheme you need guys who can do that

i don't think they have any unsigned draft picks

It seems Mathis missed out on an offer for more money in the hopes to get even more money. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered. It seems he has a case of buyers remorse or maybe better termed non buyers remorse. Boo boo Mathis! Everyone makes choices that aren't good. Don't blame others. That any NFL players like guaranteed money! Mathis rolled the bones and lost. Deal with it.

i don't think they have any unsigned draft picks

correct.

with the picks signed, and dead money our top 51 number leaves us a shade over 7m left. final 53, assuming we cut no one in the top 51 is at worst 6m at this point, but may go up if we toss a guy like chris williams for instance (which would clearly happen if we added a guard).

odds are we could make the dollars and cents add up, but itd be iffy on if things truly made sense giving him the deal he likely wants. its tempting.

Edited by NoSaint

if I recall correctly Williams said something last year too while he was still on the team about the Saturday practices. If you don't agree with those, Chip will be rid of you. Though I don't think Williams is very good. Where is he now, Seattle?

Correct here. Cary is indeed in Seattle.

For the record, he is not the only player to disagree with the Chip Kelly way regarding practices. But TBH I don't know if he could be any more tired with Chip's high tempo offense doing a lot of quick 3 and outs.

For the most part, Kelly is a good coach. But really, the necessary drawback to running a high speed offense is that you *have* to go fast. It's for that reason I actually think we match up rather well against the Eagles this year.