Sal's Film Review: Greg Roman's Power Sweep

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also what Marrone did.

From what I've read, Roman does a combination of Gap and Zone blocking. I'm curious to see what he does.

I will never understand how our blocking became so terrible under Marrone... it wasn't amazing with Chan, but at least we had running room, and Fitz had enough time to get a pass off (even if it was ill advised)

I will never understand how our blocking became so terrible under Marrone... it wasn't amazing with Chan, but at least we had running room, and Fitz had enough time to get a pass off (even if it was ill advised)

Coaching matters. They also had Levitre with Chan, and most of the same players in 2013 and they weren't bad and Glenn had a great year.

Last year you saw Glenn and Wood regress. The Chris Williams debacle began. Pears, easily the 2ND weakest point on the line, got shoved inside to guard in place of the serviceable Urbik. Three rookies with excellent reviews for physical talents (Cyrus was considered a late first, Henderson was called first round talent with a 10 cent head) failed to develop.

And some point, coaching had an effect rather than talent evaluation.

What a difference personnel makes.

Zone blocking is what Chan implemented, right?

yes, with a little bit different unit. Levitre could move around the field, pull, sweep and get his hips right. Incognito is not as good at this but more powerful overall. He will fill Levitres role.

Matt Cassel replies, “Why would he do that?”

Lets not act like Cassel is Orton here....Matt does have some mobility

Coaching matters. They also had Levitre with Chan, and most of the same players in 2013 and they weren't bad and Glenn had a great year.

Last year you saw Glenn and Wood regress. The Chris Williams debacle began. Pears, easily the 2ND weakest point on the line, got shoved inside to guard in place of the serviceable Urbik. Three rookies with excellent reviews for physical talents (Cyrus was considered a late first, Henderson was called first round talent with a 10 cent head) failed to develop.

And some point, coaching had an effect rather than talent evaluation.

I know that people like to beat this drum a lot....but I would encourage people to go back and look at the 3 games Chris Willams managed to play...he was NOT as bad ad is being advertised right up till he was out on IR with the back

Im not saying he is back or even that he SHOULD be back.....I think we are good at OG....just that the OL started deteriorating quickly AFTER Chris Williams went on IR

man wouldn't it be great if there was some sort of comparison to the greg roman power sweep or crash sweep in this video so we could see what the difference is between his brand of power running and say doug marrone's or chan's? is a sweep a sweep or is one different than another? "zone" blocking seems like such a vanilla term these days like saying Rex runs a 3-4.

to me it looks exactly like the good old wing-t power series sweep. all down with backside-g pull. and btw, i don´t think it´s just gore picking the wrong hole. it´s more like the pulling G failed to kick the LB out.

Everyone does. All teams use some zone and some man blocking schemes but Zone is the predominant method in the NFL and has been for many years.

I'm admittedly incredibly ignorant when it comes to blocking schemes :lol:

Once again I will ask: Can we buy Mike Schopp out of his contract, and replace him with Sal C? I'm this close to doing a Kickstarter for this.

I catch myself listening to WGR to see what's up on Buffalo Sports, then Schopp comes on and talks about not sports, but his favorite actress, favorite food, favorite color, favorite holiday, favorite song, favorite hot dog topping... Etc... Etc...

Once again I will ask: Can we buy Mike Schopp out of his contract, and replace him with Sal C? I'm this close to doing a Kickstarter for this.

What? And miss out on the draft of characters from Orange is the New Black?

I catch myself listening to WGR to see what's up on Buffalo Sports, then Schopp comes on and talks about not sports, but his favorite actress, favorite food, favorite color, favorite holiday, favorite song, favorite hot dog topping... Etc... Etc...

And always it's I or me. The guy really loves himself.