4 reasons Ray Rice could sign with Buffalo Bills

HOUSE

In the year and a half former Baltimore Ravens’ running back Ray Rice has been out of the NFL, speculation about his return and a possible destination have been all over the map.

This past week we got some more clarification on what the talk around the league is in regards to the three-time Pro Bowler signing with a new team.

Sports Illustrated Senior Writer Don Banks posted a great read on Thursday summarizing his conversations with multiple sources including NFL coaches, executives, scouts, general managers and more about the Ray Rice situation. As expected there were various opinions, but if you’re a Bills’ fan, some intriguing points are brought up in Banks’ article in relation to Rice landing in Buffalo.

Right or wrong, productive or regressive, here are four reasons Ray Rice could join Rex Ryan in Buffalo. Snip

http://nysportsbiz.com/nysportsbiz/buffalo-bills-2015/

Those 4 reasons are somewhat stupid IMO.

1. Rex LOVES Rice from his 1 year cross-over at Ravens.

I find this hard to believe. Why would the Defensive Coordinator of a team build such strong affection for a 2nd round offensive draft pick that is a backup the year that he is there? He might have LOVED his potential at that point, but that's about all I would think.

2. Run heavy, North-South runner system.

Apart from the fact that we are loaded with RBs of all types and styles at the moment, if we are so fixated on needing a North-South style RB it really brings into question as to why we would trade for Shady. Rather than being in need of a N/S style RB, I would think that what we need are RBs that can hit the hole.....which we have in Shady & FJ etc.

3. He's cheap.

This reason would apply to every team.

4. Pegula's not afraid of controversy.

Name a team that is afraid of controversy. They all are, and aren't, depending on the situation.

This would not even be on anybody's radar if not for the tenuous Rex-Rice connection.

I guess you could go through a bunch of scenarios with our existing running backs and try and make sense of interest in Rice. Fred and Boobie and Brown, etc, but for me the door closes with Karlos Williams. It's hard to make sense of it getting past the vets and a rookie being drafted.

I think it would be wise to kick the tires on Ray Rice. Fred is on his last leg and Dixon is no longer needed as we have a true FB plus hes slow. Bryce Brown sucks. As for Shady, he will gradually wear down as the season goes on. The depth chart would be as follows.

Shady - An East/West runner

Rice - A North/South Runner

Fred - On his last leg, but honorable and serviceable.

Williams - Rodney Hampton in his Rookie season. Can take over next year when Rice, Fred leave.

I think it would be wise to kick the tires on Ray Rice. Fred is on his last leg and Dixon is no longer needed as we have a true FB plus hes slow. Bryce Brown sucks. As for Shady, he will gradually wear down as the season goes on. The depth chart would be as follows.

Shady - An East/West runner

Rice - A North/South Runner

Fred - On his last leg, but honorable and serviceable.

Williams - Rodney Hampton in his Rookie season. Can take over next year when Rice, Fred leave.

Fred will be fine like always. Boobie Dixon wasn't used as a FB he was used as a RB. He had decent year running but killed on special teams blocking 2 punts, one in which he was pretty much the only guy rushing the punter. I don't see the Bills getting rid of Dixon. Why would a new RB, with all Ray's baggage, who averaged 3.1 yards a carry his last year in the league and a year removed from the league be a better option than the heart and soul of the team? I agree with you on Brown, shown glimpses but can't hang on to the ball. I hope the Bills stay as far away from Mr. Rice as possible.