SI: Bills could have interest in Ray Rice(update-they don't)

It's possible as long as the Pegulas would sign off on Rice. Why bring unwanted attention with respect to the DV issue?

Honestly, I think we tend to overrate unwanted attention from past incidents. If the guy doesn't have future issues then the media tends to get bored. Rice has, obviously outside the incident, generally had a good reputation before and said/done the right things since (unless I missed something). So its possible they don't expect a Ray McDonald meltdown. And we have a coach that could handle the attention.

Look at the Cowboys signing hardy or the Bears signing McDonald up until the new incident--- heck even now the Bears aren't getting beaten up or heavy distractions.

I'm not advocating here though, just discussing reasons they report miiiiight be true.

Edited by NoSaint

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly, I think we tend to overrate unwanted attention from past incidents. If the guy doesn't have future issues then the media tends to get bored. Rice has, obviously outside the incident, generally had a good reputation before and said/done the right things since (unless I missed something). So its possible they don't expect a Ray McDonald meltdown. And we have a coach that could handle the attention.

Look at the Cowboys signing hardy or the Bears signing McDonald up until the new incident--- heck even now the Bears aren't getting beaten up or heavy distractions.

I'm not advocating here though, just discussing reasons they report miiiiight be true.

Kim Pegula says NFW!

To win football games.

I don't want to come across as holy or any of that crap, because I think there are certain character blips you could overlook to take a chance on, like Darius' possession charge, but at the end of the day, I want a team of players that I wouldn't feel filthy rooting for.

Now, does that mean an extra 3 wins per year I'd be sacrificing by not wanting certain "bad guys" on our team, or can we find comparable players who can be decent people off the field?

Fred has been a great ambassador of Buffalo AND the Bills, so I have really liked our locker room makeup the last 4 years or so. But when we start switching out these guys for Rice, Harvin, I've not gotten a good personality vibe from Shady... It starts to feel gross to root for your team. They will always be your team, but up you just become a little less proud to admit that.

Like with the Yankees, they're my team, but lately it's been gross to root for them. Giambi, Clemens, A-Rod... They are not guys who I would want to root for, to varying degrees, and maybe even love to hate if they were on a different team. I don't want the Bills to become that way, too.

I don't want to come across as holy or any of that crap, because I think there are certain character blips you could overlook to take a chance on, like Darius' possession charge, but at the end of the day, I want a team of players that I wouldn't feel filthy rooting for.

Now, does that mean an extra 3 wins per year I'd be sacrificing by not wanting certain "bad guys" on our team, or can we find comparable players who can be decent people off the field?

Fred has been a great ambassador of Buffalo AND the Bills, so I have really liked our locker room makeup the last 4 years or so. But when we start switching out these guys for Rice, Harvin, I've not gotten a good personality vibe from Shady... It starts to feel gross to root for your team. They will always be your team, but up you just become a little less proud to admit that.

Like with the Yankees, they're my team, but lately it's been gross to root for them. Giambi, Clemens, A-Rod... They are not guys who I would want to root for, to varying degrees, and maybe even love to hate if they were on a different team. I don't want the Bills to become that way, too.

I agree that the whole Chip Kelly thing was pretty juvenile of him but have you ever listened to an interview with him? When they first signed him, John Murphy had on the Eagles longtime announcer and he was gushing about McCoy and what a great guy he is- friendly with the media, great ambassador for the city, etc.- and then a few days later, McCoy himself was on the show and he couldn't have come off any better. I knew nothing about the guy but he appears to be smart, friendly, active in the community, etc. I would wait and reserve your judgment on him for a minute. Also everyone says that Harvin is like the hardest working player on every team he's ever played on. Not sure what his deal is- what did he bang somebody's wife or something? Let's wait and see what he's all about for ourselves as well. Remember these are still relatively young guys. They might very well come together here and be great guys here. In fact, I expect it.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

There has been speculation that no team will give Rice a 2nd chance after what occurred with Ray McDonald.

John Clayton thinks the Pats could be a suitor:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12926969/cowboys-teams-pursue-ray-rice-training-camp-nfl?sf9468258=1

And the Pats** will be hailed as geniuses for signing him. The Bills would be derided.

I could only see it if there is an injury. But, the NFLPA is whining that Rice has been unfairly blackballed. I don't know if it's unfair, but I agree he's being blackballed. He's past his prime though.

I agree Yolo. From all indications, Rice, prior to THE incident, had a squeaky clean record. Having said that though, the Bills don't have a need for Rice.

So thats where you decided she draws the line?

An indelible impression left by video evidence can and has made significant difference in reactions from situations where there is none. That's often been the difference in all kinds of similar cases in every realm of life.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I think I would rather have an aging Fred than Rice in his current condition.... Over his past two playing seasons, his production really dropped off... I wonder if his time off has rejuvenated him or if things kept deteriorating

This is really what matters. The DV incident is horrible and Rice will have to live with it and deal with it. At this point IF he has then he should be allowed a second chance. He can spend the rest of his life being an ambassador for DV prevention and such. What I am concerned with is can he play RB at a level that will benefit the Bills. If not move on.

An indelible impression left by video evidence can and has made significant difference in reactions from situations where there is none. That's often been the difference in all kinds of similar cases in every realm of life.

Could be. I won't say its impossible that it effects her.

But it reads a little like you decided you don't like it so you are trying to declare it impossible it could happen.

This is really what matters. The DV incident is horrible and Rice will have to live with it and deal with it. At this point IF he has then he should be allowed a second chance. He can spend the rest of his life being an ambassador for DV prevention and such. What I am concerned with is can he play RB at a level that will benefit the Bills. If not move on.

Which is a good question. If I recall his production slipped when he put on weight to try and be more durable with the carries he was getting. If he shed that weight would he get the quickness back and still feel fresh in a rotational role? Or did he simply take too many hits and hit a wall?

No idea....

Could be. I won't say its impossible that it effects her.

But it reads a little like you decided you don't like it so you are trying to declare it impossible it could happen.

I haven't decided anything. If the Bills bring him in, fine by me. I just think they won't.

I haven't decided anything. If the Bills bring him in, fine by me. I just think they won't.

Sorry if I misinterpreted - by the time we hit "Kim says no way" it seems like you changed the goal line a few times in the discussion of if its possible. Kind of gave me the impression you had an outcome desired and were backfilling reasons to get there was all.

Sorry if I misinterpreted - by the time we hit "Kim says no way" it seems like you changed the goal line a few times in the discussion of if its possible. Kind of gave me the impression you had an outcome desired and were backfilling reasons to get there was all.

Wrong inference drawn. I'd be okay with him coming in. However, I already stated my reasons for why I think they won't.